Jan 28, 2020
Hi,
Recently completed my first PC build, all going hunky dory until I tried to play Subnautica on it. After a few minutes it switches off, no warning, and won't switch on again until I've switched it off and on again at the plug (mobo lights are still on after shutdown, but won't reboot until power has been disconnected long enough for mobo lights to go off).

I've been logging temperatures, CPU hovering round 38C, GPU 46C. Random amount of time before shutdown, but always within about 5 minutes. Happens when playing subnautica and cities skyline. Have also been playing Rome II total war with no problems, and in all other aspects the PC functions normally.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi,
Recently completed my first PC build, all going hunky dory until I tried to play Subnautica on it. After a few minutes it switches off, no warning, and won't switch on again until I've switched it off and on again at the plug (mobo lights are still on after shutdown, but won't reboot until power has been disconnected long enough for mobo lights to go off).

I've been logging temperatures, CPU hovering round 38C, GPU 46C. Random amount of time before shutdown, but always within about 5 minutes. Happens when playing subnautica and cities skyline. Have also been playing Rome II total war with no problems, and in all other aspects the PC functions normally.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Hi @Melkelvardil

Please list out the specs of your PC so we know what you have. Ideally PSU/Motherboard/CPU/RAM & Speed/OS. Please be as exact as possible.

Does the crash only happen while playing subnautica (GREAT game btw) and cities skyline and does it happen every time you play them?

More info please and we'll see what we can do to help. :)

Jan 28, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply!

Mobo: Asus PRIME B450M-A Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor
GPU: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
PSU: EVGA 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

All components were bought brand new in December 2019.

After completing the build I sunk 40+ hours into Rome II Total War with no issues whatsoever.
First time I tried Subnautica the PC shut down, and it happens within 5 minutes every time I try to play it (very frustrating as I've heard it's awesome!). Exactly the same with Cities Skyline. Every time I load it up, within 5 minutes there's a complete shutdown.

Jan 28, 2020
The fact that you have to switch the power off and then back on again is very likely to be a faulty PSU.

That was my thinking also, especially as temps all seem fine.
Is the PSU model appropriate and I've just had bad luck in that I've got a faulty unit, or would you recommend purchasing a better / higher spec one?