[SOLVED] New build computer turning off during clean windows installation

Feb 25, 2019
Hi there, I’ve been having problems with the computer that I have just built. Originally when in the BIOS it could stay on for hours but when I plugged in my windows 10 installer USB it would turn off.

I then discovered this was a problem with the USB stick they sent me, so I downloaded the iso from their website onto a different USB stick. I plugged this into the computer and tried to boot from it in UEFI mode, I got the ASUS logo for a few seconds before it turned off.

Then I tried not in UEFI mode and I got the windows logo for a few seconds before it turned off.
Then I saw something about the motherboard incorrectly registering the speed/voltage of the RAM. I went to check this by taking the RAM out and looking at the specifications. The speed/voltage of the RAM was different to that on the motherboard, so I tried to go back into the BIOS to change this.

However, when I tried to turn it on all the lights inside the computer turned on, but nothing came up on the screen. This isn’t anything to do with the cable because normally when I don’t press anything to enter the BIOS it just turns off however I didn’t press the delete key to put me into the BIOS and the computer stayed on even when I pressed the power button.

Any help would be much appreciated.
My specs are:
Rx 580
Ryzen 5 1600x
Corsair 450 watt power supply
Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB 3000mhz
ASUS prime B350-M

Solution
Correct but the motherboard thought they were clocked at 2133MHz

Interesting, because by the looks of it, your motherboard can support MAXIMUM DDR 2666 Megahertz RAM sticks. And what I have read you possibly need to enable some kind of auto speed setting fro your RAM in the bios. I mean if you have some old sticks of RAM lying around, it may be worth a shot just to plug those in and see what happens.

I was looking at some other forums and this what one person said; "I just built an ASUS Prime B350 Plus and had a very similar problem with my Corsair memory showing as 2133 MHz. Admittedly both RAM sticks displayed the same incorrect value however if you read towards the end you will see that I solved it relatively simply by...

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Hi there, I’ve been having problems with the computer that I have just built. Originally when in the BIOS it could stay on for hours but when I plugged in my windows 10 installer USB it would turn off.

I then discovered this was a problem with the USB stick they sent me, so I downloaded the iso from their website onto a different USB stick. I plugged this into the computer and tried to boot from it in UEFI mode, I got the ASUS logo for a few seconds before it turned off.

Then I tried not in UEFI mode and I got the windows logo for a few seconds before it turned off.
Then I saw something about the motherboard incorrectly registering the speed/voltage of the RAM. I went to check this by taking the RAM out and looking at the specifications. The speed/voltage of the RAM was different to that on the motherboard, so I tried to go back into the BIOS to change this.

However, when I tried to turn it on all the lights inside the computer turned on, but nothing came up on the screen. This isn’t anything to do with the cable because normally when I don’t press anything to enter the BIOS it just turns off however I didn’t press the delete key to put me into the BIOS and the computer stayed on even when I pressed the power button.

Any help would be much appreciated.
My specs are:
Rx 580
Ryzen 5 1600x
Corsair 450 watt power supply
Corsair vengeance LPX 8GB 3000mhz
ASUS prime B350-M

So when you turn on on your computer, the lights and everything comes on, but your screen stays blank?

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019

Have you tried switching monitor cables? I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte mobo. I was changing some fan settings in the bios, and when I booted up, everything turned on but my monitors stayed black with "no signal detected" message. I tried everything, until I switched my monitor cable out and it worked.

Feb 25, 2019
Have you tried switching monitor cables? I had a similar issue with my Gigabyte mobo. I was changing some fan settings in the bios, and when I booted up, everything turned on but my monitors stayed black with "no signal detected" message. I tried everything, until I switched my monitor cable out and it worked.
It was fine until I looked at the RAM

Feb 25, 2019
And I also use that cable for other things and it works fine

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Correct but the motherboard thought they were clocked at 2133MHz

Interesting, because by the looks of it, your motherboard can support MAXIMUM DDR 2666 Megahertz RAM sticks. And what I have read you possibly need to enable some kind of auto speed setting fro your RAM in the bios. I mean if you have some old sticks of RAM lying around, it may be worth a shot just to plug those in and see what happens.

I was looking at some other forums and this what one person said; "I just built an ASUS Prime B350 Plus and had a very similar problem with my Corsair memory showing as 2133 MHz. Admittedly both RAM sticks displayed the same incorrect value however if you read towards the end you will see that I solved it relatively simply by enabling D.O.C.P. which automatically sets the best values for your RAM. After rebooting my speeds were displayed correctly as 2666 MHz"

Another forum had a similar solution, which was to enable an option called XMP in the UEFI in BIOS; https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/3000mhz-on-2666mhz-max-capacity-issue.3282814/

Here is another forum talking about enabling the D.O.P. option; https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...lus-with-patriot-3000mhz-ddr4-issues.2969508/

Last edited:
Solution

mrgrunts

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Ok by reading everything this is what I would check, You say that it will load to a certain point then turnoff, Does it try to turn back on without you pressing the power button. If So then I would think of three things. Ram number 1. Are you running 1 or 2 cards, either way try switching slots. If you are in slots 1 and 3, try 2 and 4. if that does not work then try different cards ( just to see if it works ) This will eliminate bad cards and or card slots.BTW, when installing new cards, ASUS refers to their default settings , which I believe is 2133, so you would have to set your ram speed for anything more then that. Second thing I would try is PS unit. It will turn on, show green lights on MB But shortly after a thermal sensor will get warm and the BIOS will shut down, This is a feature that ASUS has to protect from damage. However when this is the case the PC usually does not restart on its own, you have to press the power button to restart. And 3rd. Something on the board is making contact somewhere. This would be the last thing I would check but this happen to me on a older ASUS FM3 board. After taking everything apart and reinstalling everything I found out that my monitor port was touching the case, ( bareilly, but it was touching ) reinstalled my MB with bigger spacers and wa,la, no more problems.

I hope this info helps you

Feb 25, 2019
Nearly. The computer turns on and the fans spin at full speed but nothing shows up on the monitor
(normally the fans don't spin at full speed when the computer turns on so I don't think it's a monitor or cable problem) any thoughts????

I Josh I

Prominent
Feb 12, 2019
Nearly. The computer turns on and the fans spin at full speed but nothing shows up on the monitor
(normally the fans don't spin at full speed when the computer turns on so I don't think it's a monitor or cable problem) any thoughts????

I know you have said that it is not a cable problem, but have you tried switching out the monitor cable? Also if you do, try using a different display cable, so if you are using a DVI-D to DVI-D cable, than try using a DVI-D to HDMI, or what ever you have. Because it honestly sounds like a cable issue, similar to what I had.

Feb 25, 2019
Just built a new PC and windows wouldn't install (when I booted from the USB I would get the windows logo for a few seconds and then it would turn off). I tried multiple times to install windows 10 without success. I then tried to install ubuntu and it worked first try. But having bought windows I would prefer to be using it so any help would be much appreciated.