New Build, considering upgrading to 2k monitors

JancariusSeiryujinn

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm doing initial research and part selection for a new build later this year. I was wanting to upgrade to 2k if I could do so at an affordable price.

Looking at monitors on pcpartpicker though, it seems like good quality 2k monitors are gonna easily eat about 600-700 a piece (and I feel like with dual screens, they need to be the same native resolution or it will drive me insane).

The current build uses a 6700k for the CPU and probably a 1070 or 1080 for the GPU, so I feel like not utilizing 2k or 4k resolutions is wasting potential, but a dual monitor setup of that tier is practically more than the rest of the build alone. Are there better picks for my buck that I'm missing?

Solution
I have 2 Acer H257HU displays@2560x1440 (2k). These are 25" 8 bit IPS panels at 60Hz. I paid about $400 cdn a piece for these. I do not play any fast paced games, mostly MMO's, driving sims and RPG's so I value good colour accuracy and higher pixel density over size (25" vs. 27"). I have these mated to a single GTX1080 via DP with one screen for gaming and the other for the browser etc. Pricing will depend on what features you want and need of course but depending on your use case you could bring the price down.
I have 2 Acer H257HU displays@2560x1440 (2k). These are 25" 8 bit IPS panels at 60Hz. I paid about $400 cdn a piece for these. I do not play any fast paced games, mostly MMO's, driving sims and RPG's so I value good colour accuracy and higher pixel density over size (25" vs. 27"). I have these mated to a single GTX1080 via DP with one screen for gaming and the other for the browser etc. Pricing will depend on what features you want and need of course but depending on your use case you could bring the price down.

Solution

JancariusSeiryujinn

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/1404464/whats-the-difference-between-wqhd-qhd-2k-4k-and-uhd-display-resolutions-1

No, I was referring to WQHD, which based in this article:
Sometimes QHD or WQHD is referred to as 2K, with the idea that it's half the 4K HD resolution found on high end TV sets (more about that later). But most of the time the 2K name cis derived from the larger of the pixel measurements being over 2,000 pixels. Technically, the resolution standard for 2K is 2,048×1,080, meaning QHD is actually much better in resolution. QHD could even be referred to as 2.5K, but some people resists in calling these displays 2K.
So that's the source of the confustion there.

DP?