Hello,

I recently built a system consisting of

Intel i7 920 processor
Radeon HD 5850
Asus Rampage II extreme
OCZ 2Gx3gb OCZ3P1600LV6GK
Corsair TX 850W
Samsung HD 500G|SAMSUNG HD502H

I also added a Scythe Mugen 2 aftermarket cpu cooler and fit it all nicely inside a HAF 932.

The problem i've been having since the build in early December is frequent BSOD's. I've tried troubleshooting them to figure the problem but i'm stumped.

So far i've tried Windows XP 32-bit, Windows Vista 64-bit, and Windows 7 64-bit, all with frequent yet random BSOD's. The most common was the 0x000000 Memory_Management. I have tested each stick individually overnight in each of the 3 slots (18 tests total) with Memtest 86+ at boot. I ran prime 95 overnight as well and got hardware errors but could not determine what the hardware error was. I'm almost positive the hardware is to fault but i cant figure which is causing the problem. I have a quite a few theories but i cant seem to narrow it down. I have noticed while running dual monitors (windows xp 32-bit installed atm) after a BSOD one of the monitors are fuzzy until reboot. Here are a list of the BSOD's ive recieved since installing windows XP.

Driver IRQ Not Less or Equal
Driver- JRAID.sys
Error Code- 0x000000D1

No title
No driver specified
Error Code- 0x00000024

And last but not least

Memory_Management
No Driver specified
0x0000001A

A lot of the BSOD's from my windows 7 installation were system drivers and of course, memory management. Maybe the ram is the problem b/c its not on Asus's qualified vendors list for this board?

I know all of this is a mouthful but i'm trying to provide all the information i've gathered. If someone could please help me i'd be greatly appreciative

Solution
i have an ocz 3x2gb, kit and i had similar problems, ocz i feel overstates the rated specs on it's kits. IT was also rated at 7-7-7-24 at 1600mhz, it passed memtest, but it would crash quite often, Another way to check to make sure it's your ram, is to see if prime 95 crashes on small ftts and large ftts, small uses nearly no ram, while large uses huge amounts, its usually a way to see if you'r main problem is your cpu or ram. I eventually had to settle on 7-8-7-24, and that took a number of hours, because i wanted the maximum rating i could get, but more than likely you'll have to loosen your ratings
OK. You said you ran Memtest86+ on each stick individually. Did you also run Memtest86+ overnight with all three sticks installed? Are you sure you're using the correct RAM slots? You'll have to double check the manual, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to use the blue slots on your motherboard.

What are your idle/load CPU temps?

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Yes, i did run all 3 together. Your correct too, first thing i did was check, it is the blue slots. Hmm.. i cant remember the temps but let me find them real quick for ya.

*edit* Idle is around 39 degrees Celcius/ Load is 51ish

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I'm wondering the memory bsod has anything to do with the graphics card memory :S? Its a stretch but worth a try. I guess it could be the hard drive but hard drives usually just fail and don't boot.

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
i have an ocz 3x2gb, kit and i had similar problems, ocz i feel overstates the rated specs on it's kits. IT was also rated at 7-7-7-24 at 1600mhz, it passed memtest, but it would crash quite often, Another way to check to make sure it's your ram, is to see if prime 95 crashes on small ftts and large ftts, small uses nearly no ram, while large uses huge amounts, its usually a way to see if you'r main problem is your cpu or ram. I eventually had to settle on 7-8-7-24, and that took a number of hours, because i wanted the maximum rating i could get, but more than likely you'll have to loosen your ratings

Solution

admilitaryman

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
I have 2 pc's and the wife is currently occupying the one with the problems, Jack, i think it is 1639.

Jonny, In the past I was almost 100% positive its was RAM but with lack of test results to back it up, it'll be hard to RMA. I'll try prime95 overnight for 2 nights, one on small ftts and one on large ftts.I'm really not good with memory timings, so could you explain how you came to land on 7-8-7-24 or points me in the direction of a good guide to help me? Thanks everyone for your help!

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
well pretty much, it just it was trial and error for me which isn't all that fun. But i just did blend ( said large ftt before wasn't at my desktop) to use as much ram as possible, and pretty much the setting would fail quite quickly at 7-7-7-24 so i went to like 8-8-8-27 i believe and tested that, and just keep working down the timings until, one of them caused a failure, then put it back at the previous value