[SOLVED] New build constant freeze before bios

May 9, 2020
Hello all. Last week I assembled a new build. The first day after assembly was fine. I installed the few games I play, updated all drivers, and played some games. The next day when I woke up I tried to start the pc. Rgb would come on and fans. It would run for a second then shut off for 10. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes it boots up no issues but as soon as I load WoW it will fail. Sometimes it’ll boot up no issues and I’ll play games for 12 hours. Sometimes it cannot get past bios without freezing. Sometimes it freezes on sign in screen. It’s so sporadic. But it freezes more than it works. I have tore this machine down at least 5 times and put it back together. Here are my parts

NZXT h510 case
Intel i5-9400 2.9 cpu
Msi tomahawk z390 mb
Invidia 2060 super 8gb
16GB ram ( 2x8) 3200 MHz ( Corsair) ( I also have 2 sticks of 8gb 3000 MHz. Issue still persist
Thermaltake toughguard 750w psu ( originally was a 550w but I thought maybe bad psu so I upgraded. Still same problem

I’m going bonkers trying to figure this out. Any help would be amazing.
thank you in advance!

Have you applied any overclocks on anything so far? If so, remove them. Also curious what BIOS version you're running. There are microcode updates in the changelogs for the last 3 BIOS updates on the Gigabyte website for your board which can help with issues like this: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-Z390-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

If that doesn't resolve it, since you're already swapped out the power supply, I would suggest maybe removing and reinstalling the CPU. While it's out, have a look in the CPU socket for any bent pins. Do be careful not to touch the pins when the CPU is out though. Trying to fix bent CPU socket pins is a major PITA, especially while cursing yourself for bending pins that were not already bent 🙂

May 9, 2020
Have you applied any overclocks on anything so far? If so, remove them. Also curious what BIOS version you're running. There are microcode updates in the changelogs for the last 3 BIOS updates on the Gigabyte website for your board which can help with issues like this: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MAG-Z390-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

If that doesn't resolve it, since you're already swapped out the power supply, I would suggest maybe removing and reinstalling the CPU. While it's out, have a look in the CPU socket for any bent pins. Do be careful not to touch the pins when the CPU is out though. Trying to fix bent CPU socket pins is a major PITA, especially while cursing yourself for bending pins that were not already bent 🙂

-Zero overclocking done
-Bios=7B18v17
-I have completely disassembled pc 7 times and rebuilt. No pins bent.

However I was curious if it was maybe a RAM issue. Purchased two new sticks of same ram and same issue occurred. (I know I did this backwards....should've tested DIMM slots before buying ram /facepalm lol.
I started testing DIMM slots with one ram and found that my pc wont boot (or rarely boots) if Ram is in DIMMA2. DIMMA2 and DIMMB2 are what the mother board says to slot first. What do I do now? I already ordered a new MB last week thinking it may be that.....but until it comes can my pc safely run on 1 ram slotted?

May 9, 2020
The pc is running fine now and not crashing (on just the one RAM)....however I randomly have black horizontal lines flicker across my screen. When the pc would run with both RAM I never saw this. Any idea?

May 9, 2020
The pc is running fine now and not crashing (on just the one RAM)....however I randomly have black horizontal lines flicker across my screen. When the pc would run with both RAM I never saw this. Any idea?

I swapped DP cords and its functioning properly now as far as no lines. Thus far all my questions are answered to the extent that they can be. I will get my new MB this week and update if that solved the issue with not being able to boot with both RAM. Thank you for the help thus far.