Question New build - Core i5-9600K temperature

BY66

Commendable
Sep 19, 2019
Hi folks,

Just completed a new build.
CPU = Intel Core i5-9600K
MOBO = Asus ROG Strix Z390-F
AIO = Corsair H100i PRO RGB ( Needs a bit understanding how it works before hooking cables up, cables can be run between the pump and the RAM modules but still visible if you look hard on them)
CASE = CoolerMaster MasterBix MB511 (Great case by the way, 3 front RGB stock fans work with an independent controller, a switch toggles between colors and modes) only $75

I have successfully setup the AIO, very glad.

First boot sent me to the BIOS page.

The temperature was 30 C and then it began to hover at 34 C after 20 minutes, is this idle temperature alright, I mean normal?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ultimately, idle temps don't tell much, they're only a slight indicator if something is obviously wrong. The max core temperature for the 9600k is 100 degrees C (throttle temp for a core).

Generally it sounds fine what it is currently running at, all I'm saying is ultimately, you don't really know if it's right until you induce load and see what max temps you reach. The idle temp is just more of an indicator. If it was sitting at 40 degrees, I'd still say it was fine, if it was sitting at 50, then maybe I'd be thinking that once you induce load, it will float far too high, and then is an issue.

So ultimately, as long as you keep it below 85 degrees in any circumstance (industry recommendation for intel CPUs) you're fine.

BY66

Commendable
Sep 19, 2019
Ultimately, idle temps don't tell much, they're only a slight indicator if something is obviously wrong. The max core temperature for the 9600k is 100 degrees C (throttle temp for a core).

Generally it sounds fine what it is currently running at, all I'm saying is ultimately, you don't really know if it's right until you induce load and see what max temps you reach. The idle temp is just more of an indicator. If it was sitting at 40 degrees, I'd still say it was fine, if it was sitting at 50, then maybe I'd be thinking that once you induce load, it will float far too high, and then is an issue.

So ultimately, as long as you keep it below 85 degrees in any circumstance (industry recommendation for intel CPUs) you're fine.
Thanks for the feedback because my last build which is a 3570K using the 1st gen H60 gave me 42C at idle. But as you said, even running Civilization 6, the 3570K+H60 combo gave me only 59C which is very good.

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the feedback because my last build which is a 3570K using the 1st gen H60 gave me 42C at idle. But as you said, even running Civilization 6, the 3570K+H60 combo gave me only 59C which is very good.
Yes I completely understand, also remember that ambient temperatures make a huge difference, for every degree your room temperature is above normal conditions, you'll be a degree hotter under load:
  • An idle 9600K in a room that is 15 degrees might be 30 degrees C.
  • An idle 9600K in a room that is 30 degrees might be 45 degrees C.
So if you're looking at ambient temperatures in a hotter time of the year, or in a generally hot room, this will also have an impact :)

Reactions: vMax

BY66

Commendable
Sep 19, 2019
Oh I see.
It was a bit warm in the bungalow where I put everything together, more space down there.
I guess it was around 25C nothing like below 22C.

I am going to bring it up of course, then I 'll relocate the thermoeter to my room here and try it out again. The temp was obtain with both side panel closed.

I am actually amzaed at the masterbox MB511 overall. And its rear fan which is a 3-pin fan, but its speed can change, Asus BIOS is miracle, don't know how it does to it but the speed can be adjusted!

Reactions: PC Tailor

TRENDING THREADS