Question [New Build] CPU Cooler SATA Cable concern

wolper

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Hi, I'm building a PC at the moment and I have everything good to go, except for my (LED) CPU Cooler. I am praying someone can help me out here, it's much appreciated.

When I turn the PC on, the fans spin fine, but there is no LED and I can't tell if the pump is working or not, either. I believe it is the SATA Cable I'm getting confused with. The manual says "Connect pump power cable to an available SATA power plug". I plugged a SATA cable into the PSU and plugged the cooler's plug into that same cable. My concern here: Isn't that SATA cable also somehow supposed to be plugged into the motherboard itself as well, or is the PSU alone sufficient? The SATA cables that came with my motherboard are a completely different size, and the SATA cable connecting my PSU and CPU cooler has no way of directly attaching to the motherboard (if that's even necessary).

Additionally, could this also control the LED, or is that a separate plug? The cooler came with a "corsair icue USB cable" which I plugged into the cooler directly, ran it behind the board, and plugged it into one of the USB spots on the motherboard at the bottom. Did I make an error there and is that what's causing the lack of LED lights?

Parts in question:
CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i RGB pro xt
Motherboard: MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
Power Supply: Gamemax 750w 80+ gold

Thank you so much to anyone who can help me, I'm sure it's a simple fix and I'm just not thinking straight, I'm worked up over all this and my mind is scrambled.

wolper

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Update: I believe the pump itself is working, I felt the tubes and it felt like there was activity going on, so it's just the LED that isn't working.

Could it just be that I need to install some sort of software before the LED even works? I can't find anything online to answer my own question. I tried plugging that "icue USB cable" into both of the compatible USB spots on the motherboard, neither activated any LED upon starting the PC.

ASK THE COMMUNITY