[SOLVED] New build - CPU cooling issue

Serenity09

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
Hi all, I'm doing my 2nd build and I'm having some CPU cooling issues that I haven't seen before. My setup is a NZXT x73 Kraken AIO (mounted at the top of the case, tubes down), AMD 5800x CPU, Gigabyte Vision B550 D (v1.0) motherboard

My pc will boot to bios just fine, and I can start a windows install, but it will consistently overheat after 5-10 minutes (before os install finishes)
When I watch cpu temps in bios I notice that temps will drop a few degrees over the first 10 seconds before starting to rise without stopping. The system will shut itself off after a certain point, but I've been killing it at around 80-90c
The radiator fans increase rpm as cpu heat rises, which seems good to me
The air blowing out of the radiator is always cool - its temperature doesn't seem to ever change
I don't know if i feel anything when i touch the center-piece thing, where I think the pump is

The first thing I tried was reseating the heat sink and removing & reapplying paste. I'm feeling pretty good about the current attempt at the paste, I bet it got good coverage. After reseating, temps are about the same

So I'm wondering if I have my pump wired properly or if its failed or something else idk. I tried wiring the pump and fans these ways but nothing changed (boots fine, radiator fans trying their best, then cpu temps start rising non stop)
Pump connected to CPU_FAN, radiator fans connected to CPU_OPT and vice versa
Pump connected to SYS_FAN5_PUMP, radiator fans connected to CPU_FAN
Pump connected to SYS_FAN5_PUMP, radiator fans connected to CPU_OPT

I'm also wondering if the pump just isn't be used because I can't get further then bios, maybe once it got to its software it would be fine via usb. I tried q-flash'ing my bios to the latest revision (f10 -> f12), but that was almost a disaster, so I'm hoping you guys will say easier things are more likely / worth trying

I really appreciate any help. Please let me know if you need any more info

Last edited:

Serenity09

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
pump breakaway cable is plugged into
  1. either CPU_FAN, CPU_OPT or SYS_FAN5_PUMP
  2. SATA power connection to PSU
  3. LED not connected
pump usb is connected to mobo usb 2.0 header (F_USB2)

is there something specific you think I should double check in the install booklet? I've read it very thoroughly and watched a few other install videos but maybe I'm just not seeing something...

Last edited:

Serenity09

Honorable
Dec 4, 2014
cool that's the first thing that's made any significant difference. I tried moving the cpu pump sata connection to be the first in the daisy chain coming off the psu. i lost power in 6 case fans, but the cpu pump is showing up in bios for the first time (doesnt seem to matter if its connect to CPU_OPT or SYS_FAN5_PUMP) and temps are holding steady at 32-34c for 25min in bios

i'm going to try adding a 2nd sata cable to the psu and keep just the cpu pump plugged into that, have case fans and other goodies off the other sata cable. are you supposed to generally keep cpu cooling power on its own psu line?

looks like everything is up and running with that. thanks for the help scout!