[SOLVED] New build: CPU LED flashes once, shuts down

Dec 23, 2018
Just built new PC, all new parts, nothing old or re-used. Mobo is an MSI B250 PC Mate w/debug LEDs. At first power up the power came on for a brief moment (1/2 second) then shut down. After unsuccessful troubleshooting I now have the mobo isolated on a non-conductive surface and the only thing connected to it are the PSU, CPU, 4-wire CPU fan and one 4GB DDR4 DRAM stick installed on the #2 position (as instructed in the mobo manual).

Still have same problem: power on, CPU LED flashes on, the PSU and CPU fans begin to spin, then the whole thing shuts down. I've tried another PSU with same results so I don't think it's the PSU. I've tried another CPU fan with same results. I've tried all combinations of memory slots. Nothing changes. The only thing I can't swap are the mobo and CPU.

Current troubleshooting setup:
Mobo sitting on a nonconductive table. PSU sitting on the table close to the mobo, with the 24 pin MB and 8 pin CPU connectors plugged into their respective mobo connectors. I have the 4-wire CPU fan plugged into CPU fan connector on the mobo. I have 1 memory module installed in the #2 slot.

mobo = MSI B250 PC Mate
CPU = Intel Core i5-9600K socket LGA1151
PSU = EVGA 650W

Any help appreciated!

Solution

Welcome to Tom's!
According to this:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B250-PC-MATE.html
that motherboard only supports 6th and 7th generation Intel processors. You have a 9th gen CPU. Even though the sockets are the same, the CPU simply will not work with that motherboard.

Solution
Dec 23, 2018
Thank you! See, I knew I posted to the right place.

(Note to self: Rule #1- Always verify compatibility of components when building from scratch.) I new mobo solves I'll update this thread.