Question New build crashes/reboots when playing Apex Legends ?

Feb 16, 2021
Hi All,

Hoped someone might be able to help me here as I've checked other threads and can't find an exactly similar problem or solution. I see some crash breadcrumbs, but am not knowledgeable enough to put them together.

When playing Apex Legends, my PC will shut down and reboot. It spends a little time with the BIOS wheel spinning and then comes back to log in.

Specs:
i9 - 10850k
MSI RTX 3080 Suprim X
Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi
EVGA 850 Watt Modular Gold
4x8gb G Skill Trident 3600 CL16
Samsung 970 Evo 2TB M.2
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD
Samsung 512GB M.2
Corsair iCUE H115i AIO Capellix Elite
Seagate 2TB Hardrive
LG 27" 4k 144hz

About the crashes:

The crash reboots often first happen about 10 minutes into game time. After the crash restart occurs and I reload back into an active game, I can sometimes get another 20 - 30 minutes in before another crash happens. Sometimes from there, it can crash reboot as soon as I open the game from the last crash. I find that the crashes can be random, but often the first crash occurs right as my team is approaching combat. It also can happen when I alt+tab. I've also noticed the game will relaunch in windowed mode after the crash (could this tell me anything?)

Now Apex Legends isn't the only game this has happened for. It occurred a single time when playing Valheim (once in over 50 hours of gameplay). It also occurred for only a couple times when playing Warzone, but Warzone started suffering from severe frame drop and stuttering right at the same time the crash reboot appeared. (unrelated - I was able to fix warzone through reg edit, disabling WindowsGame DVR and turning off windows game bar). Then again, I can run Cyberpunk in all Ultra in 4k, with RTX on, for an entire day without any problems and still get over 60 fps. So I am confident my components work.

Apex Legends is the only game on my PC that causes this crash reboot every time I play. While it has happened to other games as I mentioned, I can count those times on one hand over hundreds of hours of gameplay. So while the problem maybe isn't exactly Apex, Apex is the only game that reliably replicates this issue.

What I've troubleshooted so far that has made no difference:

• Uninstalled Apex and reinstalled
    • Uninstalled from drive and reinstalled onto Samsung EVO M.2
    • Uninstalled from Origin and reinstalled through Steam
    • Scanned and repaired
    • deleted all traces of the game from my PC and did that all again
  • Turned all Apex game settings to minimum
  • Updated GPU Drivers (have gone through multiple updates now without this changing)
  • Replaced Motherboard with new motherboard (has latest BIOS drivers as well)
  • Confirmed Bus Interface running at PCI x16 3.0 @ PCI x16 3.0
  • Confirmed XMP Profile is loaded and running at 3600Hz
  • Confirmed PC was not accidentally OCed
    • Ran the game with my GPU underclocked
  • Changed Sata Cables
  • Disabled Full Screen Optimization
  • Ran Game as admin
  • Disabled all other applications, overlays, etc. Everything that could close was closed.
  • Monitored CPU & GPU Temps (always do) - GPU sits around 69 C never goes above 75 C and CPU stays under 50 C
  • Disabled Multiple monitors
In closing, I've tried all of those fixes at the same time as well and in different combinations.

If anyone has any other tricks up their sleeve or needs any other info, I would really appreciate some help here. One of my best buddies is a steamer and I always joined him on his Apex streams, but now I can't play with him anymore because I crash. It is quite sad.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU, while 850W is the wattage. What is the model of the unit? Just for the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on? With every reinstall/update of GPU drivers, did you use DDU and then reinstall the drivers for GPU in an elevated command? i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Feb 16, 2021
Hey - thanks! Been an avid reader of Tom's Hardware for a long time, but have never actually created an account and posted.

PSU is EVGA 850 GA Supernova.

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 0232, 1/6/2021

And no, I did not use DDU with every reinstall/update, nor did I try elevating the installations of the drivers. I've just simply been clicking update using GeForce Experience. IS DDU just open source? Can I get it from anywhere or do you recommend a place to get it?

Feb 16, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

EVGA is the brand of the PSU, while 850W is the wattage. What is the model of the unit? Just for the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on? With every reinstall/update of GPU drivers, did you use DDU and then reinstall the drivers for GPU in an elevated command? i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?
So I downloaded and followed a quick guide on DDU. Ran the full uninstall in safe mode and no internet, reinstalled the latest driver as administrator. I launched Apex excitedly, and then my computer crash rebooted before my team even dropped out of the opening ship.

Feb 16, 2021
@Lutfij @Zerk2012 So... those fixes didn't work, but thanks for the suggestions. But so far, something really simple has fixed it. Fingers crossed that it doesn't come back because this doesn't feel real. What I did was going into my system settings and disable Windows automatic restart when there is a system failure. I also changed my power plan settings to reduce cpu min to 0% just in case. But right now... I am stable. Do either of you have any clue why this would fix the reboot? Could a fake system failure be triggering the reboot or something that actually isn't critical to my game running is failing?

Update: I was able to play 1 full hour straight. Then right when a game ended, zero warning pc shut off and reboot... that is by far the longest I've been able to go. Do you guys think this is PSU related having set my power option to recommended rather than ultra performance allowing me to play longer or something? I don't get how I can play a full hour then it randomly happens again.

I ran a full Memtest86 this morning and my RAM didn't spit out a single error bit. CPU was 37 c and GPU was at 72 c when the reboot happened. Unless my temps from NZXT Cam are lying to me, it wasn't a build up of heat. Also - the reboot was happening consistently in Phasmaphbia. I had never played before. So this definitely isn't just tied to Apex.

Last edited: