Question New Build Crashing

Zaku77

Honorable
May 21, 2014
There's a lot going on here, so I'll just try to explain it all as it's happened, and give as much info as I can. I am at a complete loss right now. I just finished (a few days ago) an upgrade to my PC. I've now got the Aorus Master Z390, an i9 9900k (not OC'd) 16gb of Patriot DDR4 (from my mobo's compatibility list), and a 1tb Samsung 970 evo. This is paired with the already present EVGA super nova PSU and Aorus 1080ti. Everything has been fine for the last few days. I've had a few gaming sessions, done some productivity, etc. There have been no problems.

Fast forward to today, and the following happened once I turned my PC on to play a game. I fired up Far Cry 5 and it crashed (the type where it just disappears). It did this a couple of more times. Eventually, its splash screen turned white (like windows do when they're not responding) but I couldn't actually close it. I tried in the task manager, and it told me that I don't have permission (which is quite odd). I was also unable to restart or shut down. Eventually, everything just locked up. I did a hard restart. When it came back on, the PC was... possessed? Things wouldn't open. The mouse was lagging and jumping all over the screen. Keyboard entries ranged from not working at all, working fine, touching it once producing 15 keystrokes, etc. I ran virus software just to be safe, and it found some benign nonsense. I restarted to have the same thing happen. On the next restart everything seemed fine.

Now I get ready to fire up my game, and I apply my gentle GPU OC. As soon as I do this, the display driver crashes twice. Then the game crashes. It is at this point that I now get a blue screen of death. Whilst all of this is going on, I am seeing the following Errors in the Windows Event Viewer:

1001 (I believe this is only in there once after the blue screen).
The blue screen said: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

I just... I have NO idea what to do. I don't know what could be going on, and it's doing my head in that it was FINE when I turned it off last night. All I've done so far is run a memory diagnostics test (mdsched) and that brought up no issues. How do I fix my new build, and what the hell is even wrong with it in the first place?

Mar 14, 2019
fb.com
This kind of scenario rarely happens due to hardware failure. Signs mostly point to software-side.

I'll start with a few questions:
  1. You mentioned you just finished upgrading. Did you do a fresh install of Windows?
  2. Have you been plugging in flash drives/external drives ever since upgrading? If so, have you used said drives on other PCs prior to yours?
  3. Has anybody else used your PC?
  4. Have you or anyone you share your PC with (if applicable) downloaded anything from questionable websites or even just visited them?

Hope you understand where I'm coming from—I can't just provide a solution to your problem without trying to understand it better. :)

Zaku77

Honorable
May 21, 2014
This kind of scenario rarely happens due to hardware failure. Signs mostly point to software-side.

I'll start with a few questions:
  1. You mentioned you just finished upgrading. Did you do a fresh install of Windows?
  2. Have you been plugging in flash drives/external drives ever since upgrading? If so, have you used said drives on other PCs prior to yours?
  3. Has anybody else used your PC?
  4. Have you or anyone you share your PC with (if applicable) downloaded anything from questionable websites or even just visited them?
Hope you understand where I'm coming from—I can't just provide a solution to your problem without trying to understand it better. :)

It was a fresh install on a brand new nvme SSD. The only other drive plugged in is my 3tb HDD, and that's been there since the first boot of the new system--when there weren't any problems. I live alone, and I've barely gone to any websites yet, let alone questionable ones. A new thing is now happening where the nvidia driver is crashing and hardlocking when I try to play FarCry 5. This is without OC. And I have already done a round of DDU and re-installing the newest driver. It's like the entire machine has gone TU overnight whilst being off. It makes no sense.