[SOLVED] New Build Debug - CPU Bad?

ViolentAnemia

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

So, I started building my first custom PC yesterday. Everything was going fine and dandy. I assembled all the parts with little to no problems, I made sure the all the cords were neatly organized, and I referenced a few online sources and my manuals to make sure that I didn't forget to plug anything in. I double checked, triple checked, check checked and checked again.

Then came time to finally boot up for the first time. I plugged in the PSU, flipped the switch, and there was life! Now we come to the problem, the big problem. Although the fans would spin up and the lights would come on, the monitor showed no received input. I tried switching to different connections, between the motherboard and GPU, but to no avail. I tried reseating the RAM, then the GPU, and then the CMOS battery... again nothing. It was at that point that I noticed the motherboard's CPU error light was on. After this, I removed the GPU and RAM, deciding to leave only the essentials, hoping the light wouldn't come on then. Sadly, it did.

Now was my final measure, I removed the motherboard from the case, eliminating the possibility that an excess mounting screw could be creating a short and checking said screws in the process. I left the motherboard by itself with the CPU still in and hooked the PSU back up. I turned the board on and still the problem persisted.

Here I am now, not too certain what to do next. I've checked the CPU, made sure its orientation was correct and that none of its pins were bent. Everything looked fine. Nothing was out of place. I have no idea what's gone wrong.

Solution
I found out the problem. It was two parts.

Firstly, although I had already tried removing the CMOS battery, I guess I didn't take it out long enough. 30 seconds isn't enough for my motherboard, I guess, but 60 seconds got it working out of the case.

Secondly, I had a problem getting it running in the case. At first I thought that the board might actually of been shorting on the case. After removing the board and thoroughly scanning for any sort of protrusions, I came to the realization that the problem must actually be with the front case connections. You see, that was the one difference between the motherboard's in-case and out-of-case states. I tried only connecting some of the wires in, and sure enough, without the reset switch...

ViolentAnemia

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
Great post BTW...Very detailed about your troubleshooting efforts! Try downloading and re-flashing the BIOS for the motherboard if it isin't at the latest build and see if that helps.

How would I go about doing that? Just download the BIOS update from the maker's site, put it on a flashdrive, and plug it into the motherboard directly? I've yet to work with just a motherboard before, so I've little idea what to do.

Cioby

Distinguished
How would I go about doing that? Just download the BIOS update from the maker's site, put it on a flashdrive, and plug it into the motherboard directly? I've yet to work with just a motherboard before, so I've little idea what to do.
basically yes, just need to find where the update option is for your motherboard. It could help if you google your exact motherboard with the words upgrading bios from flash drive.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkjjnrfB7I

Also your motherboard should not provide any Video output at all. The 2700x doesn't have integrated GPU. From what I know.
Therefore the issue lies on your GPU. Do you hear anything? any beeping? Any usage of hard drives? I assume it doesn't have Windows installed.

Did you plug the PCI-E connectors to your GPU?
Is your GPU properly inserted? Until the other side comes out the back or you hear a click? And basically without any screws the GPU seems to be fairly well mounted and won't really wiggle or drop? (Don't try this with it standing up in case you failed to push it in properly, you may break it, put it laying down on the bed or desk or something and wiggle it with your hand slowly)

Does the GPU light up? Do the fans spin on all your parts or case fans? Does the PC restart itself or is it just dark?
Did you check your monitor settings and see if you are using the proper connection type as default? For example some might be set to HDMI by default and you need to select DP.

ViolentAnemia

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
basically yes, just need to find where the update option is for your motherboard. It could help if you google your exact motherboard with the words upgrading bios from flash drive.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlkjjnrfB7I

Also your motherboard should not provide any Video output at all. The 2700x doesn't have integrated GPU. From what I know.
Therefore the issue lies on your GPU. Do you hear anything? any beeping? Any usage of hard drives? I assume it doesn't have Windows installed.

Did you plug the PCI-E connectors to your GPU?
Is your GPU properly inserted? Until the other side comes out the back or you hear a click? And basically without any screws the GPU seems to be fairly well mounted and won't really wiggle or drop? (Don't try this with it standing up in case you failed to push it in properly, you may break it, put it laying down on the bed or desk or something and wiggle it with your hand slowly)

Does the GPU light up? Do the fans spin on all your parts or case fans? Does the PC restart itself or is it just dark?
Did you check your monitor settings and see if you are using the proper connection type as default? For example some might be set to HDMI by default and you need to select DP.

I am aware that the CPU doesn't have an integrated GPU. The issue comes before even that though. As I've said, I've run the motherboard independently, with only the CPU and PSU to power it. The CPU error LED on the board still lights up then.

At first, I did try running everything together. All the fans (Case, CPU, and GPU) spun up and lit up fine. I've reseated the GPU multiple times and checked it connections. The PC does not restart, it just remains on. As for the monitor, I made sure it was on the correct input. Again though, I believe the problem begins before the GPU even becomes a factor.

As it is, I can't update the BIOS through the BIOS menu. Since my last post, I've been digging around on Google and haven't turned up a conventional way to update the Bios without having access to the BIOS menu.

Cioby

Distinguished
I am aware that the CPU doesn't have an integrated GPU. The issue comes before even that though. As I've said, I've run the motherboard independently, with only the CPU and PSU to power it. The CPU error LED on the board still lights up then.

At first, I did try running everything together. All the fans (Case, CPU, and GPU) spun up and lit up fine. I've reseated the GPU multiple times and checked it connections. The PC does not restart, it just remains on. As for the monitor, I made sure it was on the correct input. Again though, I believe the problem begins before the GPU even becomes a factor.

As it is, I can't update the BIOS through the BIOS menu. Since my last post, I've been digging around on Google and haven't turned up a conventional way to update the Bios without having access to the BIOS menu.
well what does your CPU error led show? Shouldn't it like post a specific code which you can look up and diagnose? Tho it's the Motherboard signaling you, not the CPU. So you should check the motherboard manual.

ViolentAnemia

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
well what does your CPU error led show? Shouldn't it like post a specific code which you can look up and diagnose? Tho it's the Motherboard signaling you, not the CPU. So you should check the motherboard manual.

There is no code. It's just a red LED in a spot the board marks as there being an error with the CPU.

ViolentAnemia

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
What is your GPU? And are you sure your CPU isn't heating up? Or that you didn't use the wrong cable to power up the CPU soket on your motherboard?

Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AMP! Edition Video Card

I'm running the CPU with a heat sink every time I test it, and I never keep it on long enough for it to even heat up too much. The power cable I'm using is clearly labeled as the "CPU" power cable.

ViolentAnemia

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
I found out the problem. It was two parts.

Firstly, although I had already tried removing the CMOS battery, I guess I didn't take it out long enough. 30 seconds isn't enough for my motherboard, I guess, but 60 seconds got it working out of the case.

Secondly, I had a problem getting it running in the case. At first I thought that the board might actually of been shorting on the case. After removing the board and thoroughly scanning for any sort of protrusions, I came to the realization that the problem must actually be with the front case connections. You see, that was the one difference between the motherboard's in-case and out-of-case states. I tried only connecting some of the wires in, and sure enough, without the reset switch plugged in, it all booted fine. Either the cord is bad, or something is mislabeled. Regardless, I have no need for a reset button, so I'm just not going to plug it in.

Big thanks to those that provided their input. Even if I figured out the problem myself, you all were a good double check method to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious.

Solution