[SOLVED] New build died after BIOS update ?

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Building new computer plugged everything up computer started fine everything looked good in the bios.
Downloaded new bios. computer booted up fine, back to bios was able to look around it. Got on the phone, came back
and the PC had shutdown. I hit the power button and everything lit up, fans turned and shut right back down. now that is all it will do ?

I unplugged power supply, plugged it back in, hit the switch and the cosmetic RGB light come on and i have not touched anything.
Hit the power button and same thing lights up fans turn and shuts right back down. I did try the power supply jumper test not
total sure if that is it but am getting another one to try. but was curious nothing should light up unless the power button is pressed??
any help appreciated.

Build:
Asus Tuf Gaming Z-690 Plus MB
Intel I5 126005-k processor
Asus LC 240 AIO Cooler
Asus RTX 3050 Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (3200) 32gb
Samsung M.2 ssd980 1tb
Samsung Sata 870 EVO drive
Corsair CX750F Power Supply

Solution
New build died after BIOS update ?

Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
New build died after BIOS update ?

Reason for BIOS update was?

Updating BIOS isn't something you can do on a whim. BIOS update, as such, is only viable when you know for a fact that newer BIOS fixes the specific issue you have with your PC. (E.g if i want to use Kaby Lake CPU with my Z170 chipset MoBo, i need to update my MoBo BIOS.) If there are no issues, there is no reason, what-so-ever, to update BIOS. Just because you "can" update BIOS doesn't mean that you "have to".

Most MoBos never get their BIOS updated and work fine until they are obsolete. Also, do note that when BIOS update would be interrupted for whatever reason (e.g power loss), your MoBo will be bricked since PC won't run when MoBo has corrupt BIOS. And only fix is MoBo replacement. If lucky, you can roll back the BIOS update, if your MoBo has that feature.

This here is what i call a life's tax.

Solution

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I will agree the update could have waited. But as i said it was fine after the reboot. I was looking at the updated Bios. I got on the phone
came back and the computer was off. then problems begin.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Either BIOS update bricked the MoBo, or PSU acted up and killed MoBo, since what you describe, is a dead MoBo.

What you can do, is pull GPU out and hook monitor to MoBo. If issue remains, GPU is safe (for the most part). If issue goes away, GPU is toast.

Moving forwards and after trying to run PC with iGPU and it still doesn't boot up, here's what i'd do:

1. Get 2nd, known to work PSU and try with it (e.g Seasonic Focus+ series, in 750W range).
Now, it is possible that your PSU works fine, but if given chance it's toast, buying any additional hardware, e.g new MoBo, and hooking it up to defective PSU, will kill the new hardware as well. So better not risk it.

2. If 1st step didn't help, replace MoBo.
With MoBo replacement, do breadboard it, before installing it to PC case. This makes all kind of troubleshooting easier.

At some point, you can also try running PC with single stick of RAM, in case it's RAM issue. If you have 2x or 4x sticks, try all of them individually.

All-in-all, if BIOS update bricked MoBo, all you need, is new MoBo. But if PSU blew your MoBo, every component that was connected to PSU could be dead. It's something to consider when troubleshooting it.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Just wanted to update been busy with work so just getting back.
The problem was with the power supply ( It was new out of the box). Got someone to test it was not sure when i tested it. So to be
on the safe side i got a bigger one. Did like you said and took everything out and checked as i added components back. just to make sure
there was not something else bad.
Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Aeacus