• AMD Ryzen 1600AF - New
  • EVGA RTX 2070 - Old but working
  • EVGA 650W Gold PSU - Old but working
  • WD Black 500GB M2 - New
  • Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 2x8GB - New
  • NZXT H510 Case - New
  • NZXT Kraken X53 240mm - New
  • Super Cheap Samsung Monitor just to get the computer up and going - New
Describe your problem. List any error messages and symptoms. Be descriptive.
New build, almost all new parts except for the GPU and PSU. When I go to start the PC, I won't get anything on the monitor except maybe once in every 10 tries or so. I'm using the displayport on the GPU. I was able to load Windows 10 on one of the times I was able to get the pc to show up on the monitor, but when it went to restart after install, the signal to the monitor disappeared. I'm at a complete loss.
One thing I've noticed is sometimes when it works, the fans seem to be quieter than when it's not transmitting a signal, and it (the whole pc) will sometimes turn off for about 3 or 4 seconds, then turn on again by itself, and then I'll get a signal to the display.

When I do get it to show on the display, it does not boot up Windows, it always goes to the boot menu. Also, I cannot get the computer to see the Wifi card I have installed either, it's not showing up at all but I do have it installed properly.

List anything you've done in attempt to diagnose or fix the problem.
I have double checked all connections, made sure the RAM is fully seated, tried the DisplayPort on the Mobo, checked the connection on the monitor, etc. I've tried hdmi on another monitor and same issue. I've unplugged everything from the PSU, reseated everything, etc. I can only get the signal to the monitor once every 10 startups or so, maybe even less.

Solution
Easier to take the BIOS file itself, stick it on a USB drive, boot into the BIOS and run the flash utility from there, when you get the screen working anyway. If the system is prone to random shut downs, do not take the BIOS update step, could result in a bricked system.

Not sure what to tell you here. Seems there is something pretty fundamental wrong, but I can't pinpoint what it might be. I really don't like that they don't list your exact CPU as supported, that could be a bad sign. Not sure if you have the cash to pick up a cheap athlon or something, that would let you troubleshoot without the 1600AF as a potential problem.

AMD still offers their loaner chips, not sure if it applies here:
  1. Go to the AMD online warranty claims...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Oddly, not seeing the 1600AF as on the supported CPU list, that is a little concerning.

Motherboard display outputs won't work with that CPU.

Super cheap monitor, surely it didn't come with a display port cable? Where did you get that? Could just be bad.

The shutting down part, not so much. That speaks to something maybe being wrong with the memory?
Check the QVL against your memory here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...G/Memory_QVL_For_Ryzen_1st_Gen_Processors.pdf

Double check the motherboard manual to make sure the PCIe slots, M.2 slots, and any SATA ports you are using don't conflict.

You may need to set the boot order to the proper drive, if it is always trying to boot something before the NVMe drive, that will keep happening.

If you continue to experience issues, see if you can get a display and check the BIOS version. Might be time to flash it.

forcefed4g63

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
What do you mean when you say it's not on the supported CPU list?

I already had a display port cable, the display is not the issue, I've confirmed that.

I will look into that link you sent, thank you.

I'll doublecheck the manual as well, I didn't know that was a thing, but I can't imagine they conflict, as I'm able to get it to work every few tries.

I have tried to set the boot order, but every time I start the computer, it goes to the motherboard "start-up" menu. I have not successfully gotten the computer to boot straight to Windows, not sure what the issue is.

I appreciate the response!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
To clarify, the motherboard video ports will not work with your CPU. Only Ryzens ending in "G" provide integrated video (i.e. Ryzen 5 3400G).

Eximo is referring to this compatible CPU list:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Easier to take the BIOS file itself, stick it on a USB drive, boot into the BIOS and run the flash utility from there, when you get the screen working anyway. If the system is prone to random shut downs, do not take the BIOS update step, could result in a bricked system.

Not sure what to tell you here. Seems there is something pretty fundamental wrong, but I can't pinpoint what it might be. I really don't like that they don't list your exact CPU as supported, that could be a bad sign. Not sure if you have the cash to pick up a cheap athlon or something, that would let you troubleshoot without the 1600AF as a potential problem.

AMD still offers their loaner chips, not sure if it applies here:
  1. Go to the AMD online warranty claims page: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form
  2. Fill in your full contact and product details (3rd Gen Ryzen Processor OPN number and serial number)
  3. In the Problem Description field enter "Boot kit Required" (without quotes)

Solution

forcefed4g63

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
I appreciate the response! It has done a couple random shutdowns. I do have a spare cpu but unfortunately it's not AM4. I will definitely see if I can get a loaner chip, that will definitely put my mind at ease if that's the problem.

One last question, and I know it may be a dumb one but I am a newbie. If it is indeed the CPU, can I just do a direct replacement of the CPU without changing anything else? As in Windows is still on my M2, the drivers on the motherboard, etc.