[SOLVED] New Build fail

Aug 24, 2019
Problems with new build. (how I used to smile when I read that :)

Background:Am now near geriatric ex PC engineer, started in days of DOS 2.0 and 8080 through to Win 7 and last of the Pentiums, then was forced to fix printers for last 10 years.
How my heart sank to hear the words 'Oh it's the printer man@ as printers are all created to be as perverse, awkward and messy as human ingenuity can devise!

Have now undertaken to update my equally aging Athlon 32 bit 3GB '25fps in Warthunder' flying PC into something to fly into the sunset with..

I have therefore bought the following,

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU - It dropped in like silk
Asus Prime X570-P - Wow what are all these new bits?
2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200 - Science fiction specifications, in just a decade?
AeroCool Integrator 700W PSU - Blimey, that is more powerfull than my microwave!
GTX 1660 Graphics. Specs here blew my mind and it is only mid-range?

But,
Rig is not powering up. Unable to hear any beep code have tried an old two pin speaker on both ground/speaker and ground/5v on new boards 4 pin speaker connector
but hear nothing on power up and the only sign of activity are the fans gently spinning.
Also tried old 350W psu with only 24 and 4 pin power leads with same result, voltages on both were within spec.
All connections gently remade several times.

Have tried running with just bare board and CPU then each stick of ram individually in each slot but no change to above start

Question My new 700W Aerocool Integrator PSU has the 24 and 8 pin connections but nothing to put in to the third 4 pin ATX power socket connection - do I need a special
PSU or should my machine run with only the 8+24 connections made?

Searches on the internet suggest that the 4 pin ATX socket is for extreme oclocking, so maybe it should be ok with just the main two plugged in.. ? Memory swaps made no diff' etc.

If I am unable to pin down the fault to either me or a specific bit of hardware, I may have to return the mobo, CPU and the PSU as I have run out of ideas as which to blame
and would feel ashamed to send all three.

Any help would be much appreciated and as soon as possible as I need to pin down any fault for I only have a short return period if there are any faulty items in my recent order.

A solution would earn my undying gratitude :) and an optional old cat.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!
Legit one of the best posts I've read in a while. Blimey!

Question My new 700W Aerocool Integrator PSU has the 24 and 8 pin connections but nothing to put in to the third 4 pin ATX power socket connection - do I need a special PSU
Presumably you're referring to the additional CPU power pins, most motherboards don't need them populated to run, but some do.

AeroCool Integrator 700W PSU
Can't comment for the 700W, but i know the 850W is pretty decent actually. Great build quality, just not great value usually.

I'd be tempted to remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU and socket at first.

Reactions: _Iceni_

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Welcome to the forums my friend!
Legit one of the best posts I've read in a while. Blimey!

Presumably you're referring to the additional CPU power pins, most motherboards don't need them populated to run, but some do.

Can't comment for the 700W, but i know the 850W is pretty decent actually. Great build quality, just not great value usually.

I'd be tempted to remove the CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU and socket at first.

Do you have a review you could link of the quality of the 850w , released by Andyson.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Do you have a review you could link of the quality of the 850w , released by Andyson.
Sorry, I got my sources mixed up, I was thinking of the Project models.

Sorry, recall, no the Integrator are the very poor ones, and I think that's represented by the fact that it doesn't come with the following ATX power for a 700W. And the fact that it's cheap as anything.

Got my models mixed up!

Cuss_ed

Prominent
Aug 10, 2019
great post. "It dropped in like silk" sounds like an old girlfriend.
AeroCool Integrator 700W PSU is a poor choice but should still work. BEEP codes are a dying reference a lot of mobo's no longer use. in 9years of use my mobo hasn't BEEPed once. and i've pushed, pulled, stretched and kicked (not literal).

AMD AM4 ATX motherboard with PCIe 4.0, 12 DrMOS power stages, DDR4 4400MHz, dual M.2, HDMI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Aura Sync RGB header
are you sure of your RAM ??

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Sounds like to me either a bent cpu pin or a bad cpu. Because you said the fans are spinning. From my experience a pin was bent on my cpu and no display or anything. just fans spinning. I tried to fix the pin and somehow with my luck i fixed it.

Aug 24, 2019
Sounds like to me either a bent cpu pin or a bad cpu. Because you said the fans are spinning. From my experience a pin was bent on my cpu and no display or anything. just fans spinning. I tried to fix the pin and somehow with my luck i fixed it.

Thanks Thomas, CPU pins checked out straight and true.
Well done on your pin fix, I bet your heart was pounding while doing it?

Aug 24, 2019
great post. "It dropped in like silk" sounds like an old girlfriend.
AeroCool Integrator 700W PSU is a poor choice but should still work. BEEP codes are a dying reference a lot of mobo's no longer use. in 9years of use my mobo hasn't BEEPed once. and i've pushed, pulled, stretched and kicked (not literal).

AMD AM4 ATX motherboard with PCIe 4.0, 12 DrMOS power stages, DDR4 4400MHz, dual M.2, HDMI, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and Aura Sync RGB header
are you sure of your RAM ??
Thank you for your reply and advice, will get a better PSU
Memory is brand new and sealed from Corsair but have no other way of testing it than in the new rig.

Aug 24, 2019
Ooops, my bad..

Many thanks for the link. (although my eyes itch after looking at all those titchy numbers :)

Supplied is - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2x8GB Ver 4.32
Approved is - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 2x8GB Ver 4.24

As far as I can tell the Ryzen 5 3600 is supported on the Asus Prime 570-P

My Graphics card is a Geforce GTX 1660 and several are listed as OK, but not my one which is a Palit Storm X (bah!)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Shouldn't really make much of a difference, ultimately the third party manufacturer only usually applies the cooling, factory OC etc. nothing to the point that it should make something incompatible.

The QVL more just means it hasn't been tested, not that it's not compatible. It could be something, but i doubt it. Same goes with the RAM modules.

As i said earlier, some boards do misbehave if they don't have the additional CPU power connected, so it may be worth a PSU upgrade or testing a good quality PSU that can fulfil it to see if it resolves the issue.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2019
Shouldn't really make much of a difference, ultimately the third party manufacturer only usually applies the cooling, factory OC etc. nothing to do the point that should make something incompatible.

The QVL more just means it hasn't been tested, not that it's not compatible. It could be something, but i doubt it. Same goes with the RAM modules.

As i said earlier, some boards do misbehave if they don't have the additional CPU power connected, so it may be worth a PSU upgrade or testing a good quality PSU that can fulfil it to see if it resolves the issue.

The help and advice I have been been given on my first foray into a Forum has been most helpful and reassuring. My thanks to all.
I have arranged to send back the original PSU and intend to buy a Gold unit, am just waiting for Asus tech to give me a definitive answer as to the need, or otherwise, of the additional CPU connector.
Will be back with update in due course.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have arranged to send back the original PSU and intend to buy a Gold unit
Just remember there are still certified units that's aren't that great like the EVGA NEX or Thermaltake Toughpower Gold. I'd specifically try and find a good quality unit that also provides the connections you need :)

Such as a higher level Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold or Corsair RMx for example/

Aug 24, 2019
Just remember there are still certified units that's aren't that great like the EVGA NEX or Thermaltake Toughpower Gold. I'd specifically try and find a good quality unit that also provides the connections you need :)

Such as a higher level Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold or Corsair RMx for example/

Thanks for advice, a Corsair PSU should be with me tomorrow, the PC case should have arrived yesterday but I was given a refund as it got squashed in transit (sigh) but the replacement might be here then as well.
Asus have been in touch and suggested the' battery out CMOS clear' cycle (I had forgotten that one, I had just shorted the pins, to no avail) and reminded me to ignore the on board HDMI socket as the Rysen 5's have no built in video but I knew that one.

I RreadTFM and can confirm that it should toot on boot, I just have to chop an old two pin one up to straddle the four pins on my 21st Century Ninja PC!*

Have house guests tomorrow 'till Saturday for unhappy event on Friday - So hope to retry assembly/test on Sunday, crossing fingers now as have been waiting a long time for this!
*(ok, make that a black belt 1st Dan)

Aug 24, 2019
Success! Asus finally pinpointed the problem as the Bios needed a complete refresh. Battery out, lead out, and power in on position and start all over again.
It worked! Now have bits-n-bobs in the case and wrestling with Win32 on a selection of Win64 hardware...
Am already 1/2 way there on a blindingly fast PC. Yeeha! Loving it.
Thanks to all that helped me through the misery of 'it's not working' it is very much appreciated. 10/10 to all.

Reactions: PC Tailor

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
Thanks Thomas, CPU pins checked out straight and true.
Well done on your pin fix, I bet your heart was pounding while doing it?
The original dual core phenom I bent the pin and the same thing happend Nothing but fans spinning. So I ordered a used quad core for $20 and it fixed it. Now I run rainbow on Max settings around 240 FPS thank lord for a Good gpu