Question New build fan orientation question

Apr 7, 2023
So I'm doing my first build right now and I have a question about how I should set up my fans for the best cooling and case pressure. I have a fractal design matx case that came set up with 2 120mm front fans for intake, and 1 120mm fan as rear exhaust. I purchased a 240mm aio so my question is should I have the aio as a top exhaust which would effectively give me 2 intake and 3 exhaust or should I switch the orientation around In anyways. I do have an option to flip the PSU to run as exhaust if needed. Being my first build I'm a bit lost as to what my best solution is

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Sounds like you're on the right path to me!

"So I'm doing my first build right now and I have a question about how I should set up my fans for the best cooling and case pressure. I have a fractal design matx case that came set up with 2 120mm front fans for intake, and 1 120mm fan as rear exhaust. I purchased a 240mm aio so my question is should I have the aio as a top exhaust"

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Personally I'd go with leaving your case fans as they are and installing the AIO rad at the top as exhaust fans. This does leave you with 3 exhaust vs. 2 intakes and a likely small negative pressure inside your case, which is NOT how I prefer. However, the exhaust air flow capacity of the two AIO fans on the rad at top is LESS than "normal" case fans because the rad itself reduces the air flow out from those two fans. So the two rad fans exhaust LESS air than the two front intake cans, and the extra rear exhaust fan compensates for that - probably slight over-compensates. Net result I EXPECT is slightly more exhaust capacity leading to slightly negative internal pressure. I'd be tempted to just ignore that. HOWEVER, IF you want to adjust that and do some air flow tests, you could specify a custom "fan speed curve" for the REAR exhaust fan only (assuming it is on its own SYS_FAN header) to have it run a bit slower than the default fan curve and reduce its air flow.

Reactions: Mlamb740
should I have the aio as a top exhaust which would effectively give me 2 intake and 3 exhaust or should I switch the orientation around In anyways.
This depends on AIO model.
If pump is located in the radiator, then it can't be installed in case top position (not recommended).

Please list model name of your pc case and AIO.
If possible, show a photo of your system with side panel removed.
(upload to imgur.com and post link_)

Reactions: Paperdoc