Question New Build - Fans rev up for simple tasks

Jan 18, 2020
Hi,

New first time build (for my son and I).

Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite Wifi mother board
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor
AMD Radeon Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT gpu
Fractal design Meshify C case

2 case fans, gpu fan, cpu fan, mother board fan

What's happening is the fans seem to be revving up for simple tasks. For example, if I browse Gigabyte's website and look up our mother board, scrolling down the long web page with the mother board's description, causes the fan to rev up significantly. If I stop scrolling, the fan stops.

This is our first gaming PC. My son and I aren't sure if this is just "the norm" for gaming PCs or something is wrong.

During our build, we swapped out our first mother board for a better one, and in the process we unseated the processor from the first board, and remove the cpu fan. When we re-attached to the new board, and the fan, we did not add thermal paste. We thought some thermal paste might have been lost during the remove/re-attachment process. Our CPU came out of the box with thermal paste already on, so we didn't add any the first time either. Not sure if this is related or not.

I think it's the GPU fan that's revving anyway, but I'm not sure.

Per the BIOS, temps seem to be normal (35-40) on the CPU and GPU. But I don't know what's happening to the temps when we boot into Windows 10 and the fans start revving when performing simple tasks.

Any suggestions or ways we can diagnose this?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's normal for it to revv up.

Every time you remove the cpu cooler though, you need to clean off the old thermal paste(alcohol and a soft cloth, voila) and apply new.
Not doing so creates air pockets between the cooler and the cpu's IHS, as well as hotspots on the IHS(since the paste was already spread out).
That will increase cpu temps, and may lead to thermal throttling scenarios.

Our CPU came out of the box with thermal paste already on, so we didn't add any the first time either. Not sure if this is related or not.
It's pre-applied, making the cooler a 'set it, and forget it' the first time around. From then on, you have to clean and reapply it yourself.

Per the BIOS, temps seem to be normal (35-40) on the CPU and GPU. But I don't know what's happening to the temps when we boot into Windows 10 and the fans start revving when performing simple tasks.
Also normal...
The stock cooler included with the 3600X is the type that's 'just adequate', if you know what I mean. The cpu fan noise is the main reason people end up buying aftermarket coolers for their Ryzen cpus anyway.
It does a good job keeping the cpu cool, but it may not be very quiet doing so.

The stock cooler fan has a max rpm of 3000-3500. What you can do is go into bios and cap the max rpm settings yourself for the cpu fan - use Ryzen Master to keep track of cpu temps.
If you're unable to find an acceptable combination of fan speed and cpu temp, then you'd have to buy a new cooler.

Reactions: scottydel

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's upwards of 50% load on boot, and no software controlling the fans, just bios settings, so revving at boot is normal. Once it loads fully, they settle down.

In bios, because of the loads seen, temps during normal operation are squewed, they'll be higher than at windows idle.

You only need 1 application of paste, so if the heatsink had pre-applied paste, no need to add more. As long as none got broken and was still fully covered, you should be fine after moving the cpu cooler.

You'll have to do a couple of things. I like core-temp or Ryzen master to monitor Ryzens during operations, you'll get to see 'real time' temps when doing stuff.

You should take off the side panel and verify which fans are working as they should, and which fan is ramping up during usage and what it's corresponding temp is, it's possible you are using PBO enabled, which can boost the cpu very high, and cause temporary spikes in temp. If they are high enough, the fans will ramp up.

Windows should be on Balanced power plan setting.

Power94

Reputable
Apr 23, 2016
Hi,

New first time build (for my son and I).

Gigabyte X570 Auros Elite Wifi mother board
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor
AMD Radeon Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT gpu
Fractal design Meshify C case

2 case fans, gpu fan, cpu fan, mother board fan

What's happening is the fans seem to be revving up for simple tasks. For example, if I browse Gigabyte's website and look up our mother board, scrolling down the long web page with the mother board's description, causes the fan to rev up significantly. If I stop scrolling, the fan stops.

This is our first gaming PC. My son and I aren't sure if this is just "the norm" for gaming PCs or something is wrong.

During our build, we swapped out our first mother board for a better one, and in the process we unseated the processor from the first board, and remove the cpu fan. When we re-attached to the new board, and the fan, we did not add thermal paste. We thought some thermal paste might have been lost during the remove/re-attachment process. Our CPU came out of the box with thermal paste already on, so we didn't add any the first time either. Not sure if this is related or not.

I think it's the GPU fan that's revving anyway, but I'm not sure.

After that make sure your CPU fan is on MBO CPU fan place. Other case fans you can connect to dedicated case fan place on your MBO. If all is done correctly you should not have any problems with it.

Any suggestions or ways we can diagnose this?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
First of all about thermal paste i do not like at all. I suggest clean old paste and apply new paste.

Jan 18, 2020
Thanks hugely for responses. Lots of great suggestions to help us get to the bottom of this. I think we will start with a new coat of thermal paste, and go from there.

I noticed last night, even if I start typing in a web form, I can hear a fan rev up when I start typing. Just from typing!? So I'm beginning to think this is the CPU fan, and not the GPU fan. We will take off the side case and confirm.

Any other thoughts are much appreciated.

We used Tom's forum to help us shop and install, so I knew this was a great place to post a question :giggle:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Anything the cpu does is work, it's a load of some sort or degree. More work means temps go up, fans get faster accordingly.

At the low end, a fan curve is very slight, so minor loads don't change rpms much, not even noticeably most times, but towards the top the fan curve is quite steep, so minor changes to loads can double fan speeds. Which can be quite noticable.

Fans will also slow way down at idle, so when doing anything, even moving a mouse or typing, you might be doing nothing more than bringing the cpu upto normal operating range, which results in work, so fans get faster.

Play around with your fan curves, check power settings in windows, these are things you can do to tailor your pc you your wants/needs. It's not always an indication of something wrong, just a pc doing what it wants to do instead of what you want it to do.

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
You can use the free program HWinfo64 to monitor your. CPU, GPU temperatures and fan speed etc.
As per the previous replies - it is normal for the fan to spin up on the CPU even browsing in Windows on these Ryzen chips.

You can set Windows Power mode to Power Saver which will limit the CPU speed to around 2200 MHZ whilst browsing and consequently reduce the fan speed.
Set it back to Balanced for gaming though otherwise it will restrict performance.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS