[SOLVED] New build - fans running, but no display signal from GPU or MB

truprecht

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I just put together a new build - when switched on, the fans all run, but I can't get any signal to the monitor. I initially tried with the GPU, got no signal, so I removed the GPU and plugged the monitor into the MB panel, and still no display. I tried both display port and HDMI. I tried re-seating the memory, and tried each 8gb module independently. I disconnected the hard drives as well. I've checked all connections. Always the same result. I'm not getting as far as the MB splash screen and can't access BIOS.

There are no LEDs on the MB that indicate it's alive. However, the cpu fan and 2 case fans are running, and the case on/off switch works. The MB didn't come with a speaker, and has a narrow 2-pin speaker connector that doesn't fit any of the regular 4-pin MB speakers, so I'm not getting any beeps to tell me if it's succeeding/failing to boot.

MB: Gigabyte Z690i Aorus Ultra Lite DDR5
CPU: i5 12600
RAM: Patriot Viper Venom DDR5 5600 2x8GB
PSU: SeaSonic SS-460FL

One remote possibility is the 8-pin 12v CPU power plug is folded over tightly and squeezed between the case and MB. Would all the fans be running if the 12v cpu power wasn't connected properly?

Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss at this point.

Solution
For all those on the edge of their seats, waiting to find out what happened: I ordered a new motherboard (Asus ROG Strix B660-i) and after removing the CPU from the old board there appeared to be a few bent/crushed pins underneath. I have to assume it came that way, since I just set the CPU in and clamped it shut without incident. I installed the new MB, re-installed all the same components (CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD) and it booted fine first try.

The Asus MB has 4 diagnostic LEDs and a standard 4-pin MB speaker connection, so if there had been problems, it would have provided a lot more information to help diagnose.

truprecht

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I replaced the PSU and and corresponding MB cables with another one that I know was working in another computer this morning. (SeaSonic X750) and get the same result. I also tried resetting the CMOS via the CMOS reset jumper. No difference.

Seems like the MB is the most likely culprit. Anyone know a way to confirm this, or can any suggest something else to try before returning the MB?

Last edited:

truprecht

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
For all those on the edge of their seats, waiting to find out what happened: I ordered a new motherboard (Asus ROG Strix B660-i) and after removing the CPU from the old board there appeared to be a few bent/crushed pins underneath. I have to assume it came that way, since I just set the CPU in and clamped it shut without incident. I installed the new MB, re-installed all the same components (CPU, RAM, GPU, SSD) and it booted fine first try.

The Asus MB has 4 diagnostic LEDs and a standard 4-pin MB speaker connection, so if there had been problems, it would have provided a lot more information to help diagnose.

Solution