[SOLVED] New Build, Fans spinning, no video, no post

Kristiyan_1

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
Hello,

I had my old Build lying around and wanted to build it and gift to my father. My Mobo,CPU,GPU and Ram were still together and working before that. so i bought a new PSU and Case put everything together but i got my fans spinning, even those on the GPU, but no Video or Post beep.

The build is:
Intel i3 4160
XFX AMD R9 280x
2x4GB DDR3 RAM
Bequiet 500W PSU Bronze
GA-H97-HD3

I checked everything, again, did a CMOS restart, Battery removal.

Is it possible that the PSU is not enough? I was using an Corsair 550W Gold before that without any probs.

Thanks!

Solution
I presume you have connected a power supply line from the PSU to the graphics board. You MAY have to tell the mobo that you want to use that graphics card and NOT the mobo built-in video chip. See your mobo manual p. 27, "Initial Display Output". Plug your video cable into the mobo's HDMI output on the rear panel so your monitor does give you a display. Go into BIOS Setup to this screen (p. 27). Set the option to the PCIe slot (1 or 2) that your video card is (or will be) installed in. Use Esc to back out to the Main Screen (p. 18) , then F10 to get to the Exit Screen (p.31). Choose Save and Exit, and when it starts to reboot just shut down. Open the case and install the video card in the chosen PCIe slot, connect power cable, and...
D

Deleted member 2871437

Some would say yes it's possible 500 w isn't enough, guess you should do a calculation yourself (haven't done that myself, and I guess it's possible your system doesn't require as much as the 'average' system referred to below):
This is Guru3D's generic power supply recommendation for the R7 and R9 series:
... AMD R9 280X - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit. (https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asus-radeon-r9-280x-top-review,8.html)

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 24, 2021
Always get a bigger psu than needed, Most psu operates at 85% efficiency, bronze is the basic tier so probably only 80% for yours.
And removing gpu would work clearly means so,ethimg wrong with gpu, in your case it’s not properly powered.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I presume you have connected a power supply line from the PSU to the graphics board. You MAY have to tell the mobo that you want to use that graphics card and NOT the mobo built-in video chip. See your mobo manual p. 27, "Initial Display Output". Plug your video cable into the mobo's HDMI output on the rear panel so your monitor does give you a display. Go into BIOS Setup to this screen (p. 27). Set the option to the PCIe slot (1 or 2) that your video card is (or will be) installed in. Use Esc to back out to the Main Screen (p. 18) , then F10 to get to the Exit Screen (p.31). Choose Save and Exit, and when it starts to reboot just shut down. Open the case and install the video card in the chosen PCIe slot, connect power cable, and close up. Move the monitor cable to the HDMI output of the video card, then turn on. It should boot and show you a display on the monitor. Go into Windows' Device Manger and check that the video card HAS the correct driver(s) installed.

When you do this, it is possible that the process of installing the video card driver ALSO will make a change to how SOUND is output. Virtually all such video cards also contain a sound output chip so they can send audio out on the HDMI cable. Often the process to install the driver for the video card also installs the driver for the sound chip on that card, and then ALSO tells Windows to change to using that means of audio output, and NOT the audio jacks on the mobo rear panel. IF that is what you want anyway, no problem, but IF you need to change that, post back here for advice if needed.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The reason for my earlier post is that some older mobos did NOT automatically detect the presence of a video card added to a PCIe slot. You have to make that configuration setting in BIOS Setup to use a card with that type of mobo. The manual for your mobo, OP, does not specify whether or not it can detect and use an added card without that adjustment.

Kristiyan_1

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
Im not sure if the card will be detected in BIOS if is not proper powersupplied. But as i said, those same Parts were on my older PC and working fine (there i had 550W Gold) , i just bought a new PSU this 500W Bronze. So i think it could be that, since the GPU was working fine 1 year ago and it was sitting in the box only.
I will keep an Update when the new one arrives.

Kristiyan_1

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
Update, still no solution.
I Got the 550W Gold PSU, connected it but still no Video.
I enabled the PCI16 Slot as main, tried the Card on the second slot. And still black screen.

When the Card is plugged and i put the HDMI on the MoBo i dont get visual, I have to remove the card and then i can enter the BIOS.

I used the Card on my old Rig, with the same Mobo, Same Wattage. everything was working...
Do you guys have other Ideas i can try?

Edit: Is this also the properway to connect my GPU ? I uset the Large Cable with 8 Pins + 6 Pins (and 2p are laying on the side) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JgQFyh0H53-w79cXRrIb5dw9KqBmWwdq/view?usp=sharing

Update: I tried the GPU on my main PC, it didnt work. Tried my new GPU on this Build and it worked.
So i assume it's dead.... :( I cannot understand how can it die just sitting in the box.. it worked before that

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2871437

Update, still no solution.
I Got the 550W Gold PSU, connected it but still no Video.
I enabled the PCI16 Slot as main, tried the Card on the second slot. And still black screen.

When the Card is plugged and i put the HDMI on the MoBo i dont get visual, I have to remove the card and then i can enter the BIOS.

I used the Card on my old Rig, with the same Mobo, Same Wattage. everything was working...
Do you guys have other Ideas i can try?

Edit: Is this also the properway to connect my GPU ? I uset the Large Cable with 8 Pins + 6 Pins (and 2p are laying on the side) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JgQFyh0H53-w79cXRrIb5dw9KqBmWwdq/view?usp=sharing

Update: I tried the GPU on my main PC, it didnt work. Tried my new GPU on this Build and it worked.
So i assume it's dead.... :( I cannot understand how can it die just sitting in the box.. it worked before that
Hi Kristiyan, use two separate PCIE power cables - don't use a pig-tail cable (single PCIE cable connected to PSU supplying two * 6+2 GPU ends).

Kristiyan_1

Reputable
Aug 30, 2016
Ye i used the Adaptor 2 Molex into 6 Pin and tried it thatway, no effect... Should i buy another cable 6pin to 6pin?
My new GPU is 2060 Gigabyte

As i saw the prices nowdays OMG :((( I think i will try to repair it somehow..

D

Deleted member 2871437

Firstly, when you swapped the PSU, did you change all of the cables to cables that came with the new PSU? That's important

Ye i used the Adaptor 2 Molex into 6 Pin
^I think this is not a good idea.

Should i buy another cable 6pin to 6pin?
Did your new PSU not come with two 8 pin to 8 pin pcie cables? Does it have two *8 pin PCIE slots?

My new GPU is 2060 Gigabyte

Please be careful how you connect your GPU to the PSU, you can fry it if you make a mistake.