[SOLVED] New Build Feedback

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I'd appreciate some feedback on the new build! I will be using this to edit Blackmagic 6K raw footage along with some compositing and vfx work but of course I still love gamming every now and again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrRipfrog/saved/#view=LMNcHx

I'd like to maximize the build for performance and I'm not sure if this is overkill and just a waste of money.

Any input would be much welcomed!
Thank you!
Eric

Current rig:
asus rampage v extreme
i7 6900k
corsair h110i
evga ftw gtx 1080
gskill 64gb ddr4-2800 ripjaws v
512gb samsung 950 pro m.2
256gb samsung 850 evo x 2 raid-0
4 tb wd black x2 raid-0
evga 1050w supernova 80 + gold
corsair 750d airflow

Solution
Not a fan of Samsung SSDs, they are too expensive for what they're worth to be honest. Take a look at ADATA SX8200 Pro, it can go as low as half the price of those Samsungs.

For TRX40 motherboards I'd much prefer cheaper ones. Even cheaper boards already have a strong VRM configuration, so I'd rather not waste too much money on that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zR3H99/adata-sx8200-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8200pnp-1tt-c
Not a fan of Samsung SSDs, they are too expensive for what they're worth to be honest. Take a look at ADATA SX8200 Pro, it can go as low as half the price of those Samsungs.

For TRX40 motherboards I'd much prefer cheaper ones. Even cheaper boards already have a strong VRM configuration, so I'd rather not waste too much money on that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zR3H99/adata-sx8200-1-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-asx8200pnp-1tt-c

Solution

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Thank you for the info and this is definitely the kind of information I am looking for!

Those Adata's do seem like a great deal with really great reviews but do you think I would notice a difference in the speed with the type of work I'll be doing, 6K raw editing with Compositing and small amounts of VFX, Houdidi?

Not trying to undermine any suggestions as I really don't know how the speed ratings affect real world workflow.

I know they are more expensive but do you have any experience with WD SN850's? They are rated pretty pretty fast.

As for the motherboard, that's also what I was thinking. Do you have any experience with the Gigabyte Aorus Master trx40 compared to the Asus Creator?

Thanks again for the time and input!

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Thanks for that Nemesia! I understand some people have different opinions about different company's... I appreciate that article. In the end, I am definitely seeking performance and I was of the opinion similar to yours which is why I chose the 980's.

You could get 2 970 EVO or EVO PLUS 1TB instead. Not like PCie 4.0 vs 3.0 is even noticeable unless you transfer files from and to the same PCIe 4.0 or another PCIe 4.0.

And you would save 200 dollars.

D

Deleted member 2838871

There is a reason why people go for Samsung SSD. They are good, reliable and fast.

Yep. I put 3 of the 2TB 970 Evo Plus m.2 nvme drives ($250 each black friday sale) in my new build for this exact reason. I'm not a fan of Samsung TVs (I have an LG OLED) but Samsung SSDs are amazing.

Thanks for that Nemesia! I understand some people have different opinions about different company's... I appreciate that article. In the end, I am definitely seeking performance and I was of the opinion similar to yours which is why I chose the 980's.
You could get 2 970 EVO or EVO PLUS 1TB instead. Not like PCie 4.0 vs 3.0 is even noticeable unless you transfer files from and to the same PCIe 4.0 or another PCIe 4.0.

And you would save 200 dollars.

This is also true. If PCie 4 was worth it I'd have used them... but it's not. You'll get far more bang for your buck going with PCie 3.

MrRipfrog

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Yep. I put 3 of the 2TB 970 Evo Plus m.2 nvme drives ($250 each black friday sale) in my new build for this exact reason. I'm not a fan of Samsung TVs (I have an LG OLED) but Samsung SSDs are amazing.

This is also true. If PCie 4 was worth it I'd have used them... but it's not. You'll get far more bang for your buck going with PCie 3.

Awesome, thanks for the info Travis! I can't get mad at saving a little money!