New build finished but a couple of issues. Please can you help me?

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Hello,

My new build is:-

Case - Cooler Master HAF 922 (It's my old case)
CPU - i7 4790K (@ Stock for now)
RAM - G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400 Dual channel. 2x8GB. (PC19200) CL 10-12-12-31 (1.65v)
Motherboard - ASRock z97 Extreme6
Graphics Card:- Sapphire R9 290 (Tri-x)
CPU FAN:- phanteks ph-tc14pe
Primary SSD:- Samsung 850 EVO

Ok,

I used CPU-Z to look at the RAM, and it says JEDEC #5 and #6 are 666mhz and then further along it says XMP-2400 (twice) are showing 1200MHz.
It has the same numbers for the 2nd stick as well. (They are in 2nd and 4th slots).
Does that look correct to you?
Do you need any more of the info?

Secondly.

I was force to install Windows 8.1 from my USB on the the Samsung 500GB 850 EVO instead of the M.2 Ultra.
I can't see the M.2 drive in the BIOS and it was not an option for the windows install. It is a samsung xp941 256GB stick that should be using 4xPCIe lanes. I followed the instructions and it went in easily and is secured with a screw. Once the PC was built I booted it up and had a look through the BIOS and could not see the drive. I tried a couple of things (which I can't remember now sorry) but made no difference. I decided to install the OS on the SSD so I can get back onto Tomshardware and ask where I went wrong.

____

Now just a just a quick bit of advice for anyone building a similar rig, the CPU cooler covers all 4 RAM slots on the motherboard. I had to take the top of the heatsinks off the RAM (was easy, just a tiny screw to take out of each end) and the RAM sticks still have a metal heat sink round them, just not the tall bit on the top. I then had to mount the Phantek fan that hung over them a little higher to create a couple of mm's of clearance. Was quick and easy.

It's a great fan, I ran Prime95 only for about 18mins and all I can hear is faint soft air. In fact I'm not sure if I'm hearing the case fan or the GPU fans or the CPU fans, it's a very quiet build. It's just overall really quiet. After about 18mins of the CPU cores on 100% the temp never got over 75c mark. And thats with the room temp at 23C.

Make sure you read

Jak_Sparra

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006

Ok thanks.

Now if only I can get the M.2 drive to show up.