New Build/ First Time Installing/ Setup/ Suggestions

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Hey guys, well just installed the CPU & stock HSF (i'm assuming there's paste that is either on the bottom of the HSF pads or top of CPU?didn't want to touch with fingers-is there any?), but now i've encountered a problem. The Forton FSP 450W is a 20-pin, and the eVGA-133 mobo is 24-pin?!?! What do i do?! Please help! -later

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Nevermind, i fixed it, gotta leave 4 slots, then plugin the 4-pin ATX12V connector to the 4-pin slot on mobo...lol. Well, now i'm stuck because the SATA HDD didnt come with a manual:

1.) I'm having trouble with powering everything. So, for the SATA HD, can i use one end of the Y-adapter from PSU, and use the other end to power the front fan? (there's a Y-adapter on the fan as well?) SO MANY Y-adapters, do i have to plug em' all in?

2.) how would you recommend powering everything with my setup from the y-adapters everywhere (from PSU,and others)

3.) does the CPU have stock paste on it? (i didn't want to touch with fingers to check, i just assumed and followed installation instructions.

4.) i have 3 HDD's: 60GB ATA, 250GB SATA, and a 74GB SATA on the way. The 250 and 74 are new, but the 60GB has the OS, mp3s and all my files on this (old) computer. How would i make it so that i can transfer the mp3's from the 60GB to the 250GB? i want the 60GB to have the OS, 250GB for files, 74GB for games... Can i hook up the ATA and leave all the stuff on it and will my new computer detect everything? How would i go about transfering?

thanks in advance, lemme know ASAP if you can please. -take care

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
ok, so the PSU comes with:
- 1x 20+4-Pin connector
- 3x Y-cable (1 red, 1orange,4black,2yellow)
- 1x 6-Pin (3yellow,3black)
- 1x 4-pin (2yellow/black, 2black)
- 1x SATA power [doesn't fit my SATA HD, diff style](1yellow, 2black, 1red, 1orange)

from the Mobo package:
- 1x molex Y-cable
(do i just plug this into an open y slot from PSU then use the 2x4-pin from this to power 2 things?)

1.) Will these power my components? Can i use 1 Y-connector to power 2 different things?

2.) my fan has 2 4-pin's on it, that mean one plugs into an open 4-pin and i can use the other to pluginto my SATA HD to power it?

3.) Do you need floppy for SATA (non-RAID, non-OS [OS will be on 60GB ATA133])?

4.) How would i install both 60GB and 120GB and let my 250GB be for files/mp3's, while my 60GB be for my OS? (60GB already has OS and everything, can i just delete everything but the OS and mp3's and go from there?)

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
3 of the Y-shaped (so 6?) plus i can plugin another Y-molex connector that came with the mobo...

I did set everything up:
A.) Rear fan (female) plugs into mobo (male) with a male left open (back of female)

B.) PSU Y-molex one female plugs into front fan (male) with a female slot left over [male and female on the fan]; the other female (from PSU) plugs into back of HD and the HD also plugs into the mobo via SATA cable into the SATA1 slot on mobo

C.) PSU Y-molex plugs both slots into the 7800GT (7800GT has two male connectors for additional power, i'm assuming i need both plugged in, or just one?)

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
so my setup is fine? i just have to make sure there's 1 for every connector rather than using the same 2 molex's? or does that just apply to the videocard?

here's what needs to be powered:

-WD250GB- 4-pin/SATA/?
rear side= http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/3426/pcdv00121nm.jpg there's a slot in between SATA and molex, that need to be plugged in?

-Videocard= 2 molex to 6-pin [6-pin goes into videocard]
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/1039/pcdv00052vr.jpg

-Front fan= 2 molex (male left and female right)
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/668/pcdv00047np.jpg

-Rear fan= 1 molex but two sides (one side is male,other is female)
male side 1= http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/5798/pcdv00061io.jpg
female side2= http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6272/pcdv00078uy.jpg

will i be able to boot this thing and power it all up/ how would i do it?

P.S.

PSU:
- 1 of these: http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/4917/pcdv00087ul.jpg
- 1 of these:
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3751/pcdv00099qx.gif
-2 of these: http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8645/pcdv00100gq.gif
-1 of these: (they are both the same size/type):
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/1076/pcdv00111il.gif

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
3.) does the CPU have stock paste on it? (i didn't want to touch with fingers to check, i just assumed and followed installation instructions.

The retail boxes for the processors will come with everything -but- the thermal paste. I'd get some Arctic Silver 5 or that new copper stuff...

about $9-11/tube

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
damn, so does that mean i gotta take off the CPU and apply it or will it work just fine?

also, the front fan has a male and female molex, does that mean i have to plugin both? (i'm running out of males...)

where do i plugin rear fan? there's a female slot on the mobo, but i dont know if thats where i put it, do i plugin to mobo slot or PSU? (btw, there's 2 sides, do i need to plugin both male and female slots?)

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
i heard that it already contains stock sticky stuff... i didn't apply nothing, just did what the manual said (line up pins, lock down, HSF in place,lock that down on top... it comes with the pad:
http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t63841.html

i'm not OC'in or anything, so this is alright right?

from previous post:

also, the front fan has a male and female molex, does that mean i have to plugin both? (i'm running out of males...)

where do i plugin rear fan? there's a female slot on the mobo, but i dont know if thats where i put it, do i plugin to mobo slot or PSU? (btw, there's 2 sides, do i need to plugin both male and female slots?)

on the back of the SATA drive, there's SATA, 6-pin, and molex, do all need to be used?

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
ok, so it came with some thermal pad... I don't know how well it transfers heat and mine didn't come with anything on it. From what I heard, AS5 does an awesome job once it set. If your not gonna' run the processor hard, you're probobly fine...

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
I see, one of those tiny sections of molex wiring from a fan.

You could either plug the male from PSU into the female end of the fan, then the remaining male from the fan can keep going plugging into another device or fan.

or

Chop the the male-female section from the fan off and bare wire it. Tidier that way.

Hmm... don't got any males from PSU, only female molex's, dunno how i'm going to do this setup... i still got another HD (ATA133) and an SATA drive to power here once i get it...thanks for the help! hopefully there's some way to wire it all up...

ok, so it came with some thermal pad... I don't know how well it transfers heat and mine didn't come with anything on it. From what I heard, AS5 does an awesome job once it set. If your not gonna' run the processor hard, you're probobly fine...

Mine came with this pad thingy on the bottom of the HSF, hopefully everything will run great... 1st gotta figure out the powering issues...thanks for input!

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
anyone know how to power all this up with my setup and where to plugin all these molex's. there's 1 molex on the mobo (don't know what its for, not listed in manual), then theres the one's coming from the PSU, which,how,where, anyone know how to set this thing up?

Also, the HDD setup, i want to use the 250GB as my files/mp3's, 60GB as OS drive, and i will be getting the 74GB soon (for games). Currently the 250GB is new, no data or anything; the 60GB is what i'm using on this computer (old comp), its got OS, mp3's, games,files,etc. Is there a way i can install these two drives into new computer, with all the data on the 60GB, and transfer the music from the 60GB to the 250GB? how would i do this?

Please help, hope to hear from you soon -peace

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
1.) ok, so it says in manual to plugin a 4-pin molex connector to the back of the SATA, but i got a SATA cable that plugs into mobo????

2.) will i need floppy for SATA backup (non-OS)?

3.) installing fans says only one 4-pin molex needs to be plugged into PSU molex, that true? Why two molex's on fans? (there's a 4-pin molex on mobo near the rear fan, whats that for?)

4.) Is only the 7800GT the only thing that requires BOTH molex's to be plugged in? (i have a couple pieces of hardware that have 2 molex connectors for 1 piece...)

5.) Can i plug this ATA133 HD to my mobo without reformatting and have everything work just fine? (i wan't to use this as my OS HD, and transfer the mp3's from it to the 250GB SATA)

lemme know ASAP please, thanks in advance.

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
it's cool. got another question:

- can i unplug the HD from this comp (ATA133) with all the data/OS/etc and plugin to new mobo with everything still on it? if there's any problems, can i always put it back in the old comp without any detecting problems?

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
if you can wait until tommorow i may be able to post some pics of my rig. that will give you a pretty good idea about what to do.

but before i can do that i need a complete list of all your drives and a link to a picture of your motherboard and the back of all you hard drives

in the mean time try looking here

http://overclockers.com/topiclist/index04.asp#BEGINNER%20GUIDES

ok, lol, i tried doin' it, when i plugged in the PSU the blue LED from front fan flickers along with a *flick* sound and the fan barely rotates, then eventually a red light (top right corner of mobo) comes on the mobo and stays on when the PSU is plugged in (i'm assuming the red light means the mobo is powered on...). But when i press the Power button on the front of the case nothin' happens...

Mobo:
eVGA 133-K8-NF41 mobo=http://evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=133-K8-NF41-AX

Hard Drives:
WD Caviar 250GB= http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=59
WD Raptor 74GB=http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65&Language=en
IBM Deskstar 61.4GB 7200RPM HD= got an IDE slot and an 4-pin molex...no pics cuz its so old, unless google, but i cant find any.

im on my bro's computer cuz the IDE IBM HD is in the new comp...

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
the molex connector on the motherboard (female) is for supllemental power and needs a male molex connector from the power suplply (doesnt matter which as long as it reaches). also you may want to see if you can find an adapter that converts your 20 pin connector into a 24 pin.

your 250 gig hard disc also needs a male molex connector (again doesnt really matter from were on the powersuply it comes from)

your 74 gig also needs a male molex (treat it just like the other one)

your 60 gig also needs a male molex (again treat like the last one)

btw how many male molex plugs does your power supply have coming off it?

and also do you have any other drives? (cd, dvd, disk etc.)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The molex above the slots is for powering up two 6600GT cards such as used in SLI mode. Bigger cards have PCI-Express power inputs. The problem is that cards like the 6600GT are near the limit of the PCI-Express bus BECAUSE they have no PCIe supplemental power adapter, so using two of them could destablize things.

Hence the motherboard PCIe supplemental power is only needed for running high-performance cards that have no supplemental power of their own...in two slots.

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
ok, i thought a male was a molex taht had the pins sticking out, and the female was the hole for the pins?! One of us is mixing this up.

thanks for replies. keep em' comin' please. lemme know ASAP

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
i tried doin' it, when i plugged in the PSU the blue LED from front fan flickers along with a *flick* sound and the fan barely rotates, then eventually a red light (top right corner of mobo) comes on the mobo and stays on when the PSU is plugged in (i'm assuming the red light means the mobo is powered on...). But when i press the Power button on the front of the case nothin' happens...

Anyone?

It's when i plugin the PSU cable from wall into the back of PSU, the blue LED flickers while both fans rotate a little for a split second. The only thing that stays on is the red light off the top right of the mobo. What's going on? Is it the PSU?

i have 20+4-pin connector with the top 4 slots on 24-slot open and the 4-pin +12V is connected to mobo...what the heck...What can i do?

i have hooked up:
Rear 120mm fan
Front 120mm fan
WD Caviar 80GB HD
20+4-pin
Case connectors (i'm assuming they're in the right spots)
7800GT
Corsair VS 2x512MB

[fyi: don't need cd/dvd drives, got an external usb burner/cd/dvd player]

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
figured it out. Turns out:
- with the 20-pin, the 4-pin attatches to the 20-pin to make a 24 pin and that plugs into the 24-pin slot (no need for 12V 4-pin)...lol

-also, had to switch the PSU to -, rather than the 0 to turn it on. Now it works!

Only one problem, i can't see anything. My old CPU has an VGA to AGP(?) slot which you connect the VGA connector to. The new mobo doesn't have VGA nor AGP, what do i do?
- i tried pluggin the monitor into the DVI slot on videocard, but the videocard hasn't been detected, nor has the HD been formatted. WHAT DO I DO?

Any suggestions? The mobo only has COM1 and COM2, no VGA, how the heck will i get the monitor to work?

What i need:
- VGA to PCI? or somewhat of the sort...whatcha think?
- CD-ROM so i can install XP (what you recommend? Need to be able to get from BestBuy,CompUSA, or Fry's)