Question New build. First tried boot with Win7 disc with no success. Now trying with new Win 10, runing into problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Here are the specs from my new build.
Motherboard: ASROCK H670M PRO RS Socket LGA1700/ Intel H670/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 Core 12400F Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz Kit - PVS432G320C6K
Power: Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
gpu: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 Memory
Internal memory: WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive

Okay, I really didn't want to go to Win 10, but apparently you can't install Win 7 [or maybe you can, but its not easy] on the newer hardware.

Like I said I wanted to run Win 7. I inserted the W7 disc, and it tried to load, but would freeze when it came to the Win7 logo screen. I tried making a boot disk, but still didn't work so after a few questions on this forum, and others I decided to just buy a new copy of W10Pro.

I plugged in the w10 usb, and everything went well [selected "custom install instead of upgrade] until after I selected the partition for the WB Black sn770 [just listed at partition 0 on the install list].

Next it started trying to install everything, and would get stuck during the download at around 6%. Then I would get a error message OX8007025D, and the PC would restart. After restarting, and getting back to the partition screen I got a message that the hard drive already has some information on it that would be moved to partitioned off to old info [or words to that effect}.

The next time I tried this, after the partition screen, I got around 25% downloaded, then got a OX000021A error

This happened a few times, then on the partition selection screen I clicked on the "format" option. The PC was restarted again got past the partition part, and after the partition to installation I got a C0000005 error.

I'm guessing that the attempts at installing Win7 is causing the issues. I was thinking of trying the new external SATA drive to the assigned drive for W10. Any ideas, thoughts?

RealBeast

Titan
Here are the specs from my new build.
Motherboard: ASROCK H670M PRO RS Socket LGA1700/ Intel H670/ DDR4/ SATA3&USB3.2/ M.2/ Micro ATX Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5 Core 12400F Desktop Processor 18M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz
Ram: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz Kit - PVS432G320C6K
Power: Cooler Master Watt 650 Watt Semifanless Modular Power Supply, 80 PLUS Bronze
gpu: PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT Graphics Card with 12GB GDDR6 Memory
Internal memory: WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive

Okay, I really didn't want to go to Win 10, but apparently you can't install Win 7 [or maybe you can, but its not easy] on the newer hardware.

Like I said I wanted to run Win 7. I inserted the W7 disc, and it tried to load, but would freeze when it came to the Win7 logo screen. I tried making a boot disk, but still didn't work so after a few questions on this forum, and others I decided to just buy a new copy of W10Pro.

I plugged in the w10 usb, and everything went well [selected "custom install instead of upgrade] until after I selected the partition for the WB Black sn770 [just listed at partition 0 on the install list].

Next it started trying to install everything, and would get stuck during the download at around 6%. Then I would get a error message OX8007025D, and the PC would restart. After restarting, and getting back to the partition screen I got a message that the hard drive already has some information on it that would be moved to partitioned off to old info [or words to that effect}.

The next time I tried this, after the partition screen, I got around 25% downloaded, then got a OX000021A error

This happened a few times, then on the partition selection screen I clicked on the "format" option. The PC was restarted again got past the partition part, and after the partition to installation I got a C0000005 error.

I'm guessing that the attempts at installing Win7 is causing the issues. I was thinking of trying the new external SATA drive to the assigned drive for W10. Any ideas, thoughts?
Yeah, you need to use the bios to secure erase the boot drive to clear out the partitions that the W7 attempt left behind. And no, W7 will not install on newer hardware.

Refer to page 84 of your Manual to see where the secure erase tool is located in the bios.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks. I did look into the bios for something that would erase the drive, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe I can take a picture of the bios screen, and post it here a little later.

Then I would get a error message OX8007025D,
then got a OX000021A error
after the partition to installation I got a C0000005 error.
Those are errors for corrupted windows install.
  1. Disable ram overclocking. Turn off XMP;
  2. Recreate windows installation media;
  3. Have only single drive connected, while installing windows;
  4. Clean drive before installing windows on it, use diskpart clean method
  5. When installing windows, skip downloading updates. You can do updates after windows has been installed.

Reactions: M-train

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
I did download the Windows installation [Media creation tool] on a usb drive, and tried to run it on my working Win 7 PC, but I get an error message saying basically that it can't run this program.

I then downloaded it to my working PC [win7], and tried to open the file, but again, it still won't open. I get the same error to the effect that its unable to run.

Question. Do you just download the Media Creation tool directly to the usb drive, then, not open/run it, and plug it directly into the new PC? [as in make that usb drive priority boot drive, and it will automatically open/run MCT from the usb? ].

Also I originally formatted the usb drive as a boot drive to help when I was trying to install W7. Does this need to be undone?

Question. Do you just download the Media Creation tool directly to the usb drive, then, not open/run it, and plug it directly into the new PC? [as in make that usb drive priority boot drive, and it will automatically open/run MCT from the usb? ].
Also I originally formatted the usb drive as a boot drive to help when I was trying to install W7. Does this need to be undone?
No.

You download media creation tool (save it on your pc, NOT ON USB flash drive),
run it and
create windows installation media on USB flash drive (8GB or larger).

Media creation tool overwrites flash drive completely.
There's no need to do anything with the drive before running media creation tool.

Last edited:

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Got it, but, it won't run on my pc. Like I mentioned I get this error message.
"We're not sure what happened, but we're unable to run this tool on your pc"
Error code 0x80072f8f - 0x20000

Also, I did run the diskpart on my new PC, and it wouldn't "clean" [no other drives except the internal drive].

I got this message.
Virtual disk service error
Clean not allowed on the disk containing the current boot system, pagefile, crashdump, or hibernation volume

Also, I did run the diskpart on my new PC, and it wouldn't "clean" [no other drives except the internal drive].

I got this message.
Clean not allowed on the disk containing the current boot system, pagefile, crashdump, or hibernation volume
You cannot run clean on the currently booted system drive. Reboot from USB and try again.

Check date/time settings on your pc.
You might see this error if the date and time for the PC is incorrect, or Windows has trouble connecting to the online activation service and can't verify your product key.
I got this message.
You have to boot from windows installation media.
Only then you can clean the drive, where windows will be installed on.

You can't clean a drive, if you have booted from it.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks for the help.

I want to make sure this is said, I do have a brand new w10 with its installation usb, for which I'm installing W10. I also have a separate usb drive [not connected to the new pc] that I used to try to boot w7.

Apparently, the windows installation media does have problems on the install, [same as mine] as I've read many issues in my research.

Also, I did try, and found the secure wipe on my bios. However, it also has a glitch. The message I'm getting on that issue is "HDD is frozen, please turn off, and restart your computer". I've tried powering down the pc by turning off the power supply switch, then after about ten minutes power it back on, the restarting the pc, but I get the same message every time I try to do the secure wipe.

The message I'm getting on that issue is "HDD is frozen, please turn off, and restart your computer". I've tried powering down the pc by turning off the power supply switch, then after about ten minutes power it back on, the restarting the pc, but I get the same message every time I try to do the secure wipe.
Get a different HDD/SSD.
You get this error, when SSD has exhausted all write cycles and locked itself.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
The only thing I have is a brand new external sata drive. I'll plug it in, and give it a try.

I guess I'll throw the new internal ssd drive into the trash, and order a new one in the future.

M-train

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Well, I was able to get w10 loaded.

I had to remove the SSD drive from the mother board, and reinstall it.

It was a hail Mary pass, but that did the trick. Of course there are new things to do to get everything setup [one being able to download Firefox], but for now I'm going to just let everything sit until tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.