[SOLVED] New Build for a New Guy...

Mar 14, 2021
Approximate Purchase Date: I plan on purchasing parts over the next 2-3 weeks (depending on when the boss releases funds...boss meaning my wife)

Budget Range: My price range is between 1500 and 2000 for a completed machine, depending on extras (explained at end)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: This build will be used to process photographs using Adobe products, video editing, and streaming (Gaming rig from the PC and porting console streams through internal capture card)

Are you buying a monitor: If there is money left over, I will purchase a 4k capable monitor, but I own a decent monitor for now

Parts to Upgrade: I own a Dell 8500 XPS I can either donate to my kids (it crashes often) or I can steal parts from it to donate to new machine

Do you need to buy OS: Yes Windows 10 Pro with USB

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon (for Prime), New Egg but I will literally use any site that is reputable and offer full warranties

Location: Ellensburg, WA USA (find the middle of nowhere, and head more nowhere)

Parts Preferences: I want to build around the Ryzen 9 3900X, I do not understand how to match a motherboard and stuff to get optimal use, this will be my first build even though I understand how to do everything, and I have taken them apart and rebuilt, or changed out parts, I have never done it from scratch, so I am asking you guys for help.

Overclocking: Maybe - This makes me nervous, I have never done it, so further explanation would help me.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - I do not understand the difference, and I am not ashamed to admit that.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: Looking for some parts with RGB and a body that allows an open glass look, so I can run Red LED's and allow an over all appearance for the stream. I would like a quiet machine, that can handle plenty of large images for HDR work, video processing, and game streaming at a low competitive level. I play console so if it is better to have an internal or external capture card, I would like an opinion on that, but I will be streaming heavily to raise awareness and help prevent veteran suicide as I myself am a Disabled Veteran. I am not stuck on any part brands aside from Nvidia for the GPU and the Ryzen chip.
I appreciate all of the assistance from everyone who takes the time, you will be part of my foundational pieces in building my future stream to save veteran lives, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you, as I understand it takes time to do this, I have already spent hours looking around and feel like a lost child. I will attempt to answer questions as quickly as I can, and as honestly as I can, I am not ashamed of my ignorance, I have an IT degree, but it has been years of gathering dust due to my disabilities, times have changed LOL.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I can barely run WOW on the system that I have, most of the USB ports dont work, I have no sound, and it doesn't handle Windows 10, I am tired of crashing my computer every time I work on a photoshoot, and God Forbid if I try to edit a video.
As a side note, what GPU should I get to hold me over until I can find a 3070?
EXTRAS- I need a new gaming keyboard, and mouse. I need suggestions on a Mic and Camera as well- These can be outside of budget, but we can fit as much as we can INTO any extra part of the budget left. I will be playing COD MW, Fortnite, WOW, and other games.

Last edited:
Solution
@Newtonius Thank you, you got everything in there for me... you rock. My migraine (fun disabled veteran side effect) makes me a little slow on the uptake LOL.

What about a body? (case)
Whoops, thought I added that. Here you go. Though this case is subjective, if you don't like the way it looks choose something that's an ATX size.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($484.00 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory...
Here's a build. The GPU that can hold you over until you get a 3070 would be a 1660 Super, or a 1660. Either of those will be enough for WoW.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Lenovo)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1454.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-14 16:43 EDT-0400

Mar 14, 2021
Thanks, I will look it over, I will fix the comment about WOW, that’s what I played, I am bringing COD MW and Fortnite over to pc from console, I am going to start splitting my console and pc gaming... lol oops. But that’s why I am going to the 3070...

@Newtonius Thank you, you got everything in there for me... you rock. My migraine (fun disabled veteran side effect) makes me a little slow on the uptake LOL.

What about a body? (case)
Whoops, thought I added that. Here you go. Though this case is subjective, if you don't like the way it looks choose something that's an ATX size.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($74.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.49 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.88 @ Other World Computing)
Keyboard: Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Lenovo)
Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1519.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-15 13:03 EDT-0400

Reactions: JustEppic
Solution
Mar 14, 2021
I cant seem to even find this graphics card anywhere, without a 3000% increase in price, is this why everyone is suggesting buying a premade? ugh... i dont want to do that... lol
If I do, who should I go with? I need a computer, and I dont want to wait around forever... I hate DELL, so I was looking at cyberpower and Ibuy but i wasn't sure.

Reactions: Why_Me
I cant seem to even find this graphics card anywhere, without a 3000% increase in price, is this why everyone is suggesting buying a premade? ugh... i dont want to do that... lol
If I do, who should I go with? I need a computer, and I dont want to wait around forever... I hate DELL, so I was looking at cyberpower and Ibuy but i wasn't sure.

Yes it is

Between chip shortages, manufacturing delays and crypto mining, every graphics card is sold out or at ridiculously inflated pricing, even something 3 generastions old like a RX 570 is selling above its released price. It should be something like 100-120, and its about 350

Cyberpower and iBuypower are okay at best, but at least you can pick quality parts.

Other sites to look at:

avadirect

Origin PC

Dell and Lenovo are good if you go for the cpu and gpu you want, then basics for everything else (boosting ram and ssds are where they really inflate things)

NXZT's basics are good as well

Last edited:

Some people buy pre-builts just to take out the GPU (and other components they want) for their DIY and then resell whatever they don't want. Though even pre-builts are overpriced.

Mar 14, 2021
Yes it is

Between chip shortages, manufacturing delays and crypto mining, every graphics card is sold out or at ridiculously inflated pricing, even something 3 generastions old like a RX 570 is selling above its released price. It should be something like 100-120, and its about 350

Cyberpower and iBuypower are okay at best, but at least you can pick quality parts.

Other sites to look at:

avadirect

Origin PC

Dell and Lenovo are good if you go for the cpu and gpu you want, then basics for everything else (boosting ram and ssds are where they really inflate things)

NXZT's basics are good as well

Thanks, so are you saying if I go for Dell (for example, i used to like Alienware till Dell took them over) I would go basic hard drives and memory, then replace those items with DIY or robbing from my current system? (I have decent memory and stuff). I looked at Origin and they are cool but super expensive for the same stuff as everyone else, the one difference is I KNOW for sure I am getting a specific product, that is a nice feature LOL. My biggest problem is that being a disabled veteran, and needing a computer NOW for working on, as well as doing my gaming and streaming, I am fairly limited in my ability to buy one, tear it apart, piece it out, and use those parts to finish a build - so now I am kind of stuck, because my budget doesn't go up, and the market is terrible. PERFECT storm right?

indeed.

looking at the websites, I think tyhe best prices on 'ready to ship' are at Cyberpower.

I don't know what PSUs they put n them, so I'd consider getting one and possibly replacing the PSU with a higher squality model.

Of what listed there I'd get the 3600 and RTX 3060 setup for $1129/ its good enough to work for a while at 1080p, and should be easy to drop in a 5000-series CPU and more powerful GPU -and probably power supply - when they are more available (Newegg generally has 5800Xs available now).

you could order it and have it by tuesday

Mar 14, 2021
indeed.

looking at the websites, I think tyhe best prices on 'ready to ship' are at Cyberpower.

I don't know what PSUs they put n them, so I'd consider getting one and possibly replacing the PSU with a higher squality model.

Of what listed there I'd get the 3600 and RTX 3060 setup for $1129/ its good enough to work for a while at 1080p, and should be easy to drop in a 5000-series CPU and more powerful GPU -and probably power supply - when they are more available (Newegg generally has 5800Xs available now).

you could order it and have it by tuesday

Thanks I will take a look, I just built one on Dell for Alienware to see, and can get the Ryzen 7 (so not the 9 I wanted) but I get the 3070, and everything else. They discounted it for my Disabled Veteran status, so I can get it for 2k even. with 1TB Sata and 1TB NVME whatever... I would put more RAM into it for video processing, so that is my other option, but I will look.

If I go with what you just showed me, I would get a better PSU, more RAM, and a bettter CPU at some point? When I switch out the CPU I need to purchase Windows 10 right? (I am asking all these noob questions now, so I dont need to later, lol)

Please list the entire specs of that 2k even system.

For 2K you can get a Ryzen 5900X with 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD boot drive, 1TB SSD storage drive, RMX PSU etc.

Why the 3900X on a X570 platform where you use 0 PCIe 4.0 SSD?

5900X + B550 board would have been a better choice.

Mar 14, 2021
Please list the entire specs of that 2k even system.

For 2K you can get a Ryzen 5900X with 32GB of RAM, 1TB SSD boot drive, 1TB SSD storage drive, RMX PSU etc.
ok, anything to keep me away from Dell. I know people like them, but I hate their customer service... I am sure I will hate Cyberpower customer service too LOL... This is the joy of being a grumpy disabled veteran, I can hate everyone, except you guys, you have been cool!

Mar 14, 2021
The best price would be $2###+Taxes, I have also included 1 year of premium Support for no additional cost.

Configuration
Processor:AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800 (8-Core, 36MB Total Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.6GHz) 321
Operating System:Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
Video Card:NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 8GB GDDR6
Chassis Options:Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply 276
Memory:16GB DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 128GB (additional memory sold separately)
Hard Drive:1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Wireless:Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 5.1

This is cut and paste from the email I made them send me, I shouldn't show the price because of the veteran discount, but just know its right at 2000, and nod.

Mar 14, 2021
My biggest issue with them, I have NO IDEA what soundcard I am getting, i have no idea what brand my hard drives are, and I am a Ryzen7 instead of a 9. This whole things has been several days of me beating my head against this laptop trying to make things happen. LOL

That build at 2000 is ok if the motherboard, psu are good quality parts. I just did the build in pcpartpicker and it's around 2100 dollars with a 200 dollars motherboard and a 140 dollars PSU of good quality. If not I can drop it to 2000.

So all in all that system you described isn't bad but like you said sometime they don't tell you the model of some stuff.

The soundcard is on the motherboard now. No need to buy a soundcard unless you're in the audio stuff.

Mar 14, 2021
NO it doesn't list them - and most of the reviews talk about the power supply, and missing DLL's, and stuff, which is why i hate Dell. Even with the discount I feel like I could do so much better with one of these other companies, i just dont know enough to not get in trouble by buying stuff i dont need, or NOT buying something I DO need.
I will buy the external thing to stream my console, so that doesn't have to be on there. I know how to swap hard drives so I can be short one for awhile, I can get better memory somewhere else cheaper... but I dont understand cooling systems, or if I use too much power what happens, because i know what happens if I underpower it. I want it to have fancy lights but I dont really care, right now I just want a system I can stream on, play decent games at a good/great FPS with good settings (my disability makes seeing things funny, TBI military) and all that... I might sound extra frustrated but I just finished my PTSD session so I jumped over here to do this, and I might be leaking some of that out, sorry.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
Aw thanks, i didn't know about sound, did I just age myself? LOL
Yeah, i would rather build with one of these others and KNOW my parts to be honest, i dont need to pay for a name "alienware" that went to "pot"4 years ago anyway. LOL

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
@Nemesia Do you think there is a better build in Cyber or somewhere I can get where I know my parts, same approximate price, and I dont have to deal with Dell? I would much rather step up to the Ryzen 9 and I like the idea of picking parts which is why I liked Cyber and Ibuypower but I dont know the companies that much. I looked over the other ones listed and they seem better... maybe I just spend more and go with them. Avadirect seemed ok, I couldn't get one for less than 3k though on Origin but maybe im just a boomer ROFLMAO. I am going to keep kicking this stuff around until I land on something that satisfies me and some of you guys go... THERE it is. LOL

Thanks I will take a look, I just built one on Dell for Alienware to see, and can get the Ryzen 7 (so not the 9 I wanted) but I get the 3070, and everything else. They discounted it for my Disabled Veteran status, so I can get it for 2k even. with 1TB Sata and 1TB NVME whatever... I would put more RAM into it for video processing, so that is my other option, but I will look.

If I go with what you just showed me, I would get a better PSU, more RAM, and a bettter CPU at some point? When I switch out the CPU I need to purchase Windows 10 right? (I am asking all these noob questions now, so I dont need to later, lol)

Pretty much.

The 3060 is good at gaming, and while not the 3070, would tide you over for a while until GPUa become available. Remember, its HALF the price of the 5800X alienware build as it stands.

if you got the cyberpower pc, I'd go ahead and get a 32 GB DDR$-3600 CAS 16, ram set ($150-160) to replace the 16 GB, and have about $70 on standby for a different PSU (depends what PSU it comes with), going for a 80+ Gold EVGA, Seasonic, Antec, in the 700-750W range to allow for a more power hungrey cpu and gpu upgrade. the 3060 will get you about 75-80% of the performance of A 3070, -- it'll tide you over for now. You can also consider $450 to upgrade to a 5800X. all together, about $680 more, added to the $1129 comes to 1820, still $180 less than the alienware.

you won't need to purchase win 10 again with a new cpu. you can reregister your existing license with microsoft

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
That actually makes sense to me strangely enough LOL. I appreciate it. So now i have that to think about. This is a 'buy Now" do you recommend that over trying to piece together something with them, because of their bloated prices of upgrading pieces?
Here comes my noob skin showing @ScrewySqrl - How much will I realistically gain between the different Ryzen CPU's? It has been forever since I took the time to understand benchmarking and all that, and I got old, so now I am trying to figure it out. For example, the Ryzen 9 and the Ryzen 7 and the levels in the Ryzen 9. I see such huge price differences but not much change, yes one is 16 core, but its still only 3.8 just like the 8 core so you are doubling your cores, but your speeds are going to remain the same?

Mar 14, 2021
Moderators - thanks for editing and reminding me, just because i had ptsd session today, doesn't mean I am above the laws, I will try to watch my words... i type about how i speak though so its gonna be a fun one LOL.

Its probably easiest to look at the charts from whem the 5xxx cpus came out.

the 5900X has double the cores of the 3600 (12 vs 6), so can handle approximately twice the multithreaded workload of the 3600, plus its a newer, faster cpu on all cores. its also hard to find, though supply is improving. the 5900X will also need a better cooling solution than the cooler that comes on the cyberpower PC (which is good for 105W TDP. the 5800/5900/5950 are all nominal 105W parts, but when boosting can peak at 142W. so the cooler would work, but your boost would be limited. Another reason to put off swapping for a little. I'd suggest a 150W TDP or better cooler, such as Arctic's Freezer 34 ESports, or Be Quiet!'s Pure Rock 2,

Heres multiple Tom's reviews:

a review of the 3600 just before the 5000 series came out. It was, at the time, the best 'bang for yor buck' cpu around:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-3600-review,6287.html

the launch reviews of the 5900 and 5950X:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-9-5950x-5900x-zen-3-review/8

5800X review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review

and the 5600X review:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-5-5600x-zen-3-review