New build for an old dog. (Advice please ^^)

aceoffools

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Compiling parts for a new 2011 gaming tower, any advice on replacements/better fit or obvious fack-ups would be appreciated. ^^ (Windows 7 Home)

TOWER; Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP

MOBO; Intel DP67BG

Intel Core i7-2600K Processor

GRAPHICS; MSI GeForce GTX560 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N560GTX TI TWIN FROZR II OC

SOUND; Creative Labs SB0886 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Professional Series Sound Card

RAM; G. Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB

HARD-DRIVE; Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARS

POWER SUP; Cooler Master GX Series 750W ATX Power Supply RS750-ACAAE3-US

CD/DVD; Samsung Blu-Ray Internal SATA Drive with Lightscribe 12x BD-ROM 16x DVD-ROM 8x DVDRW 8x DVD-/+R DL 48x CD-ROM SH-B123L/BSBP

WIRELESS; D-Link DWA-552 Xtreme N Wireless PCI Adapter

Been rather out of touch for a few years, any input would be helpful as far as off/online gaming is concerned, thanks!

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
Screen resolution? If you're using anything less than 1080p then the 560 isn't a necessity and probably won't be for the next 2 or 3 years.

The i7-2600K isn't cost-worthy for gaming, get the i5-2500K and overclock it to 4.4GHz (this can be easily achieved on the retail cooler).

Do you really need Blu-ray for a gaming system? Even if you do, get a regular optical drive also.

If you're not getting an SSD then the WDC-Green is a terrible choice, get a couple of Samsung HD103SJ(s) or a WDC-Black (SATA2 2000GB).

Good choice or RAM assuming you've opted for PC3-10666.

You don't really need a sound card, surely?

That power supply is "overkill" if you don't plan to add a second card in the future, get a good Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX or Enermax 650w PSU. Besides, CM units are of low quality.

Will you be using 64bit Windows or 32bit?

The Asus P8P67-Pro is a better Sandy Bridge mo. board than the Intel one you've chosen and I imagine it to be cheaper.

Omnisome lies about the CM being low quality.

The series you chose was low quality I do admit. However with the new series of Silent Pro's they're quality and silence is comparable to those of Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, or Enermax. Plus they're cheaper.

I'm using a Silent Pro 700w 80+ Brnz right now. It's powering my system just fine. In fact it may be the quietest thing in my system.

Budget?
Please fill.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

omnisome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

Silent Pro? I've never heard of such a series, I must look.

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTT THEEEE FACK.

Well I have a build guide in my siggy for 1200$. Just add another 560 Ti and your set. SLI 560 Ti's that can reach SLI 570 performance. A solid PSU. And overclocking 2500K to 4.6ghz on a stock cooler is pretty sweet. Check it out!. You only need to spend 1500$ max.

Dyers Eve

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2011
Sound cards have never been popular but they are still a giant improvement over onboard sound if you have a decent speaker system to support them. I usually go with a very cheap sound card and even then the improvement is noticeable. For someone who does gaming and watches movies (I assume because he wants blu-ray) then a sound card is really a must, it turns your computer into a mini home theater.