Build Advice New build for home office, video, and browsing ?

sofalinux

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I'm on a tight budget. No place locally except Bestbuy. Here is what I see as my best list of parts.
Motherboard.....MSI Z490 Pro.....$125
CPU.....Intel I5 Model BX8070110400.....$164
Power Supply.....Various 500watt models available.....$50
Memory.....Various 240 pin Dimm 8gig..... $50
Keybrd/Mouse.....Logitech.....$50
I think the MB comes with onboard audio and graphics?
I think the CPU comes with a cooler?
I have a spare tower. I have an SSD
Am I forgetting anything?
Does this plan look like a good idea? Thanks.

I'm on a tight budget. No place locally except Bestbuy. Here is what I see as my best list of parts.
Motherboard.....MSI Z490 Pro.....$125
CPU.....Intel I5 Model BX8070110400.....$164
Power Supply.....Various 500watt models available.....$50
Memory.....Various 240 pin Dimm 8gig..... $50
Keybrd/Mouse.....Logitech.....$50
I think the MB comes with onboard audio and graphics?
I think the CPU comes with a cooler?
I have a spare tower. I have an SSD
Am I forgetting anything?
Does this plan look like a good idea? Thanks.
Can you not order online? That's not a good value list

sofalinux

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I know the parts are more expensive than I prefer but sometimes I don't trust the online ordering process with things that I am not really well versed in. I just want confirmation that that these parts are compatible and will give me a good home pc without unforseen problems with the parts I purchased. My current pc was born close to twenty years ago and I have rebuilt it a couple of times. It has given me no disappointments in performance for my meager needs. I run linux and have always done all my own packaging. I know that ANYTHING I buy new now will be lightyears ahead of what I have .

I know the parts are more expensive than I prefer but sometimes I don't trust the online ordering process with things that I am not really well versed in. I just want confirmation that that these parts are compatible and will give me a good home pc without unforseen problems with the parts I purchased. My current pc was born close to twenty years ago and I have rebuilt it a couple of times. It has given me no disappointments in performance for my meager needs. I run linux and have always done all my own packaging. I know that ANYTHING I buy new now will be lightyears ahead of what I have .
Amazon and Newegg are both legitimate. I can make you a good list from one of them that you can just order. You're paying more for less buying those parts is my point. Will they work, yes.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Actually, if I am reading right, your motherboard (a 4xx chipset) may need a BIOS update before it will work with an 11th gen CPU. For out of box compatibility consider a 5xx chipset.

Also agree with above. Check around on Amazon or Newegg for much better pricing.

What is your budget and are the above parts the only components you need for the new build? The case you have is what size?

sofalinux

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
I have an ATX case and a 500gig SSD. $500 is a good budget for me for the parts I have listed. I am not a music hoarder or a graphics guru and a video fanatic. I browse the web, watch youtube daily, store my camera pics, store pdf books, downloads daily podcasts and do some light home office work.

bmockeg, if you make a list I will consider it.
Thanks.

I have an ATX case and a 500gig SSD. $500 is a good budget for me for the parts I have listed. I am not a music hoarder or a graphics guru and a video fanatic. I browse the web, watch youtube daily, store my camera pics, store pdf books, downloads daily podcasts and do some light home office work.

bmockeg, if you make a list I will consider it.
Thanks.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TbXtH2

For your use this is even overkill but should last a long time. You could optionally get a better cooler for another $20 or so but the stock one will suffixe for your use case.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TbXtH2

For your use this is even overkill but should last a long time. You could optionally get a better cooler for another $20 or so but the stock one will suffixe for your use case.

I find it odd that the compatibility check is throwing a warning about BIOS between the B660 and 12400. Is that correct? By tick tock (release method) it should be good.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looking solely at Bestbuy is the list you have probably the best option.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...ked-desktop-processor/6411498.p?skuId=6411498
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-xl...p-dimm-memory-kit-red/5878702.p?skuId=5878702

Other option for cpu+motherboard would be these,
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/intel-...700-desktop-processor/6492596.p?skuId=6492596
still uses ddr4 so the rest would be the same and pricewise hardly any difference. Is latest socket so if upgrading would be something of the future maybe the better option, then again with what you do is a 10400 probably going to last years and years. The internal gpu on the other hand of the pentium g7400 does have support for higher pixelrate at 4K resolutions so if hooking this up to a 4K panel could you be better of with the Pentium g7400.

Or via pcpartpicker,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($151.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Silicon Power SP016GXLZU320BDAAD 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Asus TUF Gaming B 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $320.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-09 18:00 EDT-0400

The bios needed for the 5600g is over a year old, i assume by now the motherboard comes with it, but if they have old stock well who knows.

or Intel,

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Silicon Power SP016GXLZU320BDAAD 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Asus TUF Gaming B 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $338.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-09 18:04 EDT-0400

Personally, looking at all above does the AMD 5600g build make the most sense and is the cheapest.

TRENDING THREADS