[SOLVED] New build for office!

BMilli21

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
I am looking to build a new PC to serve as an office computer that does all the basic office things (emails, web browsing, word processing) as well as some light video editing.

I saw this build on techbuyersguru.com linked here: https://techbuyersguru.com/500-home-office-pc-build and it looked like a decent build but I put it into PC part picker and it says there might be an incompatibility with the processor and BIOS of the motherboard. Does anyone know if this issue is valid? Or if this build would work?

Solution
The s12iii is made by another company (i cant even pronounce the name) and has SeaSonic slap their logo on it. Its questionable at best.

Go for a corsair CX450 which is a known reliable PSU.

If the bios is incompatible the system will not boot, at all. However, the MSI MAX motherboard will support 3rd generation CPUs without the need for a bios update. No worries there.

2x8gb is fine for editing, however 2666mhz is slow for Ryzen and will lower CPU and GPU performance. Go for a 3000-3200mhz kit which will only run you $55-65 give or take.
For office tasks it looks fine. But for video editing - it's way too short in cpu and ram.
Change cpu to Ryzen 5 3400G and ram to 32GB DDR4 3200mhz.

And yes - B450 board requires BIOS update before it can work with Ryzen 3xxx cpus. Pcpartpicker is giving you warning about that.

BMilli21

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
Thanks for responding so quickly guys. So do you really think the CPU and RAM is too short for even very light video editing, like just trimming video and maybe adjusting contrast/brightness?

Also, how much of a problem is that BIOS update? Does that mean I can just build the system like normal, load the OS, connect to the internet and then update the BIOS? Or is it more complicated then that? Will the unrecognized processor cause problems with this?

@g-unit1111 What do you mean that PSU isn't made by Seasonic? It looks like it's manufactured by them.

The s12iii is made by another company (i cant even pronounce the name) and has SeaSonic slap their logo on it. Its questionable at best.

If the bios is incompatible the system will not boot, at all. However, the MSI MAX motherboard will support 3rd generation CPUs without the need for a bios update. No worries there.

2x8gb is fine for editing, however 2666mhz is slow for Ryzen and will lower CPU and GPU performance. Go for a 3000-3200mhz kit which will only run you $55-65 give or take.

Solution
Here's some more info on the S12iii
The SEASONIC S12III is not a SEASONIC it's actually manufactured by SHENZHEN RUISHENGYUAN TECHNOLOGY who also produced the horrible XFX XT series. Very very poor quality.
The older S12ii (only ii and not iii) is manufactured by Seasonic. The S12ii is a very old PSU, but over this time it has gained a reputation for longevity and reliability. Sort of built like tanks.

The newer S12iii has a bad reputation. The s12ii are well known solid units, and the following s12iii is made by a completely different company known for poor reliability.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah just make sure that it's the 2017 model or later. You don't want to go lower than that.

And make sure that it's Samsung B-Die. The G. Skill Trident Z is usually the best representation but I think it can also be found on the less expensive Ripjaw V variants. Othewise the HK Hynix is the other RAM that you want to try to go for which is usually found on Corsair Vengeance / Dominator.

BMilli21

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013

Ok, I'll go with the CX450, thanks for the suggestion.

MAX motherboard, the one I'm getting will work with the processor, good to know.

As far as RAM goes, what do you suggest for a 3000-3200mhz kit? Just bump up to partiot viper 4 series extreme @ 3200mhz?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Here's a suggestion - take a look at what I call "The Micro Machine" in my signature. It's tiny, a little bit larger than an ATX power supply, and it comes with WiFi. Also, it has an external power brick.

That A300W unit will accept any AMD Ryzen that has integrated graphics, from the Athlon 200GE, 220GE, and 240GE, to the Ryzen 2200G and 2400G, and apparently has an updated BIOS available for the 3200G and 3400G (probably the Athlon 300GE as well).

Just note that the system uses laptop RAM. I picked the Athlon 200GE, the small SSD, and slow RAM because my needs were minimal. Anything more on the storage, RAM, and CPU side noticeably reduced my bang-for-buck, and I was trying to keep the system under $300 total after tax. But, faster RAM will work on it.