[SOLVED] New build for productivity and light gaming ?

Chernabog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
Hey everyone,
I am building a new pc for myself (upgrading from a laptop which can't take any more beating). I will be using it primarily for photoshop, zbrush, some blender, unity, UE5, some coding and streaming (OBS) usually photoshop and zbrush.
Budget 1500 euros max.

Located in Italy.

Here is one I was considering, after some recommendations.
PCPartPicker Part List: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/qhJn2m

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor (€370.00 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler (€34.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€149.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€124.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€54.42 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.81 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING Twin Edge Video Card (€469.90 @ Alternate Italia)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€77.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€93.22 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €1429.13

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
Yes, the power limit. Well, it's a fairly easy way to get more performance out of the chip. The way it works is, for the duration od Tau, most of the time meaning the first 56 seconds, the CPU draws 180W if all cores are boosting up and are loaded. Then, when that time frame ends the power consumption drops to 65W and the boost cloxk gets adjusted down as well, meaning the CPU slows down and performance drops. By setting PL1 = PL2, you ensure that the CPU boosts indefinitely as high and as long as the temperatures are fine. For gaming, this rarely matters since games are not a particularly high load and mostly utilize only a handful of cores, so power draw is low and high clocks can be sustained. For productivity, on the...

KyaraM

Admirable
Good morning! Build is looking pretty nice. I would, however, recommend a stronger cooler. Nominally, the 12700 is a 65W CPU sure. However, to get the most out of it, you might want to adjust the power limit in BIOS or tools under Windows. With the cooler you currently picked, it might get uncomfortably warm quickly under sustained load situations since the CPU, if PL1 = PL2, will draw a sustained 180W, possibly more if you completely take away the power limit. So to keep it cool, you might want to look into something like the BeQuiet Dark Rock 4 or Dark Rock 4 Pro. A Pure Rock 2 is also not bad in in a similar price range as the Esports, but will also struggle under sustained high loads. Just food for thoughts. You of course Don need to do that, just wanted to make sure you won't be disappointed if the CPU isn't as fast as expected. Also, you could also consider DDR4 3600 RAM, Intel is allowing RAM OC on all chipsets except H610, so if you find good RAM that's not too expensive, that would be an option, too. I got the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600 in 32 GB, which is quite decent.

Hey everyone,
I am building a new pc for myself (upgrading from a laptop which can't take any more beating). I will be using it primarily for photoshop, zbrush, some blender, unity, UE5, some coding and streaming (OBS) usually photoshop and zbrush.
Budget 1500 euros max.

Located in Italy.

Here is one I was considering, after some recommendations.
PCPartPicker Part List: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/qhJn2m

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor (€370.00 @ Amazon Italia)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports CPU Cooler (€34.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€149.99 @ Amazon Italia)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€124.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€54.42 @ Amazon Italia)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€53.81 @ Amazon Italia)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB GAMING Twin Edge Video Card (€469.90 @ Alternate Italia)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (€77.90 @ Amazon Italia)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€93.22 @ Amazon Italia)
Total: €1429.13

Thanks in advance!
Opinion.
I'd test with the stock cooler.
Run my stuff and watch temps and perf.
I might play with power limits just for testing to see if it was worth the effort.
The results would tell me if I needed a better cooler.

KyaraM

Admirable
Yes, the power limit. Well, it's a fairly easy way to get more performance out of the chip. The way it works is, for the duration od Tau, most of the time meaning the first 56 seconds, the CPU draws 180W if all cores are boosting up and are loaded. Then, when that time frame ends the power consumption drops to 65W and the boost cloxk gets adjusted down as well, meaning the CPU slows down and performance drops. By setting PL1 = PL2, you ensure that the CPU boosts indefinitely as high and as long as the temperatures are fine. For gaming, this rarely matters since games are not a particularly high load and mostly utilize only a handful of cores, so power draw is low and high clocks can be sustained. For productivity, on the other hand, especially heavy computing tasks for the CPU over longer time periods, things are very different. If you, for example, do encoding via CPU, it will go to high loads and most likely for longer than Tau applies, so you will feel a performance hit after the first minute. And 2.6 GHz base clock ia pretty slow.

I wouldn't trust the stock cooler with the 12700. From my 12700k, I know that it can get warm even with decent coolers. The stock cooler will keep the CPU running okay, but only with power limits enforced and then still quite warm. It's not designed for high, sustained loads. For example, on a 12700K running at 4.6-4.8GHz in Cinebench 23, the aforementioned Pure Rock 2 cannot keep it from throttling in the 10 minutes test even with undervolting and limiting power draw to 160W, so below what even your 12700 will be able to pull, which is why I recommended the Dark Rock 4 (Pro). And the Pure Rock 2 is quite a bit better than the Intel Stock cooler. Sure, enforcing PL1 (125W for the 12700K) would lessen the load and heat, but also performance (actually not that badly for the 12700K since the last few percent are very expensive, but still a bit), and 125W is a fair bit more than the 65W your CPU would drop to when enforcing power limits, so you would lose quite a bit more performance. Your choice. I personally wouldn't take the hit.

Solution

Chernabog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
Yes, the power limit. Well, it's a fairly easy way to get more performance out of the chip. The way it works is, for the duration od Tau, most of the time meaning the first 56 seconds, the CPU draws 180W if all cores are boosting up and are loaded. Then, when that time frame ends the power consumption drops to 65W and the boost cloxk gets adjusted down as well, meaning the CPU slows down and performance drops. By setting PL1 = PL2, you ensure that the CPU boosts indefinitely as high and as long as the temperatures are fine. For gaming, this rarely matters since games are not a particularly high load and mostly utilize only a handful of cores, so power draw is low and high clocks can be sustained. For productivity, on the other hand, especially heavy computing tasks for the CPU over longer time periods, things are very different. If you, for example, do encoding via CPU, it will go to high loads and most likely for longer than Tau applies, so you will feel a performance hit after the first minute. And 2.6 GHz base clock ia pretty slow.

I wouldn't trust the stock cooler with the 12700. From my 12700k, I know that it can get warm even with decent coolers. The stock cooler will keep the CPU running okay, but only with power limits enforced and then still quite warm. It's not designed for high, sustained loads. For example, on a 12700K running at 4.6-4.8GHz in Cinebench 23, the aforementioned Pure Rock 2 cannot keep it from throttling in the 10 minutes test even with undervolting and limiting power draw to 160W, so below what even your 12700 will be able to pull, which is why I recommended the Dark Rock 4 (Pro). And the Pure Rock 2 is quite a bit better than the Intel Stock cooler. Sure, enforcing PL1 (125W for the 12700K) would lessen the load and heat, but also performance (actually not that badly for the 12700K since the last few percent are very expensive, but still a bit), and 125W is a fair bit more than the 65W your CPU would drop to when enforcing power limits, so you would lose quite a bit more performance. Your choice. I personally wouldn't take the hit.
I don't think it would take the op very long to figure out if they needed a better cooler with some simple testing.

If the op would rather go for a better cooler from the start that's their call.

Reactions: Chernabog