New build for Rendering, please help

jeak

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm putting a new pc together for heavy rendering in 3dmax and the sorts. if you can just tell me which build would be a better system. I won't do any gaming with this machine, I have a different pc for gaming.

they both cost roughly the same and are already almost stretching the budget.

the common hardware between the 2 builds will be:
Seagate® Barracuda™ 7200.12 Series - 500GB Serial ATA II
GIGABYTE® ODIN GT 550W Modular Power Supply

Build 1

Intel® Boxed Core™ i7 920 Processor - 2.66GHz Quad Core
XFX Intel X58, LGA1366 motherboard
Transcend® JetRam™ High-Performance Tri-Channel 2GB DDR3-1333, 6gigs total
2x XFX GTX260 running SLI

Build 2

INTEL Core2 Quad Q9400-2.66Ghz CPU -6MB Cache
Gigabyte EP43-UD3L LGA775 Motherboard
4x Transcend Jetram 2GB DDR2-800, 8gigs total
Nvidia FX3800 Quadro

if someone could just help me, i dont know how much the processor works when working with intense graphics. basically the difference between the 2 builds is that the one has the better and more expensive Graphics so i had to get the slower CPU. and the other is a stronger CPU but more gaming orientated Graphics.

One option I was thinking of is swopping the 2 GTX260's for a FX1800 Quadro. which would be better? the quodro would have half the memory.

please help. any other similar builds which you might suggest would be helpful. thanks

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
If you want good feedback from actual users I would use the Autodesk Hardware Discussion Forum. There are a couple CAD managers who post there.
http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=116

Autodesk rendering is generally CPU bound. I would rethink sacrificing too much on the CPU side. Generally speaking there are tons of people using gaming cards for CAD related work with little to no issues since you can use Direct X acceleration now.

I would pose your question as above, but I generally think you can go with a single card and be fine based on other people manipulating 3D models (we don't do much 3DMax here so I can't speak to that program).