Question New build Freeze/lockup when playing specific games

Nov 24, 2020
Hi everyone,

I built a brand new computer last September, ever since that time, i have been having some frequent system lockups but only when playing specific games.
All temperatures seems to be fine, nothing out of the ordinary, the wierdest thing is that it happens very selectively in specific games.

For example:

I froze once every 6 or so hours playing Phasmophobia, same for Final Fantasy XIV which freezes the entire computer once every 6 or 9 so hours as well.
Played Nioh 2 for 65 hours, only froze 2 times during that entire time.
Played Sekiro for over 60 hours with the FPS Unlock patch, no freezes.
Played Yakuza Like a Dragon for over 70 hours, no freezes.
Played DMC5 for about 25 hours, no freezes

I would like to note that i did switch from a 1080TI to a RTX 3080 and the issue occurs even after switching GPUs, so its definitely not a GPU issue.
Event Viewer does not help beyond just telling me that the system has stopped unexpectedly, i have been unable to find any good leads on how to fix this issue and it is extremely tiresome.
I have tried with stock RAM speeds and with the XMP profile, i get the crashes on both setting.
I ran a Memtest on both my ram sticks and it did not detect any issues, i would think that if it was the RAM, it would probably crash outside of games as well.
My personal theories is that its either my noisy 5TB Harddrive or my Power Supply causing this, but i have been unable to confirm.

i should also note that the PSU i have been using since 2016 on my previous build and i never had any issues like that before.
I first experienced this a mere 2-3 days after building the computer initially, so im doubtful that this is a Driver/Windows issue or even a temperature one, the freezing is really random.
I have no choice but to hard reset the computer using the power button when that happens.

I would appreciate if anyone could pitch in on what could be causing this as i am truly at a loss with this issue.
I have updated all drivers including my motherboard to the latest BIOS available on the website, ive also DDU'd from a safe boot and then re-installed the latest driver clean.

Current Specs:

Motherboard: MSI Pro Z390-A Pro LGA 1151 (300 series)
CPU: i7-9700k (no OC applied)
GPU: RTX 3080 (no OC applied) (used to happen with my GTX 1080Ti as well)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 80+ GOLD 750W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ (crash occurs with the XMP profile OFF or ON)
Storage; 1TB Crucial P1 NVME - 5TB WD Black HDD (Which can get really loud and scratchy sounding)

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS