Question New build freezes during boot

RDKells

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
======
Edit (TLDR);

System was freezing on MSI logo, sometimes made it to windows login screen but just froze.
All components recognised in BIOS, BIOS menu worked fine.
Tried all steps in sticky "System won't post" thread, nothing worked.
Returned the MOBO; MSI Z390 MPG Carbon Pro
Bought a new MOBO; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro

System works fine, so motherboard was faulty for whatever reason.
======

Hello,

This is my 3rd system build along with numerous upgrades over the years and it's the first time I've had a problem.

Specs;
New parts;
MSI Z390 MPG Carbon Pro
I7-9700k
MSI RTX 2070 SUPER ARMOR OC
H100I PRO RGB
Fractal Design Meshify C

Reused parts;
Corsair CX500M
Crucial Ballistix sport DDR4-2400
Kingston Now! 120GB SSD
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
SanDisk Ultra 3D 960TB SSD

As per title; it usually freezes on the MSI motherboard logo but it has got to the windows login screen a couple of times (out of about 10000...)

When I opened the board the M2 shroud screw was loose within the motherboard wrapper... Could this have some damage?

The ezDebug LEDs light up CPU, RAM, VGA and Boot as expected, the MSI logo appears, the swirly dots then show up and it freezes.

I can boot into the BIOS menu.

I've tried every single step in the "PC won't POST sticky", with no luck.
I've been through about 20 posts on here and no one seems to post their resolution.... Of the few that did I've had a go, like setting system date and time but that hasn't helped either - I can't even boot into installation media to try and use a fresh copy of Windows on one of my SSDs, it freezes on a black screen.

I was abit worried about the PSU as;
A. It doesn't have the extra power for the CPU port
B. The estimated wattage is 431

So I have bought a new RM750X however I'm certain the PSU isn't the issue as I have it in bread board setup with as minimal as possible peripherals plugged in.

Do we reckon it's the MOBO? Is my only option to replace it? Should I get a refund from the retailer or contact MSI for a replacement? Not really sure how this all works.

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited:

RDKells

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
I have ordered an RMX 750, will come tomorrow.

Bit of an update; I moved my old system into my new case and used the H100i and RTX 2070.

All working as expected.

So the Z390 and the i7 9700k are the remaining culprits.

Will ring MSI tomorrow to see what they suggest.

RDKells

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Update:
According to the MSI website you can't RMA components, they have to be returned to seller? Seems odd since they offer warranty?
Have just requested a return of the mobo and after a bit more analysis I bought a Gigabyte auros pro as a replacement, which will be here tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow my new system will be up and running and the issue wasn't the CPU!

RDKells

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Resolution;
Motherboard returned, replaced with a Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro.

This one didn't have the M2 cover screw rolling around in the MOBO bag which was a good start.

After some research there's a lot of posts about MSI mobos failing and there's a few people on here that actively avoid them simply because a lot of the "PC won't boot" threads they see are down to MSI motherboards, according to some bigwigs in the OC game, the components used in certain Gigabyte boards are top notch and they haven't disappointed.