Question New build freezes on the motherboard splash screen whenever the M.2 SSD is installed.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3FGQcq

I finished my new build yesterday, and when I went to boot up, the system couldn't get past the motherboard splash screen. I troubleshooted for hours. Finally I decided to remove the M.2 SSD, and the system made it past the splash screen and into the BIOS. I reinstalled the SSD, and sure enough, it froze on the splash screen. I tried the second M.2 slot, and nothing.

My first thought was that I had received a dead drive. I proceeded to plug in the drive to my old system to confirm my suspicion, but after getting past an American Megatrends error screen, my old system booted into the BIOS, and the M.2 drive was detected.

So it's not the drive? Is the problem the M.2 slots on my new motherboard? Is there a compatibility issues somewhere, something I'm just not thinking of?

Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

_danielpwils01

Reputable
Feb 18, 2017
So Windows is installed on the NVME. This is from your old system? If so that's the issue. You need to re-load for the new pc.

No, it's a brand new system with a brand new drive. I tried to use the new M.2 on my old rig to see if it worked, which it did. There is nothing on the M.2 drive, hasn't been formatted, no partitions, etc.

TRENDING THREADS