New build freezes with terrible buzzing sound

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
So i just decided it was time to upgrade my core 2 quad and i dished out some money to buy an AMD Fx 8320 (8 cores @3.5ghz) and paired it with an ASUS m5A99fx pro R2.0 mobo. So i swapped in a 1tb hard drive from another computer as well as 10 gigs of ram from that, wired it all up to the case and my antec 450watt PSU connected my gtx 460 back to the board and turned it on. i installed the OS no problem ran it for maybe 2 hours and installed my wireless drivers. at this point i got online and installed my GPU drivers. As i was installing AVG the computer made a terrible buzzing sound, like a spastic stuttering loop of the audio playing at the moment of freeze. i did not get a blue screen and while i tried to turn the computer on it would freeze again and again. finally i noticed it freezed upon trying to delete the AVG shortcut on the desktop. so i booted into safe mode and deleted the program files as well as told MSconfig to stop starting AVG. for then next two hours i had no issues UNTIL, i tried to run a windows system score. 3/4 of the way through this i noticed my cursor dissapeared. and once again a nonresponsive freeze. i recreated it one more time while accessing a folder on my old hard drive inserted into one of the quick swap drives in my obsidian 800D case.

What do you think could be the problem/s the only difference to my old setup is the CPU, mobo, ram, and the new HD from a computer someone donated to me.

Oh, i am writing this from the computer i am having issues with, it has been up for the last 30 minutes with no problems however i know it is simply a matter of time

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
Here is the thing though, i just ran Arma 2 operation arrowhead on very high and had no issues, however doing a simple task froze it several times earlier. If the PSU wasnt giving enough power wouldn't it freeze in game rather than under nearly no load?

undercovernerd6

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
The sound usual of intense freezing is usually linked to ;

Wrong or corrupt graphics drivers.
Thermal limits and cpu gpu malfunction
Inadequate power supply to either the cpu or gpu.
A cable or a screw in wrong or power being diverted incorrectly
The last thing is windows updates.

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

double checked the nvidia drivers and even had the website autodetect in case i had messed up, cpu is running @ 40c or 104 Fahrenheit, mobo is @ 90 fahrenheit, as far as the other things go that you mentioned, i will have to look, but everything is functioning normally otherwise. so i doubt a cable is in the wrong place. i can run windows update now. i may also note that the computer has not frozen in the last 2.5 hours of use. perhaps whatever was wrong is related to accessing the 1.5 terabyte drive that is in one of the quick swap bays.

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
So the windows excperience index causes it to freeze on command. It assessed the graphics performance no problem. But when it was about halfway through assessing CPU performance, it froze. It freezes in the same spot each time. I hope this helps indicate the problem

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
so i have run several tests including the windows memory diagnostic and am currently running a furmark burn in 27 minutes in @80c for my gtx460 temps, i do not know why this is hapenning, there was some lint on the thermal compound but i dont think the Cpu is overheating as it stays around 43 celcius, could the ram be bad even though the diagnostic says otherwise? also could the PSU be the culprit even though i was able to play an extremely graphics intensive game with no issue. also why does it crash every time i try and use the windows rating tool durring the "assessing cpu performance" section

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

Alright, it is also freezing 100% of the time while running a SFC /scannow (at around 40%) and when i am trying to do a windows update. are these also power hungry events?

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
OK so the problem is solved, it turns out some windows files were totally corrupted, as well as the fact that the chipset drivers were not installed, a fresh os install followed by a chipset driver install and finally windows update and gpu driver fixed the issue. thank you for your suggestions though!

daltar08

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
OK so the problem is solved, it turns out some windows files were totally corrupted, as well as the fact that the chipset drivers were not installed, a fresh os install followed by a chipset driver install and finally windows update and gpu driver fixed the issue. thank you for your suggestions though!

TRENDING THREADS