New Build Freezing Constantly

cooper1997b

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
I recently went through the process of building my first PC. However, after installing windows, it has begun frequently freezing. It sometimes takes about one minute, sometimes a few seconds, and the issue is present in BIOS as well. It never fails to do so.

I've tested my RAM and PSU, but my troubleshooting capability is pretty limited since I only have an average of 20-30 seconds to actually attempt anything.

To be perfectly clear, the issue was not present prior to the install of windows, as I spent a great deal of time both in BIOS and just having it running. Any help would be appreciated!

Specs:
MSI 970
AMD FX-6300 6 core
Muskin 1tb SSD
EVGA Supernova 750
Corsair 8gb (There are four of these, I've tested all of them individually)
GTX Titan 12gb

Solution
It should be stable with an FX-6300; it doesn't draw enough power to cause VRM issues. You have good components and reinstalling Windows is not the root cause of the issue if it also occurs while in the BIOS. There are a few possibilities; could you use a different GPU for testing purposes? Have you tested outside of the case to ensure nothing is shorting out?
Using a motherboard that doesn't support a 220W CPU can cause weird issues. Slow down the frequency to 4 GHZ to decrease power draw, but the VRM may now have issues because you made it work so hard. You could buy a motherboard that fully supports that CPU, but they are expensive. Why did you get a 220W CPU with a motherboard that can't support it?

Edit: Why a new build based on older technology when an AMD Ryzen or a current Intel build would have been much better?

cooper1997b

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Whoops, sorry, it's actually the FX-6300 6 core. I was going over an older parts list I'd made and accidentally included it instead of what I'm using.

In answer to your question, I was one somewhat of a budget so I had to shop around and build around what was currently available at my price range.

It should be stable with an FX-6300; it doesn't draw enough power to cause VRM issues. You have good components and reinstalling Windows is not the root cause of the issue if it also occurs while in the BIOS. There are a few possibilities; could you use a different GPU for testing purposes? Have you tested outside of the case to ensure nothing is shorting out?

Solution