[SOLVED] New Build - Fresh Windows Install freezing

Feb 29, 2020
Hi everyone!

I just built a new PC last night and I cannot for the life of me get Windows 10 64 bit to install.

PC components:

Intel i7 9700k
Asus STRIX 2080TI
MSI z390 gaming pro carbon
Corsair lpx 3200mhz 32 GB ram
1tb WD nvme ssd

I've tried multiple SSDs thinking that was the issue, but the windows install freezes at various points, before install and during install. The highest I've gotten to is 58% before it freezes.

Sometimes the system hangs before I can even get the windows installation screen to come up.

I'm using the Windows Media Creation tool with a Sandisk 64gb usb 3.0 flash drive.

Change BIOS Boot setting:
Boot Mode Select [LEGACY+UEFI] to [UEFI]

Download latest Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.
Go to Rufus and use your USB flash drive and the ISO file to make bootable UEFI installation media for Windows 10.
Rufus
Insert flash drive and reboot. You have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions on the M.2 drive at the beginning of the installation if there is already a partition on it.

Feb 29, 2020
Change BIOS Boot setting:
Boot Mode Select [LEGACY+UEFI] to [UEFI]

Download latest Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.
Go to Rufus and use your USB flash drive and the ISO file to make bootable UEFI installation media for Windows 10.
Rufus
Insert flash drive and reboot. You have an opportunity to delete all existing partitions on the M.2 drive at the beginning of the installation if there is already a partition on it.

Thanks for replying! I just tried that and it froze at 69%, cursor and everything.

Feb 29, 2020
Download and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard. You probably have an R0 stepping CPU and you need a later BIOS.

I think you need to have version 7B17v15 or later BIOS.

Same thing happened to me with my i5-9600k and my Gigabyte Z390 motherboard. Downloading and installing the latest BIOS did the trick.

Intel's R0 Stepping 9th Generation CPUs

Hey, thank you so much for your post!

I flashed my bios and updated it and windows installed perfectly. This fixed my problem.

Thanks again!

Reactions: kbparker