New build from scratch with VERY specific needs

Asteria

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Hi, I'm getting a new rig. It'll be purely (100%) used for gaming, as I already have another rig for everything else.

I'll only be buying the computer case and everything inside it, as I already have the:
1. Monitor (1280x1024@75Hz, 5:4 ratio, 17" monitor) (Just 1 monitor),
2. Keyboard (USB),
3. Mouse (USB) &
4. Speakers (good quality ole stereo speakers from 15 years ago with traditional audio connectors).

I'll mostly be using the new rig for RPGs and MMORPGs with heavy graphics or content. Such as Skyrim with tons of mods (up to 2k resolution for texture packs), Black Desert Online, the upcoming Witcher 3, & Crysis 1/3 in solo mode. All at max settings without AA.

No multiplayer FPS or RTS games though, the pace for competitive gaming is too hectic for me. Not to mention that I don't want to change my monitor to 16:9, or get extra ones, just to increase my FOV for these two multiplayer genres which I don't care much about.

I also do not plan to SLI or CrossFire, nor do any OCing (CPU, RAM).

However, I do plan to:
1. Use this rig for as long as possible for gaming (7 years or more), without having to replace the CPU, M/B, PSU and Casing.
2. Replace the Graphics (for games 3 years later if the graphics can't run those games at max settings without AA), RAM (when they die) and HDD (with SSD after M.2 PCI-E tech is mature).
2. Buy the highest quality components that can be found right now, with the longest component lifetime.
3. Generate low to medium system heat without using water-cooling (Most component temperatures below 75 degrees Celsius).
4. Get the best graphics possible on my single 1280x1024@75Hz, 5:4 ratio, 17" monitor, excluding AA.
5. Future-proof for the next 7 years or more.

Here's my current planned build (with reasons for choosing each part):

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Refresh
1. Currently, fastest clock speeds out of the box, at 4.0GHz - 4.4Ghz per core.
2. For gaming, where multiple cores is less important than clock speed. This is already quad-core with 8 threads. Enough for DirectX 12 scaling.
3. Not considering AMD.

M/B: ASUS H97-PRO GAMER
1. Only considering H97 or Z97 chipset for latest tech; no OC or multiple graphic cards so H97.
2. I only trust Asus for quality, and this board has best capacitors among all 5 H97 M/Bs that Asus has.

Graphics: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 960 GTX 4GB VRAM
1. Best VRM cooling for graphics among all brands and builds for GTX 960 4GB.
2. Extra VRAM at 4GB needed for Skyrim modding.

RAM: Kingston DDR3 1600MHz 8GB (1x8GB) Ram KVR16N11/8 (Buying 2 sticks for total of 16 GB)
1. Kingston for quality only.
2. HyperX series not needed due to double the price, but not double the life.

HDD: WD Black WD1003FZEX 1TB SATA3/64MB HDD
1. WD for quality. 1TB is enough for me.
2. Should last more than 5 years, in case M.2 PCI-E tech for SSD is still crappy after 5 years.

PSU: Cooler Master V750 750W 80Plus Gold
1. For component lifetime, just decided on a reference from http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
2. 750W should be more than enough for my system, even with the most power-hungry graphics cards.

Casing: COOLER MASTER CM 690 III CMS-693-KWN1 USB3.0
1. Same airflow design as HAF series.
2. Has air filters on all intakes.
3. Looks good enough for me.

Basically, I am only unsure of two parts.
The graphics card and the RAM.

For graphics, I'm unsure of which one is needed for the best experience on my display, complete with support for the latest tech (like DirectX 12), and enough VRAM for VRAM hungry games like modded Skyrim. May consider:

Gigabyte G1 Gaming/MSI Gaming for GTX
960 4GB/
970 4GB/
980 4GB or

Sapphire VaporX TriX OC for R9
280 3GB/
280X 3/6GB/
290 4GB/
290X 4/8GB/
upcoming 390/
390X.

For RAM, mainly a decision between 1 stick of it or 2 sticks (8GB or 16 GB), for RAM hungry games (inclusive of games 3 years from now).

Anyone with answers? Waiting till June (when AMD and Intel release their new products) to buy.

Or better yet, anyone going to complain about how this is complete overkill (other than the graphics card) for a single monitor 1280x1024@75Hz setup & give me alternate recommendations that can last for 7 more years in gaming?

I don't necessarily agree with your analysis, but it's your money.

RAM 2 x 4 will give you 8GB now, and another 8GB later. If money is no object, then 2 x 8Gb now.

Heat is the enemy of all silicon, so I vote for NVidia at the moment. To meet your apparent needs, I think you need more than a 960. I don't think that a 1280 x 1024 will do for the next many years. This is 2015, look back as 2008. Would you be satisfied with that graphics??? I play RPGs and no FPS and have just jumped forward 7 years, up to 1080p. I would not want to build a system like yours without being able to do 1080p at least. How long do you think before your screen shape is no longer supported by games?? 970 would be my minimum.

If you REALLY mean what you say, then you will probably need to replace your GPU halfway through. (Again, look back to 2011 and see how Witcher 3 would run on that)

Complete overkill, no. That's what you have to do to have the best chance of getting your 7 years. I would do something different.