New build, get 8700k or wait for new i7?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Hi all, looking for some opinions here.

I am about to start buying parts for a new build to replace my 5930k that served me dang well but unfortunately seems to be dying.

anyway, I want to know if the 8700k will be sufficient for my needs. I'll be gaming on a 3440x1440p @ 120hz monitor. Eventually I may switch to a 4k 120hz monitor once those drop in price a bit. Will this cpu be able to handle that?

The main reason I am planning on buying the 8700k first is because I remeber when I bought the 5930k when it first dropped. All of the motherboards were horrible at launch and I had to RMA at least 2 before I finally got a working one. For now I can get a good, thoroughly reviewed cpu and motherboard.

Opinions? Do you think that's the correct route to go?

Solution
Hard to say without seeing hard numbers. However, there doesn't appear to be an equivalent CPU to the i7-8700k in the 9000 series stack so far. Either 8c/16t or 8c/8t, so 6c/12t might prove to be superior to the i7-9700k in titles that heavily support multi-threading. But those 8 physical cores would probably do much better on older titles where you are likely to see those very high frame rates.

As for the motherboards, I've not had any real issues buying at launch on the consumer boards. Keep in mind that this isn't exactly all new. No groundbreaking features have been introduced since Skylake, so I would say this is likely to be the most mature boards coming out.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say without seeing hard numbers. However, there doesn't appear to be an equivalent CPU to the i7-8700k in the 9000 series stack so far. Either 8c/16t or 8c/8t, so 6c/12t might prove to be superior to the i7-9700k in titles that heavily support multi-threading. But those 8 physical cores would probably do much better on older titles where you are likely to see those very high frame rates.

As for the motherboards, I've not had any real issues buying at launch on the consumer boards. Keep in mind that this isn't exactly all new. No groundbreaking features have been introduced since Skylake, so I would say this is likely to be the most mature boards coming out.

Solution
If you are going to be upgrading to a new setup, then I would wait for the 9800K and 9900K as it is not too far away from launch. The numbers so far on the very few pre launch articles look very good indeed and bottom line the 8 core 16 thread stock with solder instead of TIM 5GHz 9900K will be a monster CPU and well worth waiting it out as to not suffer buyers remorse...I know I would!!! just wait as apparently we will have the new CPU's in October...

What do you mean by dying in regards to your 5930k? Is it your motherboard, have you tested your memory, are the cpu or motherboard still under warranty? The 8700k is a good chip, and it should handle your needs just fine.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I like your "I want to know if the 8700k will be sufficient for my needs". The 8700k is the best gaming processor currently on the market. Nothing that intel might throw on the market this year will change that much. You might get a few Mhz more and maybe a cooler running processor, but that all will come with extra cost. I think the price of the 8700k is pretty ok now (I still paid $400, when i got mine). It is great processor. I was able to OC it stable to 4.8MHz on all 6 cores with air cooler (I have the DarkRockPro3). Anyway, no need to wait in my opinion. As long Intel is not switching to a smaller manufacturing process (no hopes to happen soon), the 8700k will be top notch.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I've had it overclocked to 4.2ghz constant for almost 3 years now. Did awesome. About 2 months ago it started bluescreening pretty frequently saying the overclock failed when I went to boot back up. Once I reset the cpu to clock speeds/voltage it stopped blue-screening but randomly during use it will freeze up or hang for a second or two. It's not that often but enough to notice it. I love my 5930k, it was and still is a beast. But I figure it's time to upgrade with all this great stuff coming out this year.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Yeah I know, it's silly haha. The main reason I was concerned is just because I've always used 60hz monitors. I have a 4k 60hz monitor right now that I use and wanted to upgrade (well, sort of upgrade) to a QWHD 120hz and I heard that cpu can be a bottleneck when it comes to higher refresh rates. I just wanted to make sure that won't be an issue with the new monitor I get, as well as if some good 4k 144hz monitors come out in a year or so.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
What is more important for you? Using best possible graphics settings and quality with a little FPS sacrifice or is it more important for you to reach the 120fps for your 120hz monitor, but with some sacrifice of graphics quality?

By the way, I think QWHD is the way to go right now. It's the perfect sweet spot for gaming right now. You get great optics, best graphics settings with high fps. But why don't you want to go with a 144hz monitor?

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I don't think there are any 3440x1440p monitors right now. 100hz is as high as they go with the option to overclock them to 120hz. I'd like to try one of the ultra wide curves. Also, to answer your question, I want both of those. I'm hoping with an rtx 2080ti I should be able to achieve 120hz all the good stuff on @ 3440x1440p.