Question New build. Getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSOD within minutes of starting any game. No Overclock/XMP. Need help pinning down the cause.

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Dumps: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V3LAZDkV7UTJmXkTvON34y8TSu9yTrru?usp=sharing

TLDR on bottom.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mt9PDq

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z590M GAMING EDGE WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
*Storage: Samsung PM961 256 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
**Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
*Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 2.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive
**Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive
**Video Card: Zotac MINI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Case: MSI MPG GUNGNIR 110R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Deepcool DQ750-M-V2L 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VX228H 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Asus VX228H 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz Monitor

* - Reused from my completely dead Lenovo Legion Y520
** - Reused from my previous desktop build that was initially completed back in 2016

This is a brand new build, brand new Windows 11 install. As of this posting I have completed it earlier this week. I initially conceived it last year as a simple CPU upgrade to my previous, but I've since changed my mind and decided to change more than that, until it might as well be an entire new build with the only significant things reused are the GPU and data storage devices.

As you can see from the asterisks in the part list, I reused some several drives, some from a Lenovo Legion Y520 whose motherboard completely ceased function on me out of the blue last year, and my first build which I had completed. I also reused the GPU from my previous build. None of these components themselves have had any particular problems prior to being transferred over to this one.

The BSOD only occurs when actively playing a game, it has never gone more than roughly 60 minutes without one. As of right now, it has never happened outside of it. When it does happen, it's out of nowhere, there doesn't seem to be a consistent reproduction outside of simply playing games, and when it does there doesn't seem to be any warning symptoms that it's about to happen. It never seems to occur on idle or when doing anything that doesn't involve graphics; in fact I'm posting this from the build right now. As for the unexpected reboots, I'll describe them later below but they only occur on my old Win10 install on the OS drive from my old build.

After 3 Blue Screens within minutes of starting Genshin, it figured it was time for troubleshooting. Initial thought was on GPU.

• Installed GEForce experience, updated to latest driver.
  • Running Windows Memory Diagnostic (mdsched.exe) - No Errors reported. Event viewer screenshot.
  • I tried running something different, to make sure it’s not specific to a game. I picked the Hitman 3 Benchmark; Both Dubai and Dartmoor completed with no problems. I then ran Dartmoor again with it set to loop endlessly, same BSOD within the first minute.
  • I do not have any overclocking or XMP settings enabled in BIOS, at least to my knowledge (everything is left to their default values). I tried enabling the “XMP Profile 1” under the Game Boost in BIOS once on a whim and got the same BSOD within a few minutes in Genshin. Turned it off immediately afterwards.
  • Decided to test if it is GPU-related. Unplugged secondary monitor from GPU. From here on, using only one monitor. Enabled the “IGD” Multimonitor setting in order to enable usage of the CPU’s integrated graphics. Unplugged primary monitor from GPU, Plugged it into motherboard. For some reason this didn’t work, I still got no video output when plugging the monitor into the motherboard. I then went back and changed initiate graphic adapter setting from “PEG” to “IGD”, this worked. I then ran the Hitman 3 benchmark again. Selected the iGPU in the launcher settings, turned all settings to as high as they go, set the benchmark to loop endless. I let the bench ran for ~25 minutes. The FPS never left the single digits (as expected), but no BSOD. Played Genshin, BSOD within the first 10 minutes.
  • I decided to completely remove the GPU to rule it out completely, as well as any potential problems due to insufficient power. Played Genshin on the integrated graphics, lowest video settings. Same BSOD within 10 minutes. Everything from here to when I tried the Windows install from my old build has been done with GPU removed.
  • Downloaded and ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool. All tests passed. Pastebin log.
  • CrystalDiskInfo shows Good status in all drives.
  • Ran “chkdsk” in WhoCrashed Tools section. No problems found. Screenshot.

At this point I broke out the BSOD Analysis tools:

• WhoCrashed identifies the offending driver as “GenuineIntel.sys” in all minidump files. Screenshot.
  • BlueScreenView, on the other hand, identifies “PSHED.DLL” and “ntoskrnl.exe” as offenders in all minidump files. Screenshot.

Regarding the two above, I have no idea what the offending files are or what actions to take regarding them, or if the diagnoses are even accurate.

• * Downloaded WinDGP, ran !analyze -v on latest dmp file. I'm a total noob to using this tool so if there's any further analysis to do with this then I don't konw how to do it. Pastebin of output. No idea how to read it, hopefully it helps to those that do.

At this point, I decided to try the OCCT stress testing tools to pin down whether or not extended load on the CPU was causing it.

• Tried the CPU first, default settings. It ran the entire hour with no problems. CPU temperature was at most 65 C. Screenshot
  • Tried the memory test second, default settings. Also ran the entire hour with no problems. Screenshot
  • Finally tried the monitoring test while playing a game. Blue screen after 15 minutes, when opening again afterward the "last known status" window shows that no problems had occurred.

At this point I decided to try parts from my old build.
  • I started with RAM. Removed both RAM sticks and swapped them out with a pair of 8x2 Corsair Vengeance LPX, used on my old build for 6 years with no notable problems related to them. Still same BSOD after less than 30 minutes in game.
  • Next I decided to try taking the SSD from my old build and running the Windows 10 install on it. To do this, I did the following:
  • Completely removed the M.2 SSD with the Win11 install.
    • Completely removed the Seagate drive and put the Toshiba SSD driv6e with the Windows install in its place.
    • Reset BIOS settings to default for good measure, then turned off UEFI in the BIOS. For whatever reason this requires that a GPU is installed, so I reinstalled the aformentioned one.
    • Unfortunately the MOBO is incompatible with the CPU from my old build (i5-6500), so I cannot try that.
    • PSU would be pretty inconvenient to try as it involves unplugging everything out of both builds, so I will leave it until all other possible options are exhausted
Everything from now on is with GPU reinstalled, and on a known good Windows 10 install on a known good SSD.

Booted into Windows just fine. Proceeded to play Warframe. No problems for nearly an hour. Then as a mission was loading, black screen, automatic reboot. No BSOD, no errors or warnings prior or afterwards. Booted back into Windows, opened up the downloaded for WhoCrashed to see if it found anything. Then soon after it completed, another black screen into reboot. No game wasn't even running at that time. Less than 30 seconds of logging into Windows again, with nothing open on the desktop, another reboot. Windows recovery boot kicks in. I just clicked continue, hoping the crashes would stop. Thankfully it did.

Logged in, opened up WhoCrashed. It comes back with nothing. EventViewer screenshot. Called it a night and slept.

The next day, (now earlier today from the time I posted this):

• Tried Halo MCC. Loaded up H4 forge, black screen into reboot 5 minutes in.
  • Decided to try a more intense stress test, Prime95. Used the default torture test settings (mixed testing, etc). CPU temperatures got to 90-95C, which is considerably hot, and a lot more than when running the games I played. Despite this, no errors or warnings. Ran for 35 minutes before stopping as I didn't wish to put more thermal wear than necessary to rule it out. Pastebin of results.txt.

Troubleshooting Summary (TLDR):

• - RAM: Ruled out, still occurs when using known good RAM from previous build
  • - GPU: Ruled out, still occurs with it completely removed and using integrated graphics
  • - Bad OS Drive / Bad Windows install - Ruled out, Changed to a known good drive with a known good Windows install from a previous build, problem still occurs as unexpected random reboots instead of BSODs
  • - CPU: Unlikely, Intel diagnosis test came back fine and both Prime95 and OCCT pushed it far more than games did with no problems.
  • - Overheating / Bad Cooler: Unlikely, Prime95 put the CPU at elevated temperatures far above what games did with no problems
  • - PSU: Still a suspect. I plan to try swapping it with a known good PSU from a previous build which will definitively determine it, but leaving it for last since it's very time consuming. If you have any info on an easier method of testing this please do share.
  • - MOBO: Still a suspect, but I don't know of any testing methods. If you have any info on testing this please do share.

Colif

Win 11 Master
All WHEA errors always show same files, you really lucky if it actually shows a driver name.
PSHED.dll - Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver is one of the normal ones.
Or you get ntoskrnl

Can you remove all the drives except C, just to see if it helps or to reduce amount of hardware it might be. WHEA errors can be caused by all sorts of things, any hardware, sometimes software, overclocking (software and physical), heat, BIOS.

Conversion of Dumps

Results - Click run as fiddle to see report (mostly for me)

File: 120622-5359-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 18:19:22)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)]
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 42 Sec(s)

File: 120622-5328-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 19:33:53)
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 14 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File: 120522-6765-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 10:59:20)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 12 Min(s), and 40 Sec(s)

File: 120522-6109-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 10:45:33)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 15 Sec(s)

File: 120522-6031-01.dmp (Dec 6 2022 - 17:18:33)
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: GenshinImpact.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 38 Sec(s)

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed. << system clearly sees you changing it but my report only shows 1 set.

processes mentioned are victims

Bad OS Drive / Bad Windows install - Ruled out, Changed to a known good drive with a known good Windows install from a previous build, problem still occurs as unexpected random reboots instead of BSODs
previous build being same hardware or different? If different hardware, that may not be conclusive as swapping an install into new hardware comes with its own chances of errors.

updating bios could help, your BIOS appears to be 7C79v17 which isn't listed on the website, I expect it was a beta. There are 4 new ones since then - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z490-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support

first bugcheck (most current first)
unknown cpu error
notes:
BIOS Version 1.70
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 04/19/2021
Product Name MS-7C79
Version 1.0
Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C79)
Socket Designation U3E1
Processor Type Central Processor
Processor Family c6h - Intel Pentium M processor
Processor Manufacturer Intel(R) Corporation
Processor ID 55060a00fffbebbf
Processor Version Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz
Processor Voltage 8bh - 1.1V
External Clock 100MHz
Max Speed 8300MHz
Current Speed 3762MHz

*Unusual CPU clock speed slight underclock might indicate overheated cpu

the debugger indicates that the !errrec data is not filled out correctly.
the status bits indicate:
00010001 00001010
CorrectedErrorCount =1
ActionRequired
ErrorEnabled
StatusOverFlow

basically the cpu reported a internal error statusoverflow

I would be looking for overheating.

* please confirm the motherboard version *
debug dump of the versions does not match your description.
(just in case the motherboard was flashed with the wrong bios version)
bios for wrong motherboard may also cause a problem like this.
update the bios for first fix attempt

you might also go into bios and set the cpu to run at a single speed. ie turn off cpu functions that change the CPU speed. I am thinking the underclocking values might be incorrect and causing the internal cpu overflow.

BIOS update is the most likely fix. Reported error is internal to the CPU. I would focus on the strange underclocking and find out why it is getting a underclock. cpu has thermal monitoring protection that will underclock if sensor reads too hot.
Intel Core i710700K Processor 16M Cache up to 5.10 GHz Product Specifications
(guess you should also make sure you have the intel chipset updates installed)
-------
notes:
usbvideo.sys being loaded, do you know why?
screen capture software ?
(you might disable usbvideo and usbaudio driver to take a load off of the GPU)

game driver?:
mhyprot3.sys Tue Aug 30 21:51:22 2022

looks like you have a generic microsoft driver install. you might install the intel chipset drivers from intel Download Intel Drivers and Software

Last edited:

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Okay, will try BIOS update first. Never thought of that... I actually never performed any BIOS update at all on my old 2016 build, haha.
The current version is E7C79IMS.170
Build date is 04/19/2021

Will try 7C79v1C update first.

previous build being same hardware or different? If different hardware, that may not be conclusive as swapping an install into new hardware comes with its own chances of errors.

It was on different hardware. I first completed it in 2016. Specs if you're interested: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rGGQHz
Looking back, yeah this isn't very smart, honestly I was a little desperate trying random stuff.

notes:
usbvideo.sys being loaded, do you know why?
screen capture software ?

game driver?:
mhyprot3.sys Tue Aug 30 21:51:22 2022
My only guess is the built in recording features in GeForce Experience. I disabled the overlay as soon as I installed it as I prefer OBS for recording stuff; I found the GeForce overlay to be pretty buggy over the years.

How does one disable those? I've never messed with those before.

As for that game driver, no clue.

(you might disable usbvideo and usbaudio driver to take a load off of the GPU)

How does one do that? I've never messed with those before.

I'll try playing after BIOS update, see if it was just that alone. If problem persists I'll go back to the Win11 install on my SSD, disconnect all other drives and install updated chipset drivers. I doubt overheating is the root cause but I'll monitor temps more closely throughout this anyway.

Is the Intel Driver Support Assistant good for updating stuff or should it be done manually?

I'll report back, fingers crossed it was that simple. Thanks for giving me a direction to head in, hopefully ends up being the right one.

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
So, updated BIOS, same BSOD again within about 15 minutes ingame. Dump

Screenshot of the last known status on OCCT. As yo ucan see CPU was in the low 40s at time of BSOD, so the cause shouldn't be overheating related at all.

Shut down, disconnected power and SATA for all drives except for NVME. BSOD again after 30 mins in game. Dump
OCCT Screenshot

Moved on to the chipset drivers. After I installed the Intel Driver Support Assistant (then reinstalled it because apparently there's a bug where it will do nothing but complain that there's no config folder) the only driver updates that it found were those for Wifi and Bluetooth. I went ahead and installed them but I doubt they would help alleviate the problem. Screenshot

I pulled up the download page for that specific CPU but I do not see anything that looks like a chipset driver on it, just drivers for what seems like the integrated graphics. Google also shows what looks like chipset driver downloads on other sites but I don't know if they're actually good let alone trustworthy. Please excuse me, I've never done this before, not even on my old build.

Where to go from here?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - click run as Fiddle to read

File: je9bce.dmp (Dec 8 2022 - 14:48:12)
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: GenshinImpact.)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File: zx6be9.dmp (Dec 8 2022 - 19:43:01)
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 28 Sec(s)

john may be able see more in it than I can.

Colif

Win 11 Master
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z590M GAMING EDGE WIFI Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
*Storage: Samsung PM961 256 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
**Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
*Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 2.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive
**Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM Internal Hard Drive
**Video Card: Zotac MINI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Deepcool DQ750-M-V2L 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

GPU - Still gets BSOD if GPU not in pc
CPU - Passes IPDT
ssd - used old install from old PC without errors but oddities, that is normal for using old installs on new builds (the oddities I mean). Have you tried clean installing on this drive? What drive is the game on?
MB - No real tests for MB - you essentially test everything else and use a process of elimination.
PSU - Does it crash at idle or seemingly only in Genshin Impact?

could run Prime 95, it could be a rounding error. It will run for 17 hours though, so run overnight
- https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/
it tests cpu, ram & psu.

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
GPU - Still gets BSOD if GPU not in pc
CPU - Passes IPDT
ssd - used old install from old PC without errors but oddities, that is normal for using old installs on new builds (the oddities I mean). Have you tried clean installing on this drive? What drive is the game on?
MB - No real tests for MB - you essentially test everything else and use a process of elimination.
PSU - Does it crash at idle or seemingly only in Genshin Impact?

could run Prime 95, it could be a rounding error. It will run for 17 hours though, so run overnight
- https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/prime95-download.html
Prime 95 Instructions - https://appuals.com/how-to-run-a-cpu-stress-test-using-prime95/
it tests cpu, ram & psu.

• I want to avoid doing anything like a clean install on that drive. My inital plan was to use the old PC as a media center / dedicated game server, I want to avoid the headache that comes with setting all that stuff back up again. I prefer that drive comes out of this problem with its Windows install and data intact.
  • I don't really have any other open drives to try another clean install on. If I absolutely had to, The next best is probably the MX500 since it just has game installs...
  • Initially all the games I tested were on the Crucial MX500. As part of trouble shooting I have since moved Genshin to the C Drive (the Samsung PM961) with did not affect the problem at all. As of this post it's the only game I have and using to test since all the other drives are currently disconnected.
  • I've never seen it BSOD in idle with nothing else going on. In fact I regularly leave it on, with no sleep with Firefox open on this page as well as a bunch of other tabs, overnight, and it's all still sitting there the next day.
  • The BSODs only occur in games (not just Genshin), I mentioned testing Hitman 3 and Halo MCC as well, and the problem is still the same in those games.
  • However I also forgot to mention that it also BSOD once with no game open, instead it was while playing a Twitch stream at source quality. I was actually away at the time so I didn't see any details, but I knew it did by the fact that I came back to see that it was as if I had just turned it on and a new dmp in the minidump folder.

I did mention in the OP that tried Prime95 already, for 35 minutes.

If you missed that I don't blame you, it's quite a text wall... I might just edit it to just list the important information up front instead having it be a story book... it might have less of a chance of scaring off people from helping as well...

If you meant to say try Prime95 again but this time let the torture test run in its entirety... I could do that... but I am concerned that the CPU constantly operating at 90-95 C for over 12 hours with no break is going to cause damage. Is that actually okay?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I want to avoid doing anything like a clean install on that drive. My inital plan was to use the old PC as a media center / dedicated game server, I want to avoid the headache that comes with setting all that stuff back up again. I prefer that drive comes out of this problem with its Windows install and data intact.
okay, was just an idea, Since it worked. But I understand reason.
Might want to buy a new drive that hasn't been used before and see if that fixes problem. WHEA errors can be any hardware, and software checks of drives aren't 100% reliable, they can't see physical problems.

Prime runs for 17 hours, 35 minutes might not be long enough.
I could do that... but I am concerned that the CPU constantly operating at 90-95 C for over 12 hours with no break is going to cause damage. Is that actually okay?

that temp seems high.

Airflow version or glass front?
https://www.msi.com/PC-Case/MPG-GUNGNIR-110R

What temps do you get normally?? nvm, i see oct...
sLVt2YF.png

i1xZExF.png

so heat isn't really reason for the crashes. Its probable the cause isn't rounding errors as that causes all sorts of different BSOD, not the same type each time.

Last edited:

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
  • The case is the Glass front one. I didn't even know there are other varients...
  • As of this moment, according to OCCT, with just a bunch of Firefox open, CPU is at 28 C. I remember in the BIOS screen, according to the CPU temp reader there it hovers around 30-33 C
    • Oh by the way, this is with both side panels on the case open. I left them that way since I unplugged all the drives. I got tired of constantly opening and closing them. Not sure if there would be a huge difference with them closed but I guess it's worth mentioning anyway.
    • Also in case you missed it earlier I mentioned that the CPU temp in games is between 40-60 C which should be normal for modern 3D games.
    • These are temp readings at time of BSOD: (Screenshot1, Screenshot2)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Oh by the way, this is with both side panels on the case open. I left them that way since I unplugged all the drives. I got tired of constantly opening and closing them. Not sure if there would be a huge difference with them closed but I guess it's worth mentioning anyway.
well, it could since with sides open it can breath way easier than it can with them on. But if it doesn't make any difference to your crash rate, it might not matter. If you still crash with sides open, its not likely to be heat

there isn't a lot of chance that middle fan on front is getting a lot of air. But it doesn't seem to make CPU warm. So I don't think its heat unless another part is also running hot.

try running this and look at more sensors
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-use-hwinfo-to-track-sensor-values-on-ryzen.3693704/ - it works for intel too

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
you might also go into bios and set the cpu to run at a single speed. ie turn off cpu functions that change the CPU speed. I am thinking the underclocking values might be incorrect and causing the internal cpu overflow.

Speaking of which, I guess I'll look into trying this next... the problem is, I don't know much about the advanced BIOS settings, and I don't want to change something wrong and create even more problems. One of you may have to hold my hand for this one... I can maybe take photos of the settings screens so that you can point out what exact settings should be changed.

If this doesn't work or if I never figure it out by tomorrow, then I'll go ahead with the PSU swap. It's starting to feel a bit overdue at this point. The PSU that powers my old 2016 build is an EVGA 500B.

Colif

Win 11 Master
One of you may have to hold my hand for this one... I can maybe take photos of the settings screens so that you can point out what exact settings should be changed.
not sure if John would agree but given his instructions, I wonder if reseting bios to default values would do same thing, and would be much easier for you to do. No need to touch any values then.

you confused me mentioning the other PSU, I thought it was in this one... for a while.

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Finally, a big development.
So, I locked the CPU speed, or at least I think I did... and well, it did something for sure. The BSODs have completely stopped... or at least, as of this post, Task Manager is showing 8 hours of uptime, and I have had Genshin open and unpaused almost the entire time.
(remember, it rarely makes it past 30 mins, and never makes it more than an hour).

Since I'm not sure what exactly I did, I'll list the exact changes I made to the BIOS settings. I hope it's an underclock.

Under the Overclock Menu, with the settings display mode to Expert:
  • CPU Ratio: Auto -> 30
    • Since the BSODs always seem to happen when doing things that call for the CPU's speed to be higher, I figured trying a lower speed than normal might help things
  • CPU Ratio Mode: Dynamic -> Fixed
  • Cooler Type: Water Cooler -> boxed
    • Probably not related to the problem but for some reason it would always reset to water cooler when restoring default settings, I obviously am not using one so I thought I should change that
This is an underclock right? Task Manager is showing the CPU's speed at 2.99 GHz, so I'm pretty sure it is.

(I forgot to take a picture of this screen, I'd go back, but I'm actually kind of scared restarting will ruin whatever is making the BSODs not happen)

Someone else also suggested some more aggressive CPU fan curve settings, so I followed them like so:
oiPUUA9.jpg

I'll leave it this overnight, with the game open and unpaused. Hopefully it stays...

With this, does anyone have any idea now as to what the problem could be?

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is an underclock

CPU Core Ratio, or multiplier, determines the speed of your CPU. The overall speed of your processor is calculated by multiplying the base clock speed (BCLK) by this ratio. For example, a BCLK of 100MHz multiplied by a CPU core ratio of 45 would result in a CPU speed of 4,500MHz, or 4.5GHz.
as per https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/bios-overclocking.html

BIOS manual - http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/Intel500BIOS.pdf

Page 29
CPU Ratio
Sets the CPU ratio that is used to determine CPU clock speed. This item only appears when CPU Ratio Apply Mode set to All Core.

proaxel

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
That is an underclock

as per https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/gaming/resources/bios-overclocking.html

BIOS manual - http://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/Intel500BIOS.pdf

Page 29
CPU Ratio
Sets the CPU ratio that is used to determine CPU clock speed. This item only appears when CPU Ratio Apply Mode set to All Core.

Okay, just making sure. The last time I messed with unfamiliar settings without confirming with someone else first, I got all the homework questions involving those settings wrong.

Anyway, came back, Task Manager now shows 19 hours, game is still open and perfectly fine. I think after posting this I'll now restart and return the CPU to its normal speed, which should just be a matter of changing the CPU ratio to 38. If no problem occurs for maybe 2 or 3 hours, I'll reconnect the rest of the storage drives and switch back to the original RAM. Will report back.