New Build, GPU fans spin and stop continuously

Mar 23, 2018
Working on installing Windows 10 on a new build; gpu is only sending an image half of the time on boot. When it doesn't send an image, the fans spin and stop continuously until I restart and try again (almost like they're trying to start but can't). Everything else is getting power (heatsink, chasis fans etc). The kicker is, when it does start and send an image, a few minutes into windows setup (via usb onto new ssd) the image flickers for a few seconds and goes black and I have to restart. When the display is working, there is a high pitched whining noise coming from the gpu. Build is as follows:

Motherboard: ASUS Z370-PLUS GAMING

CPU: Intel i5-8600k LGA1151

GPU (only piece from old pc): GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5

CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

PSU: Corsair CX650M

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

(attempted) OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

I have double checked all of my connections, tried different display cables...everything else looks fine except for this. Any help is appreciated.

Solution
The motherboard could be an issue for sure. More specifically, the PCIe slot could be bad. You could try using a different slot on the board if you have one and see if it works.

Also, just install Windows using the integrated graphics on your CPU. Download the latest Nvidia drivers and then place your GPU back in.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Did your 970 act this way in your old system at all?

If not, and it runs well in other systems, then it boils down to the PSU or motherboard. Do you have a spare PSU? Try using it in your new build and see if the problem persists. If it does then the mother is the problem. Again, test the GPU in another system to verify it works.

Mar 23, 2018
I never had a problem with the 970 in the last system. Could the motherboard really be the problem even though everything else is running fine?

Sorry for the inexperience.

Jwpanz

Honorable
The motherboard could be an issue for sure. More specifically, the PCIe slot could be bad. You could try using a different slot on the board if you have one and see if it works.

Also, just install Windows using the integrated graphics on your CPU. Download the latest Nvidia drivers and then place your GPU back in.

Solution