[SOLVED] New Build GPU Opinion

May 23, 2020
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on my new build, going with Ryzen 3600 on an X570 board (lower end ££). I will be using it mainly for gaming at 4K 60hz, however I may change my monitor setup in the next few years.

Was between a 2060 super and 2070 super. Money isn’t the issue between the cards however no point wasting an extra £100 if there’s no point.

Any help or opinion appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
If you're going to play at 4k, you wont get a CPU bottleneck regardless of which one you pick so you may as well go for a 2070S. If you plan to drop down to 1440p in the next few years even then you wont get a CPU bottleneck. I highly doubt you'll get a bottleneck even at 1080p BUT I do think that upcoming PS5 AAA titles will be using more Cores/Threads since they will be tailored to the PS5 which has 8c/16t.
I cannot say if the 3600 will be a bottleneck at 1080p but I would avoid 1080p with those cards anyway.
If you're going to play at 4k, you wont get a CPU bottleneck regardless of which one you pick so you may as well go for a 2070S. If you plan to drop down to 1440p in the next few years even then you wont get a CPU bottleneck. I highly doubt you'll get a bottleneck even at 1080p BUT I do think that upcoming PS5 AAA titles will be using more Cores/Threads since they will be tailored to the PS5 which has 8c/16t.
I cannot say if the 3600 will be a bottleneck at 1080p but I would avoid 1080p with those cards anyway.

Solution
May 23, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for the help, that’s a great point I didn’t consider, I think I could amend my build to compensate for getting a 3700X instead.
Cheers

If you want to play modern AAA games @ 4K 60fps without sacrificing too many game settings you need a beast of a gpu. Usually the 2080 Super & 2080Ti are recommended for 4K gaming. If you are willing to compromise a lot on settings you can go lower but manage your expectations. However only being a few months away from the 3000 series makes buying a 2080 Super/2080Ti really bad value as they will soon be equalled or surpassed for significantly less money. In my view now is a terrible time to be buying a high end gpu.

Also some of the cheap X570’s have worse VRM’s than a top end (yet cheaper) B450.

Hi,
Thanks for the help, that’s a great point I didn’t consider, I think I could amend my build to compensate for getting a 3700X instead.
Cheers
I will add to my previous suggestion. You can go for an 8c/16t CPU but most of those have clocks ranging from 3.6 to 4.4. The PS5 will have clocks of around 3.5. It's safe to say that even a 6c/12t CPU that has higher clocks than the PS5 will be able to play PS5 AAA titles without any bottleneck.