New Build: GPU Problem?

Kabobi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I just put this system together yesterday and Windows installation + BIOS update + driver installation went flawlessly.

Intel core i7 860
Gigabyte P55a-ud4p (rev 2)
crucial DDR3 1600 8gb RAM
HIS 5850 (@765 Mhz) [icoolerv edition]
Creative X-FI xtrememusic
Corsair 620W Modular PSU
Samsung F3 1TB
WD 320gb Caviar

However, I went to run the Windows Performance Index and during the test my monitor turned a blue color with vertical lines across it. The system wasn't frozen (capslock worked) but it just stayed there forcing me to manually reboot. The GPU/System fans were running at full power though.

I tried this again and this time it just brought up a black screen forcing me to reboot again. Both times it happened during the Geometry test.

I tried to run 3DMark vantage as well and the same thing happened during that test...

It also occurs when I'm watching a movie. Happened a few times while watching Avatar BluRay. The screen freezes with some color artifacts but the system itself is not frozen. Requires hard reboot regardless.

A few times it also occurred just in Windows (nothing of note running) but it recovered and Windows told me that the "AMD Driver stopped responding and has recovered". Though this message never came up in the other scenarios.

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is, but I think I may have to exchange the GPU... I"m currently running 10.6 catalyst drivers on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.

help please?