New Build - Hardlocking and Vertical Lines

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello All,

About 2 weeks ago, I created this thread, describing some of the problems I've been having with a new build.

The error is essentially that after an indeterminate time of gaming (everything else runs fine) the system will hardlock with a bunch of vertical lines and the sound begins to loop. This has happened in BC2, Football Manager, the Witcher, and Dawn of War 2

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=31&post=316906&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

My PC Details as described
OS - Win7 64 bit
PSU - Corsair 600W (now an Antex 750W Earthwatts)
Mobo - Gigabyte Z68X UD4 B3
Proc - i5 2500k
RAM - 8 GB G.Skill RipJaws 12800
GPU - HIS IceQ Radeon HD 6950 2GB
Cooling - two extra three inch case fans, currently set to high to address any possible temp situations
HD - Maxtor 500GB 7500rpm (boot and game drive), WD 2 TB Caviar Green (nothing on it yet)

Since that time, I've done the following to try and identify/fix the problem

- run Memtest86+ for eight to nine hours with no errors
- removed the 6950 and taken it to the store I purchased it from for testing. They were able to run 15 hours of CoD, plus other stress tests with no errors
- While the 6950 was gone, I put an old 8800GTS in to the system and encountered no errors
- upgraded the PSU from a 600W to a 750W

And yet the problem happened again over the weekend.

I am back to thinking that perhaps temperature is a problem, but as mentioned previously, this what I am seeing

Processor
Core 1 - 36
Core 2 - 39
Core 3 - 38
Core 4 - 40

GPU - 54 while playing Dawn of War 2 Retribution

I manually set the 6950 fan to 80%, and while it sounded like a jet taking off, I didn't get a crash in approx 45 minutes of gaming.

Are there any other suggestions that people may have? The HIS IceQ comes with a factory overclock, so I may try and remove that to stock clocks.

Thanks for the feedback!

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Man dude.. its a tough one, but my honest opinion is the graphics card...

the vertical lines kind of give it away. Now, different games can cause different problems on graphics cards. They said they ran CoD stress test on your graphics card, is this CoD 1? or like CoD:MW2 or BO? the GPU temp seems fine, could be bad RAM on the GPU. I dont know of any GPU Memory testing, see if you can google something that tests GPU memory.

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Thanks Rozz. I believe their testing notes said it was MW2, run on loop for 10 - 15 hours.

I'm going to continue with the increased fans, as well as increasing the fans I have in my case and see if that helps. The wife may not be happy at the volume, but it requires some testing

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Oy. I downloaded and installed Overdrive, and as soon as I did I encountered a System Service Exception. Now, every time I boot up my PC, it blue screens within a minute.

I downloaded BlueScreenView, and it's advising that the AODDriver2.sys is the cause of the error. In the infinite wisdom of Windows, I can't run Windows Uninstaller to remove the program.

Any ideas? Is the immediate error somehow tied to the lockup problems?

How do I go about removing Overdrive?

At this point, I think I might just reinstall Windows and clean everything out and start from scratch

rozz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
great.. epic fail on my part.. i broke his computer.... ROFL..

Try reinstalling that old geforce card.. get into windows, uninstall Overdrive.. I'm sorry buddy, figured a legit AMD software would NOT crash a perfectly good OS..

indy31

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

;)

No problems. I just reinstalled Windows with a clean format, and we'll see what happens.

lp231

Splendid
I think that is a switch you can flip on the card itself and it will set it back to defaults or is that only for the bios?

You can run Furmark to check if that HD6950 has any problems like artifacts, etc.
Download and run, enable stability test and let it run.
Do not enable Xtreme Buring mode or else it will fry it!