Question New build has MANY problems... Restart freeze, Sound stuttering

crossriver

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
Hi Tomshardware,

It has been 9 years since I last posted... My first PC is still running great but my new one is AWFUL!

I just finished building a new PC and decided to get Windows 10... but there are crazy bugs and issues I couldn’t fix... I tried a whole entire day.

The main issues are it never being able to restart, and the sound stutters and the pc lags.

Before I say any more, I will let you know that I have updated all my drivers via Driver Booster and DriverEasy, updated my BIOS. I have updated all my Windows updates too...

As for the sound problem... I have reinstalled my Focusrite 2i2 drivers and I ran LatencyMon and it detected lots and lots of lag in the background causing all this crazy stuttering... I tried everything on YouTube to fix it to no avail.

And the FOREVER RESTARTING situation... I turned off fast boot, tried all the commands in the cmd prompt that YouTubers recommended me... and it still keeps getting stuck on “Restarting” FOREVER and the little circle KEEEEEEEPS SPINNINGGGGG.

Help a guy out :(, I’m so upset that my new pc is underperforming and is buggy...

Windows 10

RX 580
Ryzen 3600
Asus Prime B450/A
8x2 RAM
500W Thermaltake

:(

Last edited:

crossriver

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
As I said and Ubuntu Live USB. Just use a USB Flash Drive to boot off of. Which lets you boot full into Ubuntu without installing it into the computer. It's also handy for troubleshooting. Along with booting into your own OS on other computers.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

I tried what you told me and Ubuntu seems to be running great! I have not yet tried to restart Ubuntu or anything but the little stuttering lag in the background is definitely gone. But when I play a video, it clicks twice like the Windows 10.

Press play > click click (speaker makes two click noises) and the Audio Interface lights up twice > Sound comes out

Ubuntu restarts perfectly, I tried going back on Windows 10 and it started lagging again. I'm suspecting that it has something to do with my USB Drivers because everytime I plug or unplug, it does the severe clicking thing. It's as if there's always something going on in the background.

What next?

Last edited:

crossriver

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
As I said and Ubuntu Live USB. Just use a USB Flash Drive to boot off of. Which lets you boot full into Ubuntu without installing it into the computer. It's also handy for troubleshooting. Along with booting into your own OS on other computers.

https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Thanks for just straight up wasting my time my guy, offering random advice and doesn't follow through. Seems biased and you just some sort of Ubuntu supporter or something.

Appreciate it

crossriver

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
Full reinstall Windows. DO NOT USE ANY SORT OF DRIVER UPDATER!!! Take the time to search and find the proper drivers for your PC.

Make sure RAM is installed in slots a2-b2. Enable XMP/D.O.C.P in BIOS.

That PSU shouldn't really be used for your setup.

Everything works good now, I reinstalled to a version 1903 of Windows. I read somewhere that my MOBO in particular has issues with the latest build. The resetting and stuttering isn't an issue anymore, but my sound card keeps clicking everytime I try to play sound.

What PSU should I be using?