New build hdd question.

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Hi guys I'm planning to build my new pc tonight and still have my old ssd for the OS.
Will this work with my new motherboard and cpu or not? I thought it would be a case of just plug it in and carry on as normal but a friend says otherwise and that I'll need a new fresh ssd and Windows key as everything will be still linked to my old system?!

Is this right? Can anyone confirm the easiest way to get around this? Without much additional cost?

Help.

Solution
I would just proceed with installation. It will prompt you if any conflicts arise. Just FYI, I had a similar situation a couple years back, during the installation it gave me a phone number to call for activation. A little odd, but the phone call was like 2 minutes and everything worked like a charm. Not sure if they are still doing the "phone activation", but in my experience the installation tool and MS backend are pretty smart. Give it a shot and see what happens. If it fails for whatever reason, you can just try again using a different method (i.e. fresh install vs repair etc.)

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Download the Media Creation Tool from microsoft website, follow the directions for making boot usb (very easy). Build your system then boot from the USB. During the installation process, there is an option for Repair this PC. That should probably work for you, and it should keep all your old files.

However, I'd recommend just going through the install process like on a new disk. It will most likely let you activate without having to buy a new license. You will have to reinstall all your programs, but this is a much cleaner way to do it.

TheGolfingPablo

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2013
Cheers dude. Yeh I'm gonna order a new 970 m.2 ssd for my build. I checked on the Microsoft website and it shows my old PC under 'devices'. Do I just click remove? And that should allow me to install w10 on the new ssd?
Sorry if this seems a stupid question..

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
I would just proceed with installation. It will prompt you if any conflicts arise. Just FYI, I had a similar situation a couple years back, during the installation it gave me a phone number to call for activation. A little odd, but the phone call was like 2 minutes and everything worked like a charm. Not sure if they are still doing the "phone activation", but in my experience the installation tool and MS backend are pretty smart. Give it a shot and see what happens. If it fails for whatever reason, you can just try again using a different method (i.e. fresh install vs repair etc.)

Solution