Jun 15, 2016
I recently built a new computer

I7 7700k @ Stock Frequency
16Gb of Gskill TridentZ RAM @3000Mhz
Samsung SSD 256GB and Seagate firecuda 2TB
Asus Z270e Motherboard
Asus Strix GTX 1080 Ti
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 cpu cooler

My cpu temps seem to be a bit high. My idle temps are 40 to 50 Celsius with an ambient temperature of 24 degrees celsius. In overwatch my cpu will run at around 75 to 83 Celsius and in games such as Black ops 3, I don't know how but it manages to use 95 percent usage, it hits around 85 to 90 degrees Celsius. I dint know if these temps are high or not.

I have replaced the pre applied thermal paste from the Thermaltake cooler and used Arctic Mx-4 as well have I tried a replacement cpu only to have the slightly higher idle temps.

Solution
Well it does seem the temps are a bit better then before. You would get better results if you where pushing cool air into the case through the radiator, instead of pushing warm air from inside the case out though it. Try that. Also when doing prime95 put "CpuSupportsAVX=0" in the local folder for the program. It will cut down on the massive heat buildup.

Some i7 7700k have temperature issues. It is possible you got one of them. Some people are delidding them, which means taking the outer shell off. I really do not know much on how to do it other then it will void your warranty and could ruin the chip.

There are tutorials on how to do this and there are kits available also.

Oh ya one more thing.. While not ideal, your temps are ok...

Quantum_3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
My case is the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass, my cooler is mounted on the top of the case pushing air up and my fan speeds can vary from 400 rpm when idle and 800 to 1000 rpm when gaming. I will note that I have run fans at a higher speed when idle to see if the temps would drop at all which they didn't.

Here are some pictures to give you an ides of a how i have the cooler installed, Sorry if they are bad pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/PJXEf
http://imgur.com/a/1CE44

urbancamper

Distinguished
Your fan rpm is way too low. This is what it should be. 800 ~ 1500 RPM at load.

Also if you have not already done this, put the fan that was on the top on the bottom. That case has a lot of obstruction, and since you are pushing, what I suspect to be warm air through the radiator instead of cool air in from the outside, You need all the help you can get. Remember glass heats up fast, so the inside of the case is going to be warmer then with Plexiglas.

Quantum_3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Okay I set the fans to full out run to see what the temps run at. So far in overwatch at about 65 to 70 percent usage my temps are around 69 to 75 Celsius.

I ran prime 95 for a bit and my temps stayed around 88 to 93 Celsius. In aida 64 my temps stay around 65 to 85 Celsius.

As for my idle temps they seem to take around five minutes to drop back down and even after that they seem to stay around 40 Celsius. Even when setting the fan speed to always run at 1500 rpm there is still no difference. I don't know if these temps are okay or not.

urbancamper

Distinguished
Well it does seem the temps are a bit better then before. You would get better results if you where pushing cool air into the case through the radiator, instead of pushing warm air from inside the case out though it. Try that. Also when doing prime95 put "CpuSupportsAVX=0" in the local folder for the program. It will cut down on the massive heat buildup.

Some i7 7700k have temperature issues. It is possible you got one of them. Some people are delidding them, which means taking the outer shell off. I really do not know much on how to do it other then it will void your warranty and could ruin the chip.

There are tutorials on how to do this and there are kits available also.

Oh ya one more thing.. While not ideal, your temps are ok.

Toms guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Solution

Quantum_3

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
Okay thanks, Ill try setting of the cooler that way and see what happens. I had heard about the 7700k having temperature problems, I noticed temperature jumps and had it replaced only to notice no difference with those jumps. As for delidding I was thinking of doing it, not myself though, I was actually looking at a website called Silicon lottery which sells overclocked and testes processors as well as offers a delidding service. The only problem is I've never heard of them and don't if it is trusted or not.