New Build - Help on my first build

FlyingSwami

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hi Everyone,

Butremor helped suggest the following build which I modified slightly. Can you let me know if this build looks good for my use:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pw8X

What I'm looking for in my build:
I'm looking for some help for a web design/gaming PC. My wife does a lot of web design, and I use the PC for more fun reasons (gaming/drawing). I generally keep my PCs for 4 years. I was hoping you could help find a PC that gives good performance now, with the ability to upgrade in the future.

Approximate Purchase Date: As early as this week but definitely by December

Budget Range: After Rebates; After Shipping $750-$1000 (I would be curious to see what different price points could get me)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web Design, digital art, Gaming, web browsing/streaming, media streaming (I use bluetooth to connect to sound system)

Are you buying a monitor: Yes (see detail below)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I am good with any reputable vendor. However, for more expensive parts, Amazon is preferred as I have a credit available there.

Parts Preferences: N/A

Overclocking: I would say no - from what I've read on this forum, it seems overclocking does not give a significant performance boost though it does significantly increase heat - requiring more fans/cooling - resulting in more noise.

SLI or Crossfire: No - would just upgrade to a better card

Your Monitor Resolution: Do not have one, but 27" monitor preferred, touch screen a plus (for windows 8 and drawing purposes) - I would be curious to see this priced out separately in case I need to budget an additional amount. As for resolution, not sure what would be best for a 27" monitor and my use; I would think 1920xXXX and perhaps IPS could be useful.

Additional Comments:
Software - Adobe CS6 suite, Games - new releases (I have not gamed in a while as my current laptop cannot keep up).
Aesthetics - I wanted to note that for the pc and monitor aesthetics are important. I don't want a case or tower that looks super gamer-y (no case lights, avoid windows if possible). I like the looks of the Lenovo A720 a lot, but it's overpriced and underpowered.
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/ [...] /a-series/
Quiet - I would be keeping this PC in the living room, so I want to make sure the PC will be quiet, even under a heavy load.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading:
My wife and I currently have two 2-4 year old laptops that struggle to keep up with the adobe suite or can't even play newer games. Our plan is to purchase a solid desktop for work/games, then replace our laptops with tablets (most likely android) while on the go.

Thanks for your help!

g-unit1111

Titan
For CS5/6 you will need a heftier CPU and less of a GPU. There's several things wrong with that build - mainly the tall Vengeance RAM is not good. That PSU is good but I do not recommend going with the trend of having less wattage - having more than you need is fine, having less will lead to system instability and failure - and will hurt your PC in the long run. Ivy Bridge builds are really finicky with some power supplies and you don't want to get the wrong one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1303.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-26 15:10 EST-0500)

This is way over budget but I included a really good CPU, 16GB of RAM with the option for 32GB, and the 660TI. I also included Windows 7 Pro in case you wanted to add more RAM.

I would still prefer the Samsung 830 as a SSD Boot drive. Samsung over the long term has established itself as one of the more stable and reliable companies around for SSD's. Although the OCZ vertex4 isn't bad either.

For a 27 inch display if you go looking for a IPS monitor thats good for Artistic use and Gaming I would go with ASUS. They have a really great Warranty program 3 year warranty. And you get a 2 way rapid response warranty which means they pay for your shipping and as you send yours in they send one back.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

Also if you are set on Corsair as well you can get there low profile ram and be okay. But also keep in mind if you aren't using a aftermarket cooler that's tall you were fine with your initial ram setup. Here is a link to a low profile 16 gig kit from corsair.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233280

g-unit1111

Titan
I would still prefer the Samsung 830 as a SSD Boot drive. Samsung over the long term has established itself as one of the more stable and reliable companies around for SSD's. Although the OCZ vertex4 isn't bad either.

Both drives are excellent choices - my work PC uses a Vertex 4 and my home PC uses a Samsung 830. You can't go wrong either way.

Also if you are set on Corsair as well you can get there low profile ram and be okay. But also keep in mind if you aren't using a aftermarket cooler that's tall you were fine with your initial ram setup. Here is a link to a low profile 16 gig kit from corsair.

I'm not a fan of tall RAM by any means, the heat sinks can be not fun to work with, and they don't do anything to help improve air flow.

I'm not a fan of tall RAM by any means, the heat sinks can be not fun to work with, and they don't do anything to help improve air flow.[/quotemsg]

It's really not that bad I have tall corsair vengeance sticks but I also use a h100 cooler. If its cheap I don't see the worry in it. But on the other hand if he were to get a aftermarket cooler then it would make a lot more sense to get a lower profile ram kit.

IMG_2000.jpg

Idk was more of a convenience thing for me. I wanted to mildly overclock but I didn't want to have a HUGE heatsink in my case like the ND-14 by Noctua. Or buy the trendy EVO from Cooler Master.

And honestly its personal preference I got the ram because the quality was good the brand was good and it worked. If you were aiming more for aesthetics wanted more LED lights flashing through a window and color meshing then yea I can see your opinion fitting. But for most its just personal taste.

Well something small and non space consuming leaves you with I'm sure little in terms of options. That's why I went with the h100 which isn't a bad cooler it goes toe to toe with the NH-D14. And I bought the h100 last year so I didn't get in on the sales. It looks like you got a steal of a deal though grats dude

FlyingSwami

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
How about this as a revised build, I pieced together input from all of you. Note, I'm a little afraid of AMD CPUs as I haven't had the best experience with my laptop with a quad-core processor.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pGCg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pGCg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pGCg/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1219.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-26 20:27 EST-0500)

well its usually not the chip that fails but the motherboard and the company how made the laptop. chips are pretty much the same in terms of reliability

for your build

-evga video cards are no better than other makers.
-the h2 is horrible compared to other silent case options like the R4 and the 550D
-windows 8? seriously?

FlyingSwami

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Haha,

- EVGA, I picked because at the time, it was the least expensive 1.01ghz clocked GTX 670. Seems like there are now other options about $10 less from Galaxy (is that brand ok?). The 670 would just be nice, but I know there is only about a 10-15% difference, but $100, separating the 660 TI and 670 with 1.01ghz clock.
- I just liked the looks of the H2. The 550D is $50 more; for the R4, are you referring to the Fractal Design R4 case http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HD3EAA/?tag=pcpapi-20 ?
- Windows 8 seems like it could be interesting haha. I was looking at the Acer Touch Screen you had suggested in another thread: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=77829&vpn=UM.VT2AA.001&manufacture=Acer

On an unrelated note, what are some low-cost ways to add bluetooth and wifi (I use bluetooth to connect to sound system)?

Thanks

g-unit1111

Titan

Get 2 x 8GB instead of 4 x 4GB and make sure to get Windows 8 Pro instead of Home Premium to lift the RAM ceiling. This way if you push your RAM to its' limit the option is there if you need it. Otherwise that looks good.

There is more of a difference with the 670 versus the 660ti then you know. The memory lane is higher on the 670 256 bit versus the 192 bit with the 660ti. Now I don't think the 660ti is necessarly a bad card but at the price point its not a very good option you can get a 670 now in the mid 300's which is a steal in my opinion I paid 400 for my gigabyte 670 OC
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125423

And I agree with going with a 2x 8gb setup using more power using up all the dimm slots. And at least with 2x 8gb memory sticks you leave yourself open for expansion in the future instead of maxing out your dimms.

FlyingSwami

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Due to discounts, I can get the following on I buy power for $1,220 with shipping, what do you think?

*BASE_PRICE: [+739]
CAS: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case [+38] (White Color)
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 3.40 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 [+70]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_CU1: $50 Visa Gift Card - Free Gift card on all Intel® Desktops and notebooks [+0]
FREEBIE_MB: GIGABYTE GC-WB300D Exclusive Bluetooth 4.0/WiFi PCIe Expansion Card [+0]
FREEBIE_VC: FREE Assassins Creed III Game Coupon [+0]
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 350 MB/s Write [-20] (Single Drive)
HDD2: 500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200 RPM HDD [+69] (Single Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: AZZA Multimedia USB Gaming Keyboard
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance [Free upgrade from 1600MHz Major Brand])
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE Z77-DS3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ IRST, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified)
MOUSE: AZZA Optical 1600dpi Gaming Mouse with Weight Adjustable Cartridge
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+20]
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+343] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
XWNC1: TP-LINK TL-WN727N 802.11b/g/n USB 150Mbps Wireless USB Adapter [+0]
_PRICE: (+1259)
_view_: {CC7F1B56-3646-4F7B-94EE-8458B96AF5B0}

clock speed is irrelevant since all GTX 670s and 660tis can clock that high

well you arent going to like the insides at all. the R4 has the best internals from what i have seen

heres this guys rant. and he is comparing the h2 to the r3 which doesnt have removable cages and better cabling space
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkSP3JCzBc0

Agreed on the water cooling from what trolls saying. If you intend to overclock a NOCTUA NH-D14 will do or a H100i if you are looking for something a bit more compact.

And yea I know what a builders power supply is but a i7+a 680+16gigs of ram just seems kind of a weird thing to put a V2 engine in a V8 configuration.

TRENDING THREADS