[SOLVED] New build help

Jul 16, 2020
Hi folks,

I have a 5 year old system which is struggling to run AAA games at 1080p at a decent frame rate:

AMD FX 8350 @ 4 GHz
Nvidia GTX970
16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz
Asrock 970 Extreme 4
PSU: Corsair GS600

I'm looking to upgrade to AM4 and have been looking into the ryzen 3 3300x and 3100. I dont want to spend too much upgrading, ideally about £400. In order to save some money im wondering if i could keep the GTX 970 or would this create a bottleneck and if so what would be a good gpu choice.

Also should I purchase a new PSU or could I keep my current.

My budget includes buying a new case, DDR4 RAM, psu and possibly cooling - I have no plan on overclocking - but plan on keeping my current HDD and SSD.

Big thanks for any help in advance

Solution
Why are you trying to avoid a GPU bottleneck? What's bad about your CPU having a ton of headroom while your GPU is running at 100%? GPU bottleneck is the ideal situation if you ask me. This way you can keep a ton of background applications running, heck a virus scan can happen in the background and you won't even notice it when playing your game simply because your CPU has headroom.
Why are you trying to avoid a GPU bottleneck? What's bad about your CPU having a ton of headroom while your GPU is running at 100%? GPU bottleneck is the ideal situation if you ask me. This way you can keep a ton of background applications running, heck a virus scan can happen in the background and you won't even notice it when playing your game simply because your CPU has headroom.

Solution
Jul 16, 2020

Hi sorry I just presumed a bottleneck was a bad thing. Would you say that build would be an alright match?

Hi sorry I just presumed a bottleneck was a bad thing. Would you say that build would be an alright match?
Yes a R3 3300X with a gtx 970 is a good matchup. Although the CPU doesn't have a huge amount of headroom since it's a 4c/8t CPU, it's still a good pair. Probably don't wanna look at the 3100 since it's only a little bit cheaper while the 3300x has superior gaming performance.

Jul 16, 2020
Yes a R3 3300X with a gtx 970 is a good matchup. Although the CPU doesn't have a huge amount of headroom since it's a 4c/8t CPU, it's still a good pair. Probably don't wanna look at the 3100 since it's only a little bit cheaper while the 3300x has superior gaming performance.

Hi, thanks for that. Do you think I should just keep my old power supply thats been running for around 5 years or get a new one?