Question New build high pitched whine

May 20, 2023
Hi everyone, copy/pasting a reddit post I made in hopes of getting some help here:

I made a post on reddit about a month ago regarding some whine coming from a new build: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/12h8r4c/new_build_high_pitched_whine/

I did end up running without the GPU to isolate the noise to the mobo, saw a couple people vouching that the board was whiny, and went through 2 RMAs with no luck. Then I replaced the ASRock board with an ASUS one cause I read about the acoustic mitigation feature.

Seems to be working somewhat? The whine will still pop up after around 30-60 mins of use. Kinda just accepted it at this point, but are there any final diagnostic things or fixes anyone can suggest for this issue?

PCpartpicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Ff2N3y

D

Deleted member 2947362

Coil whine is a non issue it does not effect the running of the device, other than it can be annoying that's about it.

No advice is going to totally stop it or make much difference.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, did you take a sheet of A4 paper, rolling it into a tube, holding one end to your ear and then using the other end to probe for the source of the noise?

I'd try and see if you can source(borrow, not buy) another PSU with slightly more wattage than you have at your entire system's disposal and see if the issue is persists.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Its due to high frequencies the more load they put on the system more likely you'll hear it if you have whiney coils PSU can do it, graphics cards , Motherboard its annoying but not an issue.

May 20, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

For the sake of relevance, did you take a sheet of A4 paper, rolling it into a tube, holding one end to your ear and then using the other end to probe for the source of the noise?

I'd try and see if you can source(borrow, not buy) another PSU with slightly more wattage than you have at your entire system's disposal and see if the issue is persists.
Thanks for the welcome!

I did do the whole "listening through a tube" thing along with running the system without various components, and I'd say I'm fairly certain it's coming from my motherboard

As for the PSU, I'm not sure how accurate PCPartPicker's estimated wattage is, but I'm running a 850W PSU on a system using an estimated 670W

Again, not really worried about the whine, just wanted to see if there were any remaining diagnostics or fixes I could do

Lutfij

Titan
You can't fix anything related to power, unless you're very adept with a soldering iron and you have the same power delivery components as spare...but at that point you're going to be tampering with a device, meaning your warranty is void. In short, there's nothing to service here/there only RMA or spend more and look at higher tier parts since they harbor better quality componentry(although that can also be argued since top tier boards have been known to have good parts shoehorned with subpar componentry).

D

Deleted member 2947362

If the coils on the hardware inherently have this whine there's really not much that can be done, I had a graphics card that done the same it seemed to just go away after some time and I would think great it stopped doing it, then I play a game that stresses the gfx card and it was back lol

used to annoy me but it was just a case of the card had coils that whined when under load.

I used to think ffs how come it's me that get's the card with whiney coils then I just became whiney myself

so we were quite a good match lol

Last edited by a moderator: