Build Advice New Build Hobby Game Development and General Gaming

Sep 8, 2022
Hey everybody, was hoping to make this post later but a lightning strike and a clearly useless surge protector ended up nuking my Router (got it replaced) and my older PC that was still chugging along. With that being said I'm looking to get a new build to last the next several years as I start working on Game Development tasks, mostly hobby level, but then I'm also an avid gamer. I know AMD came out with it's new stuff, but as someone working with programs that require some power, I wasn't sure if it would be worth it to be a "Tester" for the newest release.

Approximate Purchase Date: As early as this week.

Budget Range: $5000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Hobby 3D Modelling/Programming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Whole new system

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
None

Parts Preferences: I like Asus but that's just because of having history with them, I can easily be convinced to swap around.

Overclocking: Maybe, I've never actually tried or really looked into overclocking, think it'd be worth giving it a whirl?

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: Primary is 1440p - 144hz, 2 secondary at 1080p - 120hz

Additional Comments: I run solely off wifi, not sure if that matters overall for new boards or not.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old computer finally died due to the power of nature, I work as a community manager but I'd like to build a PC that will last me years and have the power to allow me to dive into the more brain powered gaming development tasks.

Thanks again, y'all did fantastic with the help of the build I did years ago. =)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

AMD's AM5 platform isn't going to come out for a few more weeks. If you need a system, you can source parts to satisfy a build from either Intel's camp(12th gen) or AMD's camp(AM4). If you can wait, that would be the best course of action. If you can't, we can move forward. One other thing, can you please state the app's you'd like to tax your proposed system with?

Sep 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

AMD's AM5 platform isn't going to come out for a few more weeks. If you need a system, you can source parts to satisfy a build from either Intel's camp(12th gen) or AMD's camp(AM4). If you can wait, that would be the best course of action. If you can't, we can move forward. One other thing, can you please state the app's you'd like to tax your proposed system with?
Yeah I do need it sooner rather than later. Sorry totally forgot to include programs and what not for more details!

Primarily I use the Adobe Suite + Davinci Resolve regularly for work and will most likely be learning Blender as my first option into Game Dev
Other than that game wise I'm pretty standard with across the board ranging from indies all the way to Competitive FPS.
So if we can have a good middle ground for gaming and work then that would be the ideal.

Thanks!