Question New build, huge cpu temp problem

Nov 2, 2019
I7 9700k

Dark rock 4 (single tower, 135mm fan, 200w tdp)

Corsair vengeance RGB pro 3600 mhz

ASRock z390 extreme4

GTX 1070 Founders edition

Fractal design Meshify C

And a 750w power supply

Alright so idle depending on room temperature my cpu sits at about 25c - 35c on all cores, while playing games under a decent load (40-70%) it’s getting no hotter than 70 -75c but that was a little higher than I thought it should be so I decide to run cinebench. No more than 5 seconds into the test some of my cores spiked to 110c while the rest were tailing closely. I immediately stopped running it, and cores drop back down to idle temps, no hot air coming out the back at all. Keep in mind this processor is not OC, MCE is disabled and all voltages are auto determined by my mobo. The only setting I’ve changed in UEFI is enabling xmp. Just not sure what to do here, I did open my case and notice my cpu fan was blowing counter clockwise or in other words towards the front of the case which I think may be the problem but I’m just not sure because I could swear it is installed correctly. I have two 140mm case fans pulling air in from the front so my cpu fan should push that air through the heat sink and out the exhaust fan in the back right? Once again just kind of stumped here, I don’t want to hurt my brand new processor lol. Any help is appreciated!

Karadjgne

Titan
Herald
2 things come to mind immediately since performance wise everything in your build is appropriate (pretty nice too).
  1. The cooler isn't mounted properly. I've seen multiple posts where ppl don't screw the cpu cooler down fully seated as it should be, because of fear they'll hurt the cpu.
  2. You forgot/missed the plastic safety film under the cooler that protects the base/pre-applied paste, so aren't getting any actual contact between the paste and cpu.
The fan should be mounted on the cpu cooler so it looks the same as the exhaust fan. There's a noticeable difference between the clean looks of the front of the fan and the wiring/sticker/motor housing look to the back of the fan.

Nov 2, 2019
2 things come to mind immediately since performance wise everything in your build is appropriate (pretty nice too).
  1. The cooler isn't mounted properly. I've seen multiple posts where ppl don't screw the cpu cooler down fully seated as it should be, because of fear they'll hurt the cpu.
  2. You forgot/missed the plastic safety film under the cooler that protects the base/pre-applied paste, so aren't getting any actual contact between the paste and cpu.
The fan should be mounted on the cpu cooler so it looks the same as the exhaust fan. There's a noticeable difference between the clean looks of the front of the fan and the wiring/sticker/motor housing look to the back of the fan.
Appreciate the help, so are you saying I should just make the cpu fan face the other way? Or in other words have the back of it facing the ram? Because currently my exhaust fan is placed backwards. Here is a picture of my setup for reference.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQOGZGO

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS